Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,065 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I´m Caroline and I live in Germany - my father was born in Winnsboro 1930.
He left the States when he was 16 and he never went back. He stayed in
Germany and had a family. 27 years ago he died and now I´m hoping to
find some relatives and to find out more about the american part of my
family. Can somebody please help me ?? I hardly know anything - my father´s
parents were Rosie and Jim (he died and Rosie married again). Father had
many brothers and sisters (I guess 13) - one of them was Utah and his
daughter was Ouida. That´s all I know....
Please, help me find any Wiggins. Thanks alot...
Greetings from Bavaria, Germany
Caroline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,404 times
Hello Ratwitch! I've dabbled in genealogy in the past and can offer a little bit of advice. First get as many names as you can, your father's brothers, sisters, parents', grandparents, etc. Go to the Winnsboro town website, Welcome to the Offical Web Site for Winnsboro Louisiana - Our Home on the Internet!, and get the phone number to the courthouse to see if you can get any records with your family's names. Use the town website to request info (information) on any local genealogy groups, and find the library address and/or phone number. Sometimes libraries have lots of information on local genealogy.

If your father was Catholic you could try contacting the Archdiocese to obtain birth and marriage records. Here's the site for the one in New Orleans, Archdiocese of New Orleans, ask them who to contact for records in the Winnsboro area.

Another good source for information is the US Census for 1930, unfortunately the one for 1940, has not been released. I used to use this site a lot, ancestry.com, I paid a fee, but it saved me lots of trips to the library downtown.

I hope this helps a bit . Best wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search