Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 30,413 times

Advertisements

I am interested in information related to Godfrey Broken Rope. I am not sure at this time but I think he used to be a preacher man, and did some painting of pictures, (scenery, native american symbolisms, and maybe other works as well) on the side. I believe he did some painting in the Mitchell area around the Corn Palace. He may have been in the Black Hills and could possibly been in the Montana in the 1980's. Once I heard that the has painted some murals in North Dakota... Bonanzaville??? but I don't know for sure???

Does anyone know of any art work that he may have painted many years ago?

I would like some history on himself and any family member related to him.

Thanks for your help!
Sturdy1

Old 07-19-2006, 11:28 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Joseph F. Broken Rope Sr.

Joseph Fredel Broken Rope Sr., 61, an artist and welder, died March 9, 2005, at his home in Billings.

He was born Jan. 30, 1944, in Pine Ridge, S.D., the son of Godfrey and Lucy (Brown Thunder) Broken Rope. He received his GED and attended Eastern Montana College in Billings. Later he received a welding certificate and an art degree.

He had worked in landscaping, welding and in shipping and receiving. He had lived in Pine Ridge and Kyle, S.D., Phoenix, Ariz., and Crow Agency and Billings. Mr. Broken Rope painted traditional dancers in watercolor.

Survivors include children, Loretta Ennis, Rose Maria Ennis, Dorinda Broken Rope, Joe Broken Rope Jr., Roberta Broken Rope, Thomas Broken Rope, Lorraine Four Colors, Beverly Lone Elk and Thomas Fry; a sister, Mercy Makes Good; brothers, Alvin, Frank and Raymond Broken Rope; three grandchildren; and many great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren.

Visitation was on March 12 at Dahl Funeral Chapel. Wake was from 5 p.m. March 12 until 9 a.m. March 14 at Hope Center, 3212 First Ave. S. A prayer service was held March 13, and funeral services were on March 14, both at Hope Center. Burial was in Riverside Cemetery.

STURDY, I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS THE PERSON YOU MAY HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR OR NOT. IF THIS ISN'T THE PERSON, MAYBE I COULD ASK AROUND A BIT TO SEE IF ANYONE REMEMBERS HIM SINCE I LIVE IN MITCHELL.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want to help the Outpost?

Old 07-20-2006, 05:46 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
I just found the same news story as Jammie did. If you google his name there's quite a few references to a Native American artist by that name. Couldn't find anything under google images though.
I found info on the Niobrara County Carnegie Library (WY) website archives on him. You could call them and most libraries will be happy to look up info for you. Also call the above newspaper and ask.
If someone has an unusual name it is often not that difficult to find information online.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:12 AM
LKB

1 posts, read 6,661 times
You're correct that Godfrey Broken Rope was a preacher, as well as a painter. He used to paint primarily landscapes on some type of fiberboard as he gave his testimony, having been an alcoholic prior to his conversion experience. I have several of his paintings from when I attended revival meetings in Mission, SD. My understanding is that he passed away some years ago, but for more information you could contact the Christian Life Fellowship (P.O. Box 725, Mission SD 57555). That's the church that held those revivals back in the 1980s when I met Brother Broken Rope. Good luck with your search. I've looked for more info about his work myself from time to time on-line, but never found anything out.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 30,413 times
Default Late reply for Godfrey Broken Rope.

Jammie,

Thanks!! The obituary that you listed was the father of Godfrey. If you are from the Mitchell area, there could be some of his paintings floating around the area. I was told that he would be on the streets outside the Corn Palace and was a sidewalk artist.

On a recent trip through the country side, I was able to find one of Godfrey's paintings. It was in MN and I was truely surprised to come across it. I did buy it... I don't know, but sometimes when I find one thing that I like, I just continue to pursue those related items until I loose interest.

Thanks for your assistance,
Sturdy1

Old 09-04-2006, 09:39 PM

Hi Sturdy, I wondered how you were doing in your search. I'll write down his name and take it along to work tomorrow and see if anyone remembers him.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:18 PM

STurdy, I found a bit of info for you with a website to search and a couple of phone numbers. I'm sending you an email.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturdy1 View Post
I am interested in information related to Godfrey Broken Rope. I am not sure at this time but I think he used to be a preacher man, and did some painting of pictures, (scenery, native american symbolisms, and maybe other works as well) on the side. I believe he did some painting in the Mitchell area around the Corn Palace. He may have been in the Black Hills and could possibly been in the Montana in the 1980's. Once I heard that the has painted some murals in North Dakota... Bonanzaville??? but I don't know for sure???

Thanks for your help!
Sturdy1
MY NAME IS BIRDIE BROKEN ROPE AND IAM FROM SOUTH DAKOT AND YES GODFREY BROKEN ROPE IS MY GRANDPA AND I ALSO HAVE A OLDER BROTHER NAMED GODFREY. IF YOU NEED ANYMORE INFO JUST EMAIL ME AT
Moderator cut: look in user profile

Last edited by autumngal; 01-17-2008 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: removed email

Old 03-02-2007, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 6,646 times
Hi,

I am working on the ancestors of my granddaughter, Bridgette Gillespie,
and her natural father, Gregory Hoisington ( adopted last name) is the son
of Phyllis Irons and John Broken Rope who we have the parents as Godfrey and
Lucy Broken Rope.

If you could assist on this I would appreciate any information.

Ron

Old 01-17-2008, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 24,338 times
Default loking for family members

I'm the Granddaughter of Godfrey Broken Rope. my name is maxine Broken Rope. I don't know any of my broken Rope family. I'm the daughter of Thomas Broken Rope JR. If there's anybody out there that's a Broken Rope please write me at this page or [email] Moderator cut: use profile info I am interested in information related to Godfrey Broken Rope. I am not sure at this time but I think he used to be a preacher man, and did some painting of pictures, (scenery, native american symbolisms, and maybe other works as well) on the side. I believe he did some painting in the Mitchell area around the Corn Palace. He may have been in the Black Hills and could possibly been in the Montana in the 1980's. Once I heard that the has painted some murals in North Dakota... Bonanzaville??? but I don't know for sure???

Thanks for your help!
Sturdy1[/quote]

Last edited by autumngal; 01-17-2008 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: removed email
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search