Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:19 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times

Advertisements

Outside of am extreme emergency, I decided to only use my credit card for

Going on Dates
Trips
Going out to Dinner with Friends/Family

So basically I want the card to be for Entertainment purposes only. Good Idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 12:54 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,287,707 times
Only if you plan on paying the balance in full every month.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
Only if you plan on paying the balance in full every month.
Yes whatever outing I have and whatever the amount is I would pay off the amount in full. For example a first date would not be over $45.00 or a outing with the family wouldn't be more than $30 to $40.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:26 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
Does this card have points that can use towards other things? Or is it just a regular credit card?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Does this card have points that can use towards other things? Or is it just a regular credit card?
American Express Card but not the type with the points

Old 08-22-2010, 01:42 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
American Express Card but not the type with the points
Could you switch it to one where you get rewards? After all, you already pay an annual fee, you might as well get rewarded for it.

Membership Rewards Program | Credit Card Comparison

I think it is fine to use it for the purpose that you intend as long as you keep a budget in mind and pay it off each month. I actually know of people who pay the same amount each month regardless of if they charge just so they have a credit on their account. That way, if money was tight due to some unforeseen expense, they weren't having to carry over a balance.

I personally hated having American Express so I closed that card pretty fast. It isn't as widely accepted (due to their high merchant fees) so I opened a Chase Rewards Visa card instead and use that for all expenses.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Could you switch it to one where you get rewards? After all, you already pay an annual fee, you might as well get rewarded for it.

Membership Rewards Program | Credit Card Comparison

I think it is fine to use it for the purpose that you intend as long as you keep a budget in mind and pay it off each month. I actually know of people who pay the same amount each month regardless of if they charge just so they have a credit on their account. That way, if money was tight due to some unforeseen expense, they weren't having to carry over a balance.

I personally hated having American Express so I closed that card pretty fast. It isn't as widely accepted (due to their high merchant fees) so I opened a Chase Rewards Visa card instead and use that for all expenses.

american express is accepted eveywhere i look in philly.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:00 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
I used to have an Amex but I found just as many benefits with cards that offer no fee. Congrats on paying off your CCs. Now all you need to do is pay your balance in full each month and you'll realize how much you are saving by not paying interest.

Had a friend who said he wouldn't charge anything he couldn't pay off at the end of the month.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:00 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Bad idea.

Study after study shows people always spend more with a credit card than paying cash.

Keep one or two credit cards with high limits only for true emergencies.

Pay cash for everything else.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I used to have an Amex but I found just as many benefits with cards that offer no fee. Congrats on paying off your CCs. Now all you need to do is pay your balance in full each month and you'll realize how much you are saving by not paying interest.

Had a friend who said he wouldn't charge anything he couldn't pay off at the end of the month.
That's why I decided to make it a entertainment card only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance