Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:01 PM

6 posts, read 7,223 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Firstly, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Sebastiaan Vonk and I'm 17 years old. I'm living in a small town in the Netherlands and have been for many years interested in the Second World War. When I still was a little boy I liked to read novels about the Dutch resistance and ever since then my interest in the war has grown. Out of respect for the men and women who fought for our freedom, I have adopted the graves of three American WW2 soldiers and do research to these men.

I'd like to ask for your help in my quest to locate the family of these men: World War 2 soldier Richard A. Wertheim. This Second Lieutenant served during the war as a bombardier in the 401st Bomb Squadron, 91st Bomb Group. He died on the 6th of March 1944 after his Bomber had been hit by a German fighter. His bomber crashed near Magdeburg, Germany. He died at the age of 28. Before the war he lived together with his wife Florence L. Wertheim in Brooklyn, New York.

After the war he was buried in the American War Cemetery Ardennes in Belgium. In October 2007 I decided to adopt his grave in honor of what he had done to make sure that the people in Europe could live in freedom. I visit his grave a few times a year to bring him some flowers. I'd like to share a photo of me together with his grave:

Since the day that I adopted his grave I've been trying to locate any living relatives of Richard A. Wertheim. I'd like to tell them that I take care for their relative's grave and send them some photos of his grave. Unfortunately, after 2,5 years I've still not been able to locate any relatives. I have very little information on his family, which I will share with you:

Parents:
Arthur and Anna Wertheim

Sisters:
Ruth and Viola Wertheim

Married to:
Florence Louise Wertheim

I have some information on his sister Ruth Wertheim:
Ruth E Stewart
Born: 1 April 1912
Died: 9 March 1993 in Collins, Erie county NY
Last known address: 196-08 Dunton Ave, Hollis, NY

His wife remarried after the war with Frank Braxl, obviously her name became then Florence L. Braxl.

As said I've been trying for a while now to locate any living relatives, but haven't had any success so far. I hope someone on this forum has more information on him or his relatives or could/would help me in finding them. All help would be much appreciated. I'd like to thank you in advance.

If you're interested to learn more about Richard A. Wertheim, please visit my website. I put the most information I have about him on it:
http://www.sebastiaancollectie.nl/en...awertheim.html

Last year I visited the United States. During this special trip I was honored by the US Army and the State of Kentucky for taking care of these three graves. Both the American and the Dutch press have done reports on me because of this. If you'd like to see/read something back, please take a look here: http://www.sebastiaancollectie.nl/en...inthenews.html

Again I hope someone is able/is willing to help me in finding relatives of this man who died far too early because of a terrible war. Again thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:23 PM

38 posts, read 57,920 times
First of all, I'd like to say... I am so incredibly impressed by you and your kindness to care for the graves and lives of people that you have never met or have any relation to. I for one would like to thank you for taking such an honorable role in caring for our fallen soldiers. Now in regards to any history on the family, well.... unfortunately I cannot find anything on any of Richard A. Wertheim's family, it appears as though they have all passed and are no longer active in the databases. Which would be the link to any generations born beyond them. Now, even though this person is a bit removed from the immediate family I believe I have possibly found Frank Braxl, husband of Widow Florence Louise. I suppose he might possibly know something of her past relation to the Wertheim Family. Children born to Richards Sisters (that is if Florence kept in touch) anyhow this may very well be a cold lead but here you go... and God Bless You!

Frank J Braxl
Age 92
Phone 904-788-6809
Address
52 Ridgewood St
Valley Stream, NY 11580

Relatives linked to his profile are...

Edythe Marie Braxl
Age 99
Phone 386-788-6809
Address
133 Harpers Ferry Dr
Daytona Beach, FL 32119

Edie Braxl
Age unknown
Phone 904-788-6809
Address
44 Woodville
Daytona Beach, FL 32119

Good Luck to you!

Last edited by antkeddie; 07-08-2010 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-08-2010, 03:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,331,192 times
Unfortunately,
Frank Braxl passed away in 1995.
Edythe passed away in 2009
Edie is Edythe's nickname and that Woodville address/phone was listed to her.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 PM

6 posts, read 7,223 times
Both antkeddie and hcgCali thank you very much for your efforts and information in trying to locate any people related to Richard A. Wertheim. It's quite tough to find someone related to him. I know that his sister Ruth has passed away as well. I have no information on his other sister Viola, besides that she probably lived in Florida, but I do not have more information on her. Thanks for the help so far! It's much appreciated.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 PM

You're welcome, Sebastian. We appreciate your efforts in tending the graves of the war dead. I've searched the genealogical records on this family several times throughout the years you've posted about him in several threads, and I've never found any evidence of living ancestors. He has no one but you to keep his memory alive, and we thank you for that.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:10 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,475,548 times
Could this be the Viola your looking for? VIOLA WERTHEIM BERNARD Born in 1907?

