Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 09:18 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
Question: What is normal on a Baptismal certificate, listing the father's name and the Mother's maiden name or the Mother's married name? Anyone know?
In the Catholic Church, the mother's maiden name is always used on Baptismal certificates and in the official church register of the baptism. At least, that is how it is on my mother's (1928), mine (1956) and my kids (both 1980s) baptism certificates.

So, there is nothing out of the ordinary with your baptism certificate.

Actually, if you take another look at your civil birth certificate, you'll notice your mother's maiden name is also used there.

Birth certificates and baptism certificates don't prove or disprove parental marriage for this reason.

For that, you need to find the actual marriage record, either the civil (marriage license) or religious (church).

Last edited by RosieSD; 11-21-2017 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 01:41 PM

197 posts, read 195,881 times
Default Not our Mildred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
I've been able to eliminate several Mildreds with dob of 4/14/1928 by determining that they
were either not born a Galvin or where the middle name/initial is not a match.

I found a Mildred Cohen, age 89, with dob 4/14/1928 in NYC. But, I have not been able to
determine if she is a Cohen by birth or marriage and there is no middle name/initial mentioned.
There are also no names of relatives or associated people attached to her name. New York, NY
is the only place of residence listed, but not unusual if she's been there a long time.

The only address I was able to find associated with her is 593 Columbus Ave, New York, NY. That
address is for the Goddard Riverside Community Center which provides senior services as well
as housing residences for the elderly, disabled or low income. The website is goddard.org.

I know this is a complete long shot, but maybe the great searchers here, such as Howard555,
RosieSD or historyfan can find additional info.

I did some digging on our Mildred Cohen with the same birthday as my Mom. She was born a Cohen in 1928 and can be found in the 1930 Census of NY, NY District 0001-0250 Image 13 of 30. Found this info on Family Search.com . I believe her father's name was Abraham Cohen.

The Mildred M Galvin we are searching was also listed in the 1930 Census, but at 67 Eastwood Ave. Waterbury Connecticut.

I was hoping your long shot was the one, but the search goes on. Thanks

Old 11-21-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
In the Catholic Church, the mother's maiden name is always used on Baptismal certificates and in the official church register of the baptism. At least, that is how it is on my mother's (1928), mine (1956) and my kids (both 1980s) baptism certificates.

So, there is nothing out of the ordinary with your baptism certificate.

Actually, if you take another look at your civil birth certificate, you'll notice your mother's maiden name is also used there.

Birth certificates and baptism certificates don't prove or disprove parental marriage for this reason.

For that, you need to find the actual marriage record, either the civil (marriage license) or religious (church).
Thanks. It is hard to believe that everything we have all learned started with only my birth certificate. Obtaining a copy of my Mom's birth cert. verified the family connection to the Galvins I had been looking at, but also provided us with the complete date of birth for Mildred, which may end up being a very valuable piece of the search.

I figured a maiden name would be used on a birth certificate seeing as how there a lot of births to unmarried individuals, a group that I may eventually find myself a part of.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:37 PM

The Sacramental Register of a Catholic Church is used to record any of the 7 Sacraments in the Catholic Faith. Marriage being one of them. I have requested through the Parish Secretary a search of the Sacramental Register to perhaps verify the marriage of my birth parents. My Father's family were members of St. Anne's Church in Waterbury, CT. They may or may not have been married there, but it is certainly worth the effort. As usual I will update the forum when I hear back.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:37 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Thanks. It is hard to believe that everything we have all learned started with only my birth certificate. Obtaining a copy of my Mom's birth cert. verified the family connection to the Galvins I had been looking at, but also provided us with the complete date of birth for Mildred, which may end up being a very valuable piece of the search.

I figured a maiden name would be used on a birth certificate seeing as how there a lot of births to unmarried individuals, a group that I may eventually find myself a part of.
Yes, other people searching for parents can learn so much from your example, Mr. Skin.

Having your birth certificate and your mother's birth certificate provided several critical pieces of information: her middle name, her birth date, and confirmation of who her parents were, which of course has led to so much other information, including your cousins having the photo of you with your mother (one of my favorite stories from this search). So, excellent work on your part Mr. Skin!

I know many of us will be waiting anxiously to hear about whether anything is revealed through DNA matching. Please keep us in the loop.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Yes, other people searching for parents can learn so much from your example, Mr. Skin.

Having your birth certificate and your mother's birth certificate provided several critical pieces of information: her middle name, her birth date, and confirmation of who her parents were, which of course has led to so much other information, including your cousins having the photo of you with your mother (one of my favorite stories from this search). So, excellent work on your part Mr. Skin!

I know many of us will be waiting anxiously to hear about whether anything is revealed through DNA matching. Please keep us in the loop.
You can count on that!

Old 11-22-2017, 10:20 AM

Request mailed out today 11/22/2017 to State of Connecticut Vital Statistics to try to locate a copy of my parents Marriage License. If they locate it, then it becomes another piece of the puzzle. Not a day goes by without some sort of searching, requesting, DNA testing, emailing or calling a cousin.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:22 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
Request mailed out today 11/22/2017 to State of Connecticut Vital Statistics to try to locate a copy of my parents Marriage License. If they locate it, then it becomes another piece of the puzzle. Not a day goes by without some sort of searching, requesting, DNA testing, emailing or calling a cousin.
You should also be asking for marriage records for Mildred after your father not to your father. Unless she died in some unexpected accident I am guessing she remarried.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:43 AM

Default Next Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
You should also be asking for marriage records for Mildred after your father not to your father. Unless she died in some unexpected accident I am guessing she remarried.
I plan on finding out where in New York I can request marriage records for Mildred. Was hoping to hear from the NY Medical Examiners Records Department before doing that. If they take too long I may go ahead anyway and request marriage records. Costs to all of these State and Local agencies are starting to add up. My birth certificate did not mention if I had a Silver Spoon in my mouth.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:46 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
I plan on finding out where in New York I can request marriage records for Mildred. Was hoping to hear from the NY Medical Examiners Records Department before doing that. If they take too long I may go ahead anyway and request marriage records. Costs to all of these State and Local agencies are starting to add up. My birth certificate did not mention if I had a Silver Spoon in my mouth.
Couldn't you do it from the link I left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search