Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 09:19 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

^^^^Wonderful ideas and input in these last few posts! Gets me wondering too.

I would BET that it is Jennie in that institution. And back then, people could simply commit someone to a mental institution by taking them there and putting them in. The person didn't have any rights. The specific information could easily have gotten mixed up because it could have been given casually with no real proof. Either by the person who took her there or else they asked her and she gave incorrect answers. I don't think they really cared much back then about the mentally ill and the mental institutions were only like prisons anyway. Very sad.

As for Mildred's accident, I think I remember that came out negative for NYC, didn't it? Did it come out negative for NY state? Or is that what Mr. Skin is waiting to hear about? Would it be possible to check nearby CT too? Since she was from CT, maybe she was sent back there before she passed away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 09:29 AM

14,474 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Would it be possible to check nearby CT too? Since she was from CT, maybe she was sent back there before she passed away.
Here is the CT death index through 1968 and we known Jennie predeceased her husband who died in 1965. 359 with the last name Galvin.

https://www.ctatatelibrarydata.org/death-records/

MILDR GALVIN 15/05/1962 NAUGATUCK

I think I posted that on a previous page. And yes that person's death date was after Mildred returned to NYC in 1960 which makes it remote but not totally impossible either.

Last edited by howard555; 01-16-2019 at 09:40 AM..

Old 01-16-2019, 11:47 AM

197 posts, read 195,916 times

I remember doing some research on the Mildred Galvin in Naugatuck some years ago and eventually learned that her middle initial was C. I just tried an obit lookup but nothing came up.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:02 PM

Default Clarification

Quote:
^^^^Wonderful ideas and input in these last few posts! Gets me wondering too.

I would BET that it is Jennie in that institution. And back then, people could simply commit someone to a mental institution by taking them there and putting them in. The person didn't have any rights. The specific information could easily have gotten mixed up because it could have been given casually with no real proof. Either by the person who took her there or else they asked her and she gave incorrect answers. I don't think they really cared much back then about the mentally ill and the mental institutions were only like prisons anyway. Very sad.

As for Mildred's accident, I think I remember that came out negative for NYC, didn't it? Did it come out negative for NY state? Or is that what Mr. Skin is waiting to hear about? Would it be possible to check nearby CT too? Since she was from CT, maybe she was sent back there before she passed away.

The results were negative from the Office of the Medical Examiner, NYC but they directed me to Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, As of this date I have not heard back and they have not cashed my check yet. If found I will receive a Death Certificate along with a cause of death. If not found I will receive a certified Record not Found. I intend to call them in the next few weeks to verify they are working on it.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post

I remember doing some research on the Mildred Galvin in Naugatuck some years ago and eventually learned that her middle initial was C. I just tried an obit lookup but nothing came up.
That's intriguing. We know that records can be wrong and it's only a middle initial. Naugatuck is so close to Waterbury too. An obituary could really help! I wonder if there would be some helpful information on that person's death certificate.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 AM

From register of deeds it looks like the ownership of the villa property "last" changed hands in 1976. I was hoping for 1960.
Maybe a relative of Hope Towers could provide a clue. We know from the advertisements that the property was owned by Towers as early as summer 1957 and maybe as late as 1960.

Surely an owner would know who was living there and may have been aware of anyone who resided there or worked there having left. And maybe a forwarding address for mail. Maybe by some near impossible chance Mildred had mail forwarded to her and maybe the person who forwarded the mail is still living and might have an address in NYC.

Ideas and clues are getting scarce indeed.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:02 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Quote:
That's intriguing. We know that records can be wrong and it's only a middle initial. Naugatuck is so close to Waterbury too. An obituary could really help! I wonder if there would be some helpful information on that person's death certificate.
We've researched that Mildred previously. That is not Mr Skin's Mildred.
She was daughter of Annie B Galvin. She was mentioned in this obit that details that Galvin family---April 30, 1960. Naugatuck Daily News from Naugatuck, Connecticut · Page 1

William E Galvin, Brother Of Fire Chief, Succumbs

William E. Galvin, Elmwood Ave., Bridgeport, a native of Naugatuck, and brother of Fire Chief Edward Galvin died yesterday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Margaret Russell, Fairfield. He was the son of the late Joseph E. and Anna. B.
Galvin. Besides his brother and daughter, he leaves a sister, Miss Mildred Galvin,- Naugatuck; two other daughters, Mrs. Maryann Brophy, Wolcott, and Mrs. Eleanor Forleto, Bridgeport; and a son, William Galvin, Bridgeport.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:00 PM

The time frame can be expanded backward to June 1956. Just how old was Nanette as the years go backward on the resort?

