Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 PM

73 posts, read 333,407 times

Advertisements

Please help settle this debate with a friend who was an Econ major in college but has me confused on this logic. He argues that hypothetically if your raise matched inflation every year your real spending power would actually increase slightly every year.

This doesn't make sense to me, there are obvious exceptions such as paying off a mortgage at a fixed payment and technoligical advances will increase the standard of living for everyone. However, I say you will have the same salary every year in terms of "real" spending power.

He argues that inflation only effects us if we buy the same exact good over and over. He says that as consumers we can make decisions by choosing subsititutes for lower prices that allow us to "beat" inflation on a lot of purchases. I argued this is true but doesn't have anything to do with inflation.

This was brought up discussing government jobs that once you reach the highest pay grade, your income is only increased to adjust for inflation. So the question is, if you salary raises match inflation every year, are you effectively making the same when comparing year 1 to year 10?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 02:01 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,251,187 times
I believe your friend could very well be right. If inflation is 2% a year, a 24k income would be 29k in a decade if raises match inflation. If you live the same way, buying the same things, and your rent, gas, everything rises with inflation, you're no better off (or worse). If you have a mortgage, it stays the same though.

But in reality, look at how TV prices are tanking Flat-screen prices to tumble ahead of holiday season - Sep. 23, 2010 or the fact that we have Hulu, or Facebook, or the fact that cars today look and run better than ones ten years ago.

Where exactly are you disagreeing with him... There is the possibility that inflation outpaces the standard of living like the 70s, but it's rare.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:11 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,411,876 times
hey chicubs, i'll have to talk to some of my buddies about this one, but i was a business major and so were most of my friends and i think his premise is flawed. definitely not an econ expert though.

inflation and are ability to buy goods is based on a standard basket of goods. so if salary rises with inflation, we're never better off or worse off against the standard basket. beyond that standard basket, other goods' prices are not in a vacuum. i'd be willing to bet that the value of your home appreciating or depreciating has some sort of correlation to what's happening with people's salaries, but maybe not exactly. so this is where i think he could be right. but there's few "goods" that we buy in this manner, so what goods is he saying we can get substitutes?

Old 10-08-2010, 02:39 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,251,187 times
I already mentioned a few already. You don't even need to drop to lower price brackets, most things get better over time.

Internet is instant now. You can download songs in a few seconds when it used to take 15 minutes. And that is basic DSL compared to $20 AOL.

Or look at TV and how people dressed in Seinfield, can you believe how ugly they were? Clothes these days, even at Ross/Kohl's is decent and affordable.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:51 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs View Post
Please help settle this debate with a friend who was an Econ major in college but has me confused on this logic. He argues that hypothetically if your raise matched inflation every year your real spending power would actually increase slightly every year.

This doesn't make sense to me, there are obvious exceptions such as paying off a mortgage at a fixed payment and technoligical advances will increase the standard of living for everyone. However, I say you will have the same salary every year in terms of "real" spending power.

He argues that inflation only effects us if we buy the same exact good over and over. He says that as consumers we can make decisions by choosing subsititutes for lower prices that allow us to "beat" inflation on a lot of purchases. I argued this is true but doesn't have anything to do with inflation.

This was brought up discussing government jobs that once you reach the highest pay grade, your income is only increased to adjust for inflation. So the question is, if you salary raises match inflation every year, are you effectively making the same when comparing year 1 to year 10?
The CPI is not a perfect measure of inflation. They try to adjust for quality improvements, but in actuality, that's very tough to do. How do you adjust for safety improvements in cars? For less air pollution because of cleaner burning cars/factories?

Also, the CPI takes into account the substitution effect, but once again, how well it does this is an open question.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:48 AM

106,746 posts, read 108,937,910 times
correct mystical,,, we discussed this many many times here. the cpi isnt a measure of your cost of living. its only a measure of price changes on goods and services that may or may not apply to you.

cost of living is much more complex.. it incorporates price chages x how many times you buy that item x a factor that is about the quality and status of the products you buy. higher end products usually carry more in price increases then the lower end of product lines.

each of our cost of living is unique to only us.. perfect example was our neighbor in nyc. my neighbor who lives in the apartment next door was almost un-scathed when oil broke 100 a barrell.

they were locked in with a lease,didnt pay for heat and didnt own a car... i on the other hand had to feed a car and heat our 2nd home so i was greatly effected by it.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:44 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,262,373 times
If you really want an education, go to the BLS site and look at the composition of the basket of goods and services that go into the CPI. Then think bout how often you purchase each item. That will give you a better view on price change's impact on your real economic situation.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:53 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
I see it differently... suppose your income went up at the rate of inflation which is only an average of things and it doesn't include many other things that you will use and are likely to increase at a greater rate than inflation... if the average lows in the inflation rate were stuff you didn't use/buy as often and the average highs were stuff you did use/buy pretty often, you would be on the losing side of inflation... You could try to cheat it by buying cheaper stuff but what are you getting? Cheaper stuff than last year and that's supposedly better? Just because you are cutting back doesn't mean you are doing better... besides that what about big size purchases like cars and houses... if they went up 3% and your salary went up 3%, you would be in a terrible position, all your raise went to pay for the house and nothing leftover to pay for the increased costs of other goods/services... I suppose you could buy cheaper but the end result is still the same, your buying power is substantially lower and that's not a good thing...

Old 10-10-2010, 03:28 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,675,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs View Post

Your friend is correct. However there is a caveaut in that it depends on the person's ability to "avoid" inflation. If the prices of food are inflating for instance that is not something you can avoid etc.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:32 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,675,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I see it differently... suppose your income went up at the rate of inflation which is only an average of things and it doesn't include many other things that you will use and are likely to increase at a greater rate than inflation... if the average lows in the inflation rate were stuff you didn't use/buy as often and the average highs were stuff you did use/buy pretty often, you would be on the losing side of inflation... You could try to cheat it by buying cheaper stuff but what are you getting? Cheaper stuff than last year and that's supposedly better? Just because you are cutting back doesn't mean you are doing better... besides that what about big size purchases like cars and houses... if they went up 3% and your salary went up 3%, you would be in a terrible position, all your raise went to pay for the house and nothing leftover to pay for the increased costs of other goods/services... I suppose you could buy cheaper but the end result is still the same, your buying power is substantially lower and that's not a good thing...
No I don't agree. The argument isn't to simply buy cheaper lower quality products. The argument is that you can shift your spending to things that are not inflating in price. Hypothetically switching from DSL to cable, buying one type of material of clothing versus another. Buying chicken instead of pork etc etc.

Also if your salary went of up 3% and your cost of livning went up 3% you would be in exactly the same position as before not worse off. All your raise will not go to pay for your house. Whatever percentage of your spending is house and car that is where your percentage of your pay raise will go. The rest will go to your other expenses....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance