U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 06:26 PM

1,802 posts, read 7,867,944 times

Advertisements

I know this isn't really a geneology forum, but I hope no one minds if I ask. I've been told this area was named after my father's family. I don't know if this is true or not. My father's father was Dillard Henry Douglas born in 1886 in Alma Georgia. He moved to Florida, and we lost touch with the Georgia relatives. I have a little family history - I understand that his father was Henry Douglas (b. 1855 a twin, and married to Eliza), son of Alexander Douglas (b.1797, and married to Dicy). Henry had 9 children, and Alexander had 18. So I'm sure there are a lot of cousins around somewhere. Anyway, if anyone still lives in that area, and if any of these names sound familiar, I'd love to hear from you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 12:26 AM

3,700 posts, read 4,401,829 times
If you will check Wikipedia, Douglas is named after Stephen Arnold Douglas from Illinois, who ran as a nominee for president in 1860, but lost to Abraham Lincoln.

Did your ancestors move down from Illinois?

Old 07-19-2008, 07:06 AM

Not as far as I know - my ancestor(s) emigrated from Northern Ireland in the late 1600's. From what I pieced together, my direct ancestor first settled in Virginia, and then went south to Georgia. The family did eventually take root in the Douglas area, though - and this was before Stephen Douglas' time. They spelled their last name Douglass until the mid-1800's. Anyway, thanks for the info. I had heard about the Stephen Douglas connection with the name of the area. I was just curious about the local lore.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 AM

33 posts, read 132,281 times
Hi, I currently live in Douglas, GA and am familiar with Alma as well. I'm no expert on genealogy but I do have family members who are. The local library does have a genealogy dept. if you are ever visiting the area. Douglas was indeed named after a presidential candidate who ran against Lincoln.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:39 PM

33 posts, read 132,281 times
My genealogist contact says:

Alexander Douglas was born in Montgomery Co., Ga. in 1797, a son of Frederick Douglas. This Douglas family came from N.C. but believed to have originally been from Virginia. Alexander married Dicy Watson, born 1810, in Georgia, died Oct 11, 1887. They were the parents of 13 children with HENRY
DOUGLAS being the first child. Henry was born 1825, married Eliza Ann Carter. Source: Pioneers of Wiregrass Georgia by Huxford vol 2 (Note: there may have been more children but Huxford only names 13 in Vol.2. Will check further).

HENRY DOUGLAS (VOL.8)
He married Eliza Ann Carter a d/o George Carter & Mary Bennett. Eliza Ann had a twin brother named James Riley. George & Mary Bennett Carter had 10 children.

One needing info can visit the Gen.Dept at Satilla Regional Library (Douglas GA) and look at information in the DOUGLAS folder. Numerous people have researched this Alexander Douglas line.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:59 AM

Thanks so much for this information! I have never been to this area of Georgia, but it's definitely in my travel plans, and I will take your advice and check out the library. I really appreciate this.

Janet

Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,782 times
Default Henry and Eliza; The Douglas Family

Hello,

I found your message on this forum from some time back, but I wanted to contact you in case you are possibly still an active member. Also, I think I have some information that could help you. My grandparents are Douglas' and my great grandfather was Henry S. Douglas and I believe his father was also Henry Douglas, but I am unware of his full name. Henry S. Douglas married Sinda (her maiden name I do not recall off hand). One of my grandparents is Eliza. I am thinking that this may be part of the family that you are looking for, but I need to confirm some details with my parents as I do not recall them all at this time. If you are still active and still looking for some information, let me know and I will find out from my family all the exact details that you need.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I know this isn't really a geneology forum, but I hope no one minds if I ask. I've been told this area was named after my father's family. I don't know if this is true or not. My father's father was Dillard Henry Douglas born in 1886 in Alma Georgia. He moved to Florida, and we lost touch with the Georgia relatives. I have a little family history - I understand that his father was Henry Douglas (b. 1855 a twin, and married to Eliza), son of Alexander Douglas (b.1797, and married to Dicy). Henry had 9 children, and Alexander had 18. So I'm sure there are a lot of cousins around somewhere. Anyway, if anyone still lives in that area, and if any of these names sound familiar, I'd love to hear from you.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:59 PM

Hi graphix74 - Thanks for replying! Since I first posted this, I joined Ancestry.com and have been able to fill in some of the blanks on the Douglas(s) side of the family. Dillard Henry is my grandfather - born in 1886, and his father was Henry (b.1855) and was married to Elizabeth Carter, Henry's father was Alexander (b.1818) and was married to Dicy Branch, Alexander's, father was Frederick (b.1790) and was married to Bethany Anderson, Frederick's father was Alexander (b.1757) and was married to Elizabeth Webb, Alexander's father was also Alexander (b.1730) married to Dicey Watson, and Alexander's father was another Alexander (b.1700 in Antrim, Ireland) and was married to Elizabeth Knock.

I won't be able to trace the Douglas(s) line back any farther unless I upgrade my membership to be able to get into the European records. My Douglas(s) line orignally settled in North Carolina and then moved to Georgia, with some family members then settling in Florida. Does this sound like it could be your family as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search