U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 03:16 PM

6 posts, read 9,176 times

Advertisements

I am searching for my maternal grandmother. Her maiden name is Norma Lee Keaton. She was born in February 1928 in Maricopa County Arizona. So she would be 84 now. Her parents were Ike and Bonnie. I have found her parents names and her birth information on a US census. I also found reference to a brother named Earl Junior Keaton on that census.

When my mother was about 2 years old she was taken away from Norma by her father and kept away from her. When my mom was in her 40's she found out that her mother had sent letters but the family sent them back return to sender. I know that my mother was born in Colorado Springs to Norma Lee Keaton (maiden name) and Walter Steves. Norma also had another child who would be my mothers half brother before she married my grandfather and his name was Robert. If anyone has heard of either Norma or Robert please contact me. I would love to find the answers for my mother.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 11:44 PM

25,648 posts, read 25,541,890 times
Hi--I looked in Ancestry.com and someone does have Ike and Bonnie but all the rest of their information is kept private. I can't find anyone you mentioned on a census. What year did you find Norma Lee and her brother on the census? Do you know Robert's last name?

I don't know how good I am at going forward. I do genealogy so I usually go backward.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:43 AM

Norma Lee Keaton was born in February 1928. She shows up on the 1930 and 1940 census. I also found a Earl Jr. Keaton born to Ike and Bonnie on Sorted by Name in 1924. We do not know if Robert's last name is Keaton or not. I do know that Norma had him before she met my grandfather. My grandfather told my mother he had adopted him. So, his last name might be Steves. Or, she could have remarried and he took her new husband's name. I'm just starting to look for her so any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:45 AM

128 posts, read 308,392 times
Were you aware of Karl Keaton? (I guess it could be Earl mis-transcribed).

From the 1940 Census:

Name:Norma Lee Keaton
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1928
Race:White
Birthplace:Arizona
Marital Status:Single
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Home in 1940:Maricopa, Arizona
Street:South Seventh Street
Inferred Residence in 1935:Rural, Maricopa, Arizona
Residence in 1935:Rural, Maricopa, Arizona
Resident on farm in 1935:No
Sheet Number:2A
Attended School or College:Yes
Highest Grade Completed:Elementary school, 6th grade
Household Members:

Name Age

Bonnie Keaton 38**

Norma Lee Keaton 12

Karl Keaton 4

B J Gray 67*

*BJ is listed as "father".

** Bonnie's occupation is "housekeeper" to private employer.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:34 PM

and it looks like Karl died in 1952. On Find A Grave he is listed as Karl Lee Grossett (Keaton). Father--Arthur Lee Grossett. Bonnie had died and Arthur and his wife may have adopted him. Maricopa, Arizona.

An obituary from the local newspaper might provide further information on the whereabouts of Norma Lee or of a married name for her. I can't find anything else on her.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:11 PM

There is an entire article on Arthur Lee Grossett if you google his name.

I'm not sure if the article is copyrighted or not but it says that he was the common law husband of Bonnie and Karl was their child. Bonnie had two other children previously: Norma Lee and Floyd. There is a complete obituary for Arthur with names of his relatives, including his daughters. (He had two previous marriages.)

Although the obituary dates from back in 1961, it does give names and locations of the relatives so maybe you could use city directories or voting lists or some other locating tools to find their descendants. Maybe one of them will know what happened to Norma Lee.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:59 PM

I had seen the records which mention Karl. But, Arthur Lee Grossett is new information. I googled his name after I read your message but I can't find the article you are talking about. Maybe if I could find his other children they might have information about my grandmother.

My mom says that Norma lived with an aunt and uncle after her mother died. But, she doesn't know their names. She was told this by her father.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 PM

Type in Norma Lee Keaton and you come up with a mini gold mine on Arthur Lee Gossett. Even if it doesn't bear fruit, it's interesting to read and gives you some more background. Someone is doing genealogical research and they even have a contact email address. I was amazed to see all of it.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:07 AM

13,409 posts, read 18,468,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lljordan View Post
I am searching for my maternal grandmother. Her maiden name is Norma Lee Keaton. I know that my mother was born in Colorado Springs to Norma Lee Keaton (maiden name) and Walter Steves. Norma also had another child who would be my mothers half brother before she married my grandfather and his name was Robert.
So, your grandfather was Walter Steves?

Since Norma had Robert before she met and married Walter, then I see little reason why Steve's next wife after Norma, (or Walter's daughter in law) would not be willing to tell you what they know about Robert.
Why?
a. Because Robert may have been adopted by Walter and is related to her that way.
b. Because the Norma-Robert matter happened before she became Mrs. Steves, and therefore talking to you about Robert may not too personal to her, because it happened before she married Walter.

Norma's side with Karl or Earl, etc. is a bit complicated.

So, going straight to Walter's widow, or daughter in law, may get you some piece of information to help you find Robert.

If you have her address then consider writing her.
If you want her address I can send it to you.
Let me know.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:40 PM

23 posts, read 35,803 times
Norma Lee's aunt Lenora (Bonnie's sister) died in 2001. She still has a daughter living in Arizona who might have some answers. Also found loads more info on various family members, including a newspaper clip on Karl's death. Send me a direct message and I'll get you the info and documents I turned up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search