Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 01:26 PM

23,789 posts, read 33,234,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefira View Post
Hello, its been a few years since my last post.
I have been trying to find any new information that may come up for Columbia Foster who has a relation named James C Foster and also Columbia Mora Vitale.
I cant seem to access any people search sites from Greece, i dont know why.
Since the last time we spoke my sister had taken a DNA test hopping that our brother would have also taken one, but with no luck.
I was wondering if it would be ok for me to ask if someone could run these names for me and see what new information may come up.
Thank you for your time and effort in trying to help me in the past.
Where did your sister do DNA? Did she do it at Ancestry who has the largest DNA database? Did she upload to My Heritage, FTDNA and GEDmatch for free family matching? 23 and me would be the next place to buy a test at. Their database is the 2nd largest.

Let me know because if she didn't upload to the 3 sites, I can give you directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 02:15 PM

62 posts, read 102,547 times
Hi, thank you for your reply,
She was tested at Ancestry and I did upload to all three sites you mentioned and at living dna. Unfortunately no close matches came up at any of these sites.

Old 07-03-2020, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Hi, thank you for your reply,
She was tested at Ancestry and I did upload to all three sites you mentioned and at living dna. Unfortunately no close matches came up at any of these sites.
Next suggestion would be to do a 23 and me test, hopefully he's there. Tests should be going on sale Black Friday. I'd been watching prices of tests there since about 2011, maybe even before that. $150 for the $200 health test was as low as it went. Wouldn't you know it, I bought a test in early 2019, the health went on sale for $99; lowest I'd ever seen.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:58 AM

I will eventually do a test on 23 and me, this will be my last chance of finding our brother.
Thank you for your help Roselvr.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I will eventually do a test on 23 and me, this will be my last chance of finding our brother.
Thank you for your help Roselvr.
I just went back and reread the whole thread. You've been doing everything right with the little info that you have. You've done a great job keeping up on this thread all of these years. At some point your brother may google and find it. It's happened before and could happen again. You're not defeated while City-Data is still online there is hope. So please keep coming back

I think 23 and me may be a great option because they offer a health test. Your brother may do one since he doesn't have health information for your dad's side of the family. Lots of people like him do it for that reason as well as hoping to connect with siblings.

When your brother went to Greece, do you know what happened that he did not end up meeting your dad? Did your dad blow it off?

Quote:
I asked my father and he is sertain her name was Columbia. I did find Columbia Watkins she is not living, i spoke to her daughter and comes out it isant the right one. I also found Columbia Baptista on reunion.com i sent her a message about 4 months ago but i didant receave an answer from her. I also found Columbia Alfonsi and columbia foster on peekyou sent a message to both but no response. I also found James C Foster on peekyou under Columbia Foster as his relative, sent him a message but didant answer. It has been months now and i dont understand why they dont just tell me it isant them so i can move on and search for another name.
Have you tried searching any of these people on facebook?

Old 07-05-2020, 02:58 PM

I have tried searching on facebook but I haven't come up with anything.

I am truly grateful for all the help everyone here has given me. I thank you all.
Hopefully he will one day stumble upon this thread.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:10 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,195,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I just went back and reread the whole thread. You've been doing everything right with the little info that you have. You've done a great job keeping up on this thread all of these years. At some point your brother may google and find it. It's happened before and could happen again. You're not defeated while City-Data is still online there is hope. So please keep coming back

I think 23 and me may be a great option because they offer a health test. Your brother may do one since he doesn't have health information for your dad's side of the family. Lots of people like him do it for that reason as well as hoping to connect with siblings.

When your brother went to Greece, do you know what happened that he did not end up meeting your dad? Did your dad blow it off?

Have you tried searching any of these people on facebook?
Quote:
I have tried searching on facebook but I haven't come up with anything.

I am truly grateful for all the help everyone here has given me. I thank you all.
Hopefully he will one day stumble upon this thread.
Just wanted to reiterate what Rose asked...

Old 07-05-2020, 05:14 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,465,973 times
Was Columbia from a Greek-American family? If so the Greek Orthodox churches of Baltimore might be able to help with your search in the Greek community of Baltimore.

Here is a website for a Greek American newsletter. Perhaps they would tell the story of your search.

Last edited by historyfan; 07-05-2020 at 05:29 PM..

Old 07-05-2020, 11:21 PM

LLCNYC your right I didn't answer the question,
This is what I know of about my brothers visit to Greece, a friend of my fathers was at a Cafe not far from my village. A young man had a photo of my father's and was going around the tables asking if anyone knew him.
He also asked my father's friend but he told him he didn't know him. My dad didn't find out about this until days later.

I eventually managed to track down this man and asked him why he didn't guide my brother to my father and he just said that your dad had a family and that he didn't want to cause him any trouble...

Historyfan, the only thing my dad knew about Columbia was her first name.
I actually did come in contact with a member of the Greek Orthodox Church years back. This person tried to help me but nothing did come up except for one Columbia he found but didn't end up being her.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:25 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,273,796 times
Quote:
Please help me find my brother
Hello i am from Corfu Greece and i found out from my father Dimitrios (James) Spinoulas that i have a brother that was born in 1966. He would be now 42 years old.
My father was a greek saylor and went to Maryland Baltimore in 1965. There at the harbor he met 16 year old Columbia (first name) they went out a few times and then he left Baltimore with the greek military ship named (Contessa) and sayled back to Greece. He reseaved a letter from Columbia saing she was pregnant. My father didant contact her after that. In 1984 in Corfu my father was marride with my mother and had me and my sisters. Someone had come to tell him that an 18 year old boy was searching for him. My father never managed to see him. It was defenatly my brother. I dont know how else to look for him because i dont have his mothers surname.I do not know his name either. I have been searching for months. Please if there is any way you can help me i would be so grateful to you. Thank you. My email is carlaspin@yahoo.com
Generally speaking Greeks are natural born sailors so if nothing has panned out for you thus far perhaps you should pursue a path of the ship Contessa and the crew...if possible. It's a longshot to say the least but you have nowhere to go but up at this point. Best wishes, sincerely!

Contessa
Maritime Timetable Images - List of Ships
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search