Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 02:05 PM

8,364 posts, read 7,551,420 times

Advertisements

Just one little extra tidbit. I found Louis Moore's WWI draft registration card. He registered in September 1918. His full name is listed as Louis A. Moore. His wife is Jennie Moore. His birthdate is given as March 20 1876. Their address at that time was 74 Pleasant St. Waterbury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
Yes I had seen that earlier Census with Jennie Ney but did not delve into it as deeply as you have. Why do you think she had the last name Ney. Could her father or mothers name have been Ney and she was not actually the child of Louis Moore?
She was not Louis' Moore's child. The 1910 Census indicates that Louis had been married to your great-grandmother for less than a year. Your grandmother was 14. So, she was Louis' step-daughter.

The last name of Ney probably means that Jennie Moore had a first husband with a last name of Ney. They had a daughter together, Jennie Nye (your grandmother) and then he either died or they were divorced and she married Louis Moore.

There is, of course, also the possibility that Jennie Moore had never been married before and your grandmother was an illegitimate child. That would mean that your great grandmother's maiden name was also Ney.

But, I think that the first scenario is the more likely of the two and Louis was your great grandmother's second husband.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:28 PM

So, I am looking at the 1945 City Directory for Waterbury CT.

In it, I see Louis and Jennie Moore living at 74 Pleasant Street.

I do not see a listing for Mildred M. Galvin, your mother.

I do, however, see your father (Joseph L.) listed. His listing says that he is "In the U.S. Navy."

I mention this because somehow I'd gotten the impression that your Dad joined the military AFTER you were born. But, from this listing, it sounds like the year before he met your mother, he actually already was in the military. Is that correct? Or do I have the wrong name for your Dad?

I ask because it might help us find a marriage license/certificate for the two of them.

Here is the link to the 1945 City Directory on Ancestry via Louis Moore. Click on the image to access the full directory. You can flip through the pages that way and get to your Dad.

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...=successSource

Old 11-04-2017, 02:46 PM

I'm now looking at the 1946 City Directory for Waterbury. This likely would be the year that your parents met and perhaps conceived you.

Louis and Jennie Moore are listed.

Mildred M. Galvin is not.

Your father is listed again as "in the U. S. Navy"

Again, please confirm if I have his name right (Joseph L. B....)

If so, the fact that he was in the Navy while dating your mother may help us find other information that can help you find your mother.

Here is the link to the 1946 Directory -- click through to the actual directory then look up your father's last name in it.

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive...ePUB=true&_phs

Old 11-04-2017, 03:00 PM

197 posts, read 194,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
So, I am looking at the 1945 City Directory for Waterbury CT.

In it, I see Louis and Jennie Moore living at 74 Pleasant Street.

I do not see a listing for Mildred M. Galvin, your mother.

I do, however, see your father (Joseph L.) listed. His listing says that he is "In the U.S. Navy."

I mention this because somehow I'd gotten the impression that your Dad joined the military AFTER you were born. But, from this listing, it sounds like the year before he met your mother, he actually already was in the military. Is that correct? Or do I have the wrong name for your Dad?

I ask because it might help us find a marriage license/certificate for the two of them.

Here is the link to the 1945 City Directory on Ancestry via Louis Moore. Click on the image to access the full directory. You can flip through the pages that way and get to your Dad.

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...=successSource

My Dad was in the navy for WWII and out in 1946, only to reenter Navy in 1950 for the Korean Conflict. His address while he was in for Korea was at my Aunt's place which was 119 Rawley Ave, Waterbury Ct. which is where I was staying with my Aunt while my dad was away. The Directories for those Korean war days showed that address each year until he was out after Korea (1950 -1954) He does not show up in Waterbury Directories again until 1959, listed with his new wife Mary M. I believe that the missing years 1955 - 1958 is when we were transferred to Michigan.

If you check the Waterbury dir. for 1948 under Beausoleil, Joseph L. you will see Mildred's name shown in the same fashion as other wives were listed.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I'm now looking at the 1946 City Directory for Waterbury. This likely would be the year that your parents met and perhaps conceived you.

Louis and Jennie Moore are listed.

Mildred M. Galvin is not.

Your father is listed again as "in the U. S. Navy"

Again, please confirm if I have his name right (Joseph L. B....)

If so, the fact that he was in the Navy while dating your mother may help us find other information that can help you find your mother.

Here is the link to the 1946 Directory -- click through to the actual directory then look up your father's last name in it.

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive...ePUB=true&_phs

That 1946 listing of him shows his parents address. He was discharged at some point in March 1946 and according to my dad's sister's records the marriage to Mildred took place on Feb 4, 1947 with no location mentioned. Plenty of time for them to meet.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
That 1946 listing of him shows his parents address. He was discharged at some point in March 1946 and according to my dad's sister's records the marriage to Mildred took place on Feb 4, 1947 with no location mentioned. Plenty of time for them to meet.
OK, got it. I should have known you would be all over it already. As you mentioned earlier, I see Joseph and Mildred in the 1948 Directory. They are listed as husband and wife.

So, after you were born and your mother left, your father re-enlisted in the military?

Old 11-04-2017, 03:29 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,064,108 times
This is perfect example of why I stay away from these threads where the op has a closed
mind.

You'll never find who you're looking for if you don't fully read the posts because you think you
have all the answers. So many times you have only have partial answers.
Read the posts and thInk before you respond . Don't assume everything you've found is correct.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
OK, got it. I should have known you would be all over it already. As you mentioned earlier, I see Joseph and Mildred in the 1948 Directory. They are listed as husband and wife.

So, after you were born and your mother left, your father re-enlisted in the military?
I would have to say Yes. as a toddler I have no memory of events until such time as as I was living with my Aunt Betty my Dad's sister in law age 2 and beyond

Old 11-04-2017, 05:18 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,465,973 times
Quote:
She was not Louis' Moore's child. The 1910 Census indicates that Louis had been married to your great-grandmother for less than a year. Your grandmother was 14. So, she was Louis' step-daughter.

The last name of Ney probably means that Jennie Moore had a first husband with a last name of Ney. They had a daughter together, Jennie Nye (your grandmother) and then he either died or they were divorced and she married Louis Moore.

There is, of course, also the possibility that Jennie Moore had never been married before and your grandmother was an illegitimate child. That would mean that your great grandmother's maiden name was also Ney.

But, I think that the first scenario is the more likely of the two and Louis was your great grandmother's second husband.
Well, that census states Mrs Moore was the mother of 0 live children of 0 children born. That would suggest Jennie Ney was not her child. Perhaps she was a relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search