Viola W. Bernard Foundation - providing seed money and grants for mental health programs serving children and families

Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM

Great research, Bill, but the 1930 census shows Richard's sister Viola was born abt 1913. Another Viola born in 1907 is listed with a different family. In any event, Viola Bernard's obit says she left no immediate family. *sigh*

Old 07-09-2010, 07:45 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,475,548 times
Thanks hcgCali. I need to get Ancestry.com someday.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:00 PM

As long as we all share our info, it works out.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:02 AM

23,787 posts, read 33,229,160 times
I also would like to say thank you.

Since you have the web page made, you should add all the information you have. If you know how to META tag - add these names on the meta tags as well. Someone may end up doing a google search & hit upon your site.

You may never find out what happened to the family. I'm finding there seem to be a lot of secrets with people this age due to the times. I know a few people that were raised by their natural father but with a step mother that they did not know was a step mother. From what I also know, the mother walked away to a new life. I'd asked in another post how one researches marriage licenses.

I wasn't familiar with your old posts - found one here

I also see there is a message board on your site - want to transfer some info if you don't mind - it may help..

Hi researcher!
I am already busy with my study of Richard A. Wertheim. I've been including census and now trying to find his family. In my view, the two deceased sisters. I've searched through Rootsweb.com and there is a good chance that one of his sisters is:
RUTH WERTHEIM RUTH Wertheim
Born: 06 Sep 1913 Born: September 6, 1913
Died: Sep 1978 Died: September 1978
Residence: 11691 (Far Rockaway, Queens, NY) Residence: 11 691 (Far Rockaway, Queens, NY)
SSN: 087-03-1836 New York SSN: 087-03-1836 New York
Now the question is: how do I know of her other relatives. I know one option is to her obituary to ask, but I was wondering if you might know another way to get more information about her.
I hope to hear from you and thank you!

Answer to your question Ruth Wertheim:
You know that Richard A. Wertheim was married?
I think you have the wrong address Ruth.
Arthur and Anna were married in Manhattan NY Wertheim on 8 September 1907.
Anna's maiden Stoeppel.
According to military records from father Arthur (16 Febr.1883) lived the father with his daughter. The daughter is called now Ruth E Stewart. . This Ruth was born on 1 April 1912 and died on March 9, 1993 in Collins, Erie county NY. When father still lived with the daughter was their address: 196-08 Dunton Ave, Hollis, NY.This is also more consistent with 1930 census because it gives 18 years to Ruth and the census was made on 9 April 1930 so just after her birthday. Do not go to the other sister Viola looked for with Ruth, you can now proceed. I suspect that in Florida So now make contact with Collins in Erie County and NY obit request.

National Archives - Wertheim # RICHARD # A - File Unit: Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)
in the Series: World War II Army Enlistment Records, created 6/1/2002 - 9/30/2002, documenting the period ca. 1938 - 1946. - Record Group 64 (info) in the Series: World War II Army Enlistment Records, created 6/1/2002 to 9/30/2002, Menting documentary about the period 1938 to 1946. - Record Group 64

2 LT Richard A. Wertheim

Today I have received within IDPF. What a book!

It's mostly about his indentification. According to the IDPF, the plane had exploded in the air. A few hundred yards away, the bodies of the soldiers found and buried in a German cemetery nearby. After the war he was using his clothing, a dog tag and also through his teeth schedule identified. Also on indentification of the other crew members have enough information to find.

In the IDPF also find other names, those of his sisters and his wife, and all married. His wife is remarried. Only his sister Ruth has a different name. Here we go:

Ruth F. Rosenwald
Batch 1870 Elder Street
Brooklyn, New York

Viola Phillips

Florence Braxl Louise (?)
52 Ridgewood Street Valley Stream
Long Island, New York

something new on the website of the 91st Bomb Group. The crash on March 6, 1944 was not his first crash. Previously he had already survived one. During his first mission as bomber hit his damaged by Flak that they have made an emergency landing on the North Sea. They are then picked up by a ship.

The story, described by the pilot: Our First Mission Written by James W. Brady Brady - Pilot Lt. Bob Tibbetts - Skoal

I wonder if a NY paper would pick your story up like Kid Solves Mystery World War II hero Lawrence Shea

Another thought - how about a facebook group page on him?

Adoptiegraven.nl (http://adoptiegraven.nl/english/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search