Old 01-18-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The time frame can be expanded backward to June 1956. Just how old was Nanette as the years go backward on the resort?
In 1956 she was 13. Year she was born was 1943.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:45 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
It's early, I wanted to go back over my "cheat post" //www.city-data.com/forum/peopl...l#post50236166 to go back over what we know and what questions could be asked now. I will try to sift back thru to do another cheat sheet of what we have since the last one so we have all the facts brought closer.

1. William J. Galvin was her father. Jennie E. Ney, mother - to my knowledge no divorce record was found but the family split up. Back then the father used to take the kids, live with his parents and remarry from what I've seen of trees in my family. Namely my hubs side. His mothers mother left; pretty sure I told the story. Mildred could be her mothers story but we managed to find her and we were able to match my hub with DNA from her 2nd set of kids. Mr Skin has not been able to do this but I'm unsure if he's uploaded anywhere except Ancestry and My Heritage. FTDNA would be awesome, so would GEDmatch which 23 and me users upload to. Mr Skin could also get a 23 and me test and just upload to FTDNA. You have to fish in all the ponds. Historyfan will back me up with this one.

2. The family was split up how did the boys stay in touch, what were there ages of kids then, does anyone remember? Also how did the girls manage to stay in touch?
Quote:
Story is that the parents divorced and the children were all
placed in homes. The oldest boy, Edward ran away and joined the
Army and would never again see his Mom or his sisters . He
did stay in touch with his brother Donald and his Father William.
( side note: all three were electricians at one time or another.) It is
my belief that sisters Catherine and Jane Marie stayed in touch and
visited with their children in tow.
3. Jennie going to an institution makes a lot of sense IMO. It was an easy way for a man to ditch his wife and or family.

4. Mildred may have married Joseph L. Beausoleil which I think we know this is a fact now? since they may not have officially divorced, she could be listed as Mildred Galvin or Beausoleil in any records after leaving Mr Skin and his father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I was able to get copies of two newspaper ads about the Villa (one of which was found by historyfan ). The name of the Villa is spelled two different ways and I'll post them later.
-----------------------------------------------
I also have a document that shows a relationship between Hope Towers and Nanette.

Mr Skin you can let me know if you want this to be posted on the forum as the search for your mother continues on.

I also have the name of the person who currently owns the actual building which was the Villa. When and from whom they bought it is not certain and even if they were old enough to buy it in say 1960 they surely would have had to be at least age 20 or born 1940 and age 78 today.

The person who currently owns the property might have some records of who sold it to them and with some very good luck maybe that person can be located.
------------
What was the birth location for Nanette?

From where (city) did the party (Mildred, Esperanza and Nanette) leave for Cuba?
Windham if I'm not mistaken. I'll go back through the thread and locate that detail.
Going back over my cheat sheet, yes, Mildred listed Windham as residence when she sent for her birth certificate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Skin View Post
There is a record on Ancestry of a Mildred Galvin reentering the country thru port of New York from Havana, Cuba on November 9, 1959 as a US citizen returning and listing her residence as Windham, New York. The birth date matches my Moms exactly. It appears she may have been traveling with two other women who also listed their place of residence as Windham, New York. I have made one attempt today to contact the younger of the two women, left a message, and have not heard back. Not sure if the number was good as of yet. For a small town like Windham, NY what are the odds they were not traveling together? I will continue to pursue this avenue. Could not find a listing for Mildred Galvin in Windham, she might have been a renter or maybe even living with her fellow travelers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Well, there is that Nov. 1959 record of travel from Cuba to NY with the Heckers (Esperanza and Nanette). So, the last person that we are aware of seeing/knowing your Mom is Nanette Hecker. (Given her birth date, Esperanza is likely no longer alive).

I think your next step should be sending a letter to Nanette, mentioning what you found. She was old enough in 1959 to have some recollection of traveling with your mother, especially as the travel was during a pretty dramatic time in Cuba. It could be a dead end, but you seem to have good luck with strangers helping you with your journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search