Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 644 times

Advertisements

I am new to this so I'm not sure of what all I need to write.

My father passed away 2 years ago which is when I found out I may have brothers and sisters I have never met. His name was Willie Jones and he was born and raised in Lexington, KY. I don't know much more information then that except for he would have been 73 this year. He, also, liked to travel to Cincinnati, Ohio, Covington, KY and parts of Indiana. His mother's name was Dolly Jones and they lived in the same house for as long as I can remember.

I know this isn't much information. But, if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. I will try to update with post with any new information that I can dig up.

Thank you again for all of your help!!!

M. Lewis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 10:44 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Since we're so close to the holidays, it may take a while for people to have a chance to help out.

It would be helpful to know what type of research you've already done and which sources you've used for the information you've already found out. For instance, how did you learn about the possible step-siblings? Was it from a family member or from going through your Dad's records after he passed?

A few other questions might help folks help you:

1. Was Willie your father's actual legal first name, or was it short for William?

2. Do you know (or suspect) whether your siblings were born before you or after you? In either case, it might be helpful to know your birth year to give people a date to work around for ruling possibilities in or out.

3. What type of work did your father do?

4. You mentioned that he lived with your grandmother. Was that in Lexington, KY?

Others will probably chime in with more questions. Basically, the more you can remember about your father and your family, the better the odds of tracking down your half siblings.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:49 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
A few additional questions, based on a very cursory database search for Willie Jones in Lexington, KY

- do you know the street address of your grandmother's house in Lexington where your father lived? Was Dolly her legal first name, or a nickname?

- did your father have a middle name?

- what was your father's date of death, and where did he die?

There appear to have been several "Willie Jones'" and "William Jones'" in Lexington during the time your father was alive, so having the above information might help us zero on on the right Willie Jones more efficiently.

I'm focusing on more information about your father because that is probably going to be the easiest way to find out if he had more children. The more we know about your father, the better the odds of finding information on any of his children. (Unless, of course, you happen know the names of the other siblings...)

It's OK if you don't have the answers to all of these questions yet, but the more you can remember or find out from other family members, the better the odds will be.

Last edited by RosieSD; 12-22-2017 at 11:04 AM..

Old 12-22-2017, 11:27 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
It might prove beneficial to take one of the DNA tests like Ancestry DNA. There are holiday sales with deep discounts on normal fees. A close relative match could provide clues.

Gather as much info as you can and post it here. Full name, birthdate, birthplace, death date & location, race, religion, occupation, education, military service, marriages & names, names of relatives, organizations...

Old 12-22-2017, 04:20 PM

197 posts, read 195,916 times
Take a close look at your own Birth Certificate as it should contain info as to your father and mother's names, addresses, their ages at time of your birth and usually they ask the mother how many previous children have they had. Good luck!!

Old 12-23-2017, 12:19 PM

197 posts, read 195,916 times
Default More info needed

A quick search of SSDI produced upwards of 600 (very conservative estimate) Willie Jones before even getting to the ones with a middle initial. Of course most of them were not from Kentucky. From the info you supplied upfront I estimate he was born in 1944. By supplying as many details as possible, you help searchers narrow it down. Was it really Willie or was it William, date of Birth, wife's name etc, etc. Here is a sample of some Kentucky results, but none of the birth years was close to my estimate. This was the total number found from Kentucky. Knowing who he was will greatly increase chances of finding your siblings.

JONES, WILLIE was born 13 February 1911, received Social Security number 400-xx-xxxx (indicating Kentucky) and, Death Master File says, died April 1979. Research in ZIP Code 40741. Research in ZIP Code 40741
Source: Death Master File (public domain). Check Archives for WILLIE JONES

JONES, WILLIE was born 22 July 1905, received Social Security number 400-xx-xxxx (indicating Kentucky) and, Death Master File says, died March 1973. Research in ZIP Code 47250
Source: Death Master File (public domain). Check Archives for WILLIE JONES.

JONES, WILLIE was born 24 September 1875, received Social Security number 400-xx-xxxx (indicating Kentucky) and, Death Master File says, died January 1969. Research in ZIP Code 40422

JONES, WILLIE was born 25 April 1881, received Social Security number 400-xx-xxxx (indicating Kentucky) and, Death Master File says, died February 1963

JONES, WILLIE was born 31 October 1909, received Social Security number 400-xx-xxxx (indicating Kentucky) and, Death Master File says, died May 1980. Research in ZIP Code 40065

I understand we are looking for possible siblings, but it is important to know who your father was. I have removed ssn on the above names just so as to not step on anyone's toes. Post what you know and make sure it is accurate. Merry Christmas !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search