Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,858 times

Advertisements

I am searching for information on Otto Leander Brown, who died in Monmouth, Iowa in the early 1940's. Exact death date is unknown, as is birthdate, but it is believed he was born in the 1870's. any information anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. We would like to put a gravestone up on his grave, but need information to be able to complete the memorial. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 06:04 PM

652 posts, read 1,785,738 times
Look here; ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com I didn't get anything but if you have his social security number you'd probably have success with his DOD. I think you can contact SS and get information as well.

Also try; publicrecords.online.com

Old 05-01-2009, 08:11 PM

838 posts, read 2,241,960 times
You say you want to put up a stone on his grave. Is it a public or church cemetery? They keep records of who is in the graveyard and when they were buried. Since he died in the 1940's, over 50 years ago, most states allow you to get the death certificates for genealogy reasons. I'm assuming he is a relative if you want to put a stone up for him. If he owned property, will or not, there should be probate records at the courthouse that will tell when he died. They will also most likely tell when he was born, as would the death certificate.
The Social Security Death Index will most likely not have it. There are a lot missing prior to 1970's.
An interesting question on Social Security numbers, though. They started to be handed out in 11/1936 according to Wikipedia.
Social Security number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If that is true, how come there are people who died in as early as 1900 who have SS#'s???
If you go to rootsweb and put in just the death year of 1900 with no names, you come up with 88 people who have SS#s. How can that be? Are they just errors where Social Security put in the wrong date or is there another explanation of how someone can have a SS# who died 36 years before they were issued? Sorry to diverge, but Nutley's post got me thinking.
If you have the SS# for this person and he is not on the SSDI, you can always contact Social Security, pay the $27 or so, and get a copy of the application he filled out and ask for his date of death.
Anyways, those are some ideas of how to get your information.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:27 AM

838 posts, read 2,241,960 times
Jackson County Queries (http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~iajackso/Queries.html - broken link)
try going to the link above. Monmouth is in Jackson County, Iowa. That site is a genealogy link to such things as obits.
If you don't live close enough to do the looking yourself, try here:
Jackson County, Iowa Lookups (http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~iajackso/Lookups.html - broken link)
for help with lookups.
Also, I just sent you a direct message with more info to check out. Let me know if that is the right guy or just another Otto L Brown.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:40 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,350,868 times
I'm sending you some info in direct message, too.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,858 times
Default Correction on Otto Leander Brown request.

I now find out there was an error in my post regarding Otto Leander Brown. He died in Clinton County, Iowa and was buried, according to what we were told, in Jackson County, Iowa. Can anyone help me with the Clinton County records?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search