Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 06:04 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,401,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Our premiums are $60/month for $160/day in coverage-which is average in our area. We have a lifetime benefit, meaning your coverage never stops. It has 100% in-home care (which is what we really want) and 100% nursing home care-the two most important features of the policy.
Actually that sounds great. I am hoping I can get something under $100 a month and I figure the earlier I apply the lower it will be. I also want it for the in-home care as I would not want to be shipped off somewhere if I can be at home and get better care without being financially ruined by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 04:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,425,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not true. A primary residence is not a countable asset.

Keeping House While In Medicaid Nursing Home | Under Medicaid and Keeping the House
When they sell the house the proceeds will go back to Medicaid. They can keep the house in the remote eventuality that the person may move back home but eventually the money will go to Medicaid.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:12 AM

11,179 posts, read 16,063,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Not true. A primary residence is not a countable asset.

Keeping House While In Medicaid Nursing Home | Under Medicaid and Keeping the House
You apparently didn't read the info contained in that link:

"Although Medicaid will not force her to sell the house, Medicaid does have a right to be reimbursed out of the value of the house when she dies, for the entire amount it winds up spending on her nursing home care. Medicaid accomplishes this by making a claim against her estate. To help ensure that Medicaid can collect this reimbursement, it may place a lien on the house while she's still alive. As long as she lives, however, Medicaid will not seek to enforce the lien."

Old 10-04-2010, 07:27 AM

11,179 posts, read 16,063,548 times
Quote:
Our premiums are $60/month for $160/day in coverage-which is average in our area. We have a lifetime benefit, meaning your coverage never stops. It has 100% in-home care (which is what we really want) and 100% nursing home care-the two most important features of the policy.

Wow, $160 is very cheap. When I purchased my LTC, I was living in Maryland where the average daily charge is $262. Here in Las Vegas it is $226/day. I hope that you don't move to a more expensive area of the country because $160 won't go far in many areas. Also, I hope that your benefit is indexed because even in your present area $160/day won't amount to much in 20 or 30 years when you may actually need it. (And hopefully you won't! )

For those who are interested, here is a map/chart that shows the average cost around the country. Just click on your state and city.

Costs of Care ? (http://www.longtermcare.gov/LTC/Main_Site/Paying_LTC/Costs_Of_Care/Costs_Of_Care.aspx - broken link)

Old 10-04-2010, 07:51 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,178,507 times
I'm 45 and in good health. I just got some quotes, so here's what I found. All are for $200 per day for 4 years of care and include riders for in-home care, 3% compound inflation coverage, and have a 90 day facility elimination period. Quotes are for annual premiums; monthly premiums will have a fee associated with them.

Policy 1: $1326
Policy 2: $1425
Policy 3: $1453
Policy 4: $1458

I also got the agent to give me the premiums for someone aged 55 and 65. I ran the numbers, with an assumption that I would use the care at age 75. The price differential was enough to make it worth buying NOW and paying much less for a longer period.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Wow, $160 is very cheap. When I purchased my LTC, I was living in Maryland where the average daily charge is $262. Here in Las Vegas it is $226/day. I hope that you don't move to a more expensive area of the country because $160 won't go far in many areas. Also, I hope that your benefit is indexed because even in your present area $160/day won't amount to much in 20 or 30 years when you may actually need it. (And hopefully you won't! )

For those who are interested, here is a map/chart that shows the average cost around the country. Just click on your state and city.

Costs of Care ? (http://www.longtermcare.gov/LTC/Main_Site/Paying_LTC/Costs_Of_Care/Costs_Of_Care.aspx - broken link)
Yes it is indexed. As costs have been going up the past 5 years or so we are planning on getting another $50/day added to our policies-just haven't yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I'm 45 and in good health. I just got some quotes, