Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 09:17 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if these are done if it gives names of possible relatives?

I know someone who had it done but said it came back saying she was 99.5% Scotish and she thought there should be more Italian/Eastern European in there.

I actually know the back story and the relatives do not wish to be found. This is 50 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 01:27 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Does anyone know if these are done if it gives names of possible relatives?

I know someone who had it done but said it came back saying she was 99.5% Scotish and she thought there should be more Italian/Eastern European in there.

I actually know the back story and the relatives do not wish to be found. This is 50 years ago.
If you have names and dates and locations already then those could be used to find what you desire to find.
You may have seen the news story on TV and online maybe a year ago where someone found their mother after 44 years. They met and won't meet again. If your relatives do not want to be found for whatever reason you can still use the facts you have to locate names and such if you are working on a family tree.

DNA can help you locate step relatives, adoptions, distant cousins, etc. Those who specialize in DNA such as Roselvr can add their comments later.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:50 PM

Smile See below

I know the person that does not want to be found.

He has a half brother and maybe others that he doesn't even know about.

He did not want the responsibility of a child and walked out of everyone's life.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I know the person that does not want to be found.

He has a half brother and maybe others that he doesn't even know about.

He did not want the responsibility of a child and walked out of everyone's life.
That is a common event unfortunately on this forum and in real life. You can decide what you want to know about certain people as far as their names and dates of birth and death and there are people here who can help you find out what you desire to find. If you want to find the "half brother" and that half brother is a biological relative of yours then DNA could help you find these half siblings.

You can use every technique that exists to find someone but if they do not want to know you as a friend or former relative then they, and only they, make that decision. I recall an impossible search because there had been a name change. Once we found the person a letter was sent by the Op and they never got a reply back. It was up to the Aunt to reply back or not reply back (and she decided to not reply back).

Old 02-26-2018, 03:30 PM

Smile Here's the situation

Person A did a DNA test. What would come up?

Person A does not know this person was ever part of her life. It would not be a good idea to have this person around.

Person B is that person. He does not want to be found or have any responsibility. In fact, he wanted Person A not to be born.

As a relative, I know all this but Person A has had a good life so far and that life would not have existed with Person B in their lives.

Would Person A be able to find other relatives of Person B - that is the question.

No further finding/search is necessary. Just the opposite actually.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Person A does not know this person was ever part of her life. It would not be a good idea to have this person around.

Person B is that person. He does not want to be found or have any responsibility. In fact, he wanted Person A not to be born.

As a relative, I know all this but Person A has had a good life so far and that life would not have existed with Person B in their lives.

Would Person A be able to find other relatives of Person B - that is the question.

Yes DNA testing could help you.
Roselvr and others who are very knowledgeable about it and how it can help will respond shortly.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:17 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:

I'm just waking up. So person B, father of person A doesn't want to be found?
DNA will find anyone that's in the database linked to person B or the mother of person A.

Say "C" adopted out a child, C comes from a very large family. His niece does DNA, uploads to all the databases. Then various relatives from C's mother and fathers sides also do DNA; the adopted child would find them which could open a can of worms because no one knew C put a child for adoption. These days there are no secrets with DNA. C's best shot to control their secret not getting out was to do DNA in case the child looks. C didn't know so many of the family did DNA until theirs was done.

A would get matches, then figure out who their father's family is. From there they could probably find the father using public records. If A can test her mother, A can upload to GEDmatch to separate their DNA from their mothers with one of the add one there, that will tell A who matches the paternal results

Hope this answers your question

See my thread //www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post49250127 to read more about the free databases. Scroll to where it says now to the DNA in bold

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-27-2018 at 05:54 AM..

Old 03-31-2018, 11:00 AM

4,861 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:

I've had DNA test by 23&me and FTDNA. The process, reporting and matching are similar.

Let's say persons A and B both have DNA tests at 23& me. You pick a user name for yourself on the site. When the tests are completed, you will get matches to other users (with their user name). There is no identification by real name. The matching will estimate the level of relationship based on the closeness of the match. There are also different levels of tests which can produce different info. Each person can choose to contact the matching users and each person can decide whether or not to respond. If A and B are related, then there should be similar matches with other people for both. So, in that sense, other relatives may be identified by user name, but you would not know who they were unless they told you.

You only get matches against individuals that had their DNA tested by the same organization. For example, if two relatives had tests, say one with 23&me and one with Ancestry, no match would appear on either site. There are sites like gedmatch where you can upload your DNA results and it will compare against all others who have uploaded theirs.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:51 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I was tested on Ancestry and a 6th cousin in a scandanavian country contacted me to say hi. I was also contacted by a 1st cousin I knew might be out there but had no knowledge of. Ancestry makes you use your real name. I am happy with my results and contacts.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:10 AM

82 posts, read 78,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Ancestry makes you use your real name.
FWIW, Ancestry allows usernames. Your real name may be somewhere in their system (such as when paying for the DNA test) but you can set a random username. All other people will see is that username.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search