Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 02:31 PM

8,364 posts, read 7,551,420 times

Advertisements

Good work NorthofHere!

However, I think we need to use caution. There was more than one Galvin family living in Waterbury and the next town over during the 1839-1950 time period. Some of the Galvin's in each family had similar names (including Mildred!). So, it's possible that the family on the 1930 Census is not the right Galvin family.

For instance, the Mildred K. in the city directory in 1945-1946 is living with an Anna Galvin, who is the widow of a Joseph Galvin. They also had a son Donald (confirmed by his service records) and possibly a daughter Mildred too.

I hope that the original poster comes back and can answer some additional questions so we can narrow down which family we are seeking.

All that said, assuming (and it's just an assumption at this point) that the family from the Census is the right one, the obituaties of the two siblings that you found do not mention a sister Mildred as a survivor. Which suggests that Mildred either (1) died before 2001 OR (2) the family had a falling out and the family didn't know her whereabouts in 2001. Number 1 is much more likely than number 2, of course.

But, still, we don't know which Galvin family we're chasing with 100% certainty just yet.

And, of course, we still have to track down Mildred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 03:25 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,475,771 times
The one I posted DOB is 11/03/1928 if that helps.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
My birth mother's name is Mildred May Galvin born in Waterbury Ct. She would be 89 years old if still living. She gave birth to me in 1948 in Waterbury, CT. I do not remember anything about her as she was out of my life by the time I was two years old. I have heard that she may have run off to New York State. If she married and took on her husbands name I may never find her. If you know a woman named Mildred May about 89 years old and from Connecticut originally I would appreciate you posting any leads I might use. My Dad passed away and never told me anything about her. Thanks
Were your Dad and birth mother ever married?

Is Galvin her maiden name? Or was her maiden name May?

Old 10-27-2017, 01:37 PM

3,181 posts, read 2,375,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Good work NorthofHere!

However, I think we need to use caution. There was more than one Galvin family living in Waterbury and the next town over during the 1839-1950 time period. Some of the Galvin's in each family had similar names (including Mildred!). So, it's possible that the family on the 1930 Census is not the right Galvin family.

For instance, the Mildred K. in the city directory in 1945-1946 is living with an Anna Galvin, who is the widow of a Joseph Galvin. They also had a son Donald (confirmed by his service records) and possibly a daughter Mildred too.

I hope that the original poster comes back and can answer some additional questions so we can narrow down which family we are seeking.

All that said, assuming (and it's just an assumption at this point) that the family from the Census is the right one, the obituaties of the two siblings that you found do not mention a sister Mildred as a survivor. Which suggests that Mildred either (1) died before 2001 OR (2) the family had a falling out and the family didn't know her whereabouts in 2001. Number 1 is much more likely than number 2, of course.

But, still, we don't know which Galvin family we're chasing with 100% certainty just yet.

And, of course, we still have to track down Mildred.
True, but it is also possible they are relatives. I do know through searching that the OP posted elsewhere about his mother and he does know his father so he could further find out before contacting these people from the marriage record for his parents which should list her parents. Hopefully Connecticut is not like NY and doesn't hinder this information. There are a number of investigative methods he needs to do and then determine if indeed these people are his relatives.

Oh and the OP's last name is not anything mentioned here. I won't post it because he should be the one to do so, if he comes back.

Edit 2, from the facebook site I found, the 1930 Census is indeed his mother and apparently he found 4 cousins who know nothing. Parents may not have been married either but he knew his father.

I think we have given him as much as we can, it is up to him to find out more.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
True, but it is also possible they are relatives. I do know through searching that the OP posted elsewhere about his mother and he does know his father so he could further find out before contacting these people from the marriage record for his parents which should list her parents. Hopefully Connecticut is not like NY and doesn't hinder this information. There are a number of investigative methods he needs to do and then determine if indeed these people are his relatives.

Oh and the OP's last name is not anything mentioned here. I won't post it because he should be the one to do so, if he comes back.

Edit 2, from the facebook site I found, the 1930 Census is indeed his mother and apparently he found 4 cousins who know nothing. Parents may not have been married either but he knew his father.

I think we have given him as much as we can, it is up to him to find out more.
Thanks again, I found the other Facebook post you mentioned, and that helps answer my questions.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:17 PM

197 posts, read 194,577 times
I have actually spoken to that Mildred on the phone. She said she was born in Philadelphia and is a Galvin by marriage. Thanks for your effort!

Old 10-28-2017, 03:33 PM

Thanks. The Galvin family listed in the 1930 census is the correct family. That has been confirmed. Also, I have obtained a copy of her birth certificate by supplying Waterbury with id and copy of my birth certificate. Information on her BC tells me 100% that is the correct family. Newly found cousins were able to supply me with two photos one of which had Millie and Leon written on the back. Problem is, all of Millie's siblings are deceased except for one and she is 93 and has not seen or heard from her sister in 40 or fifty years. My job now is to find Mildred either living or laid to rest, preferably the former.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:39 PM

Galvin is her Maiden name and May is her middle name as listed on my BC. I have found no record of a marriage. Waterbury could not find anything, but they found her BC in record time.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:41 PM

Mildred May Galvin date of birth was 4/14/1928.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:48 PM

Just some additional info. Family was split up in the early 1930's as parents divorced and all children were placed in homes. Mildred definately was around Waterbury in 1947 and 1948. After that I can't say and no one seems to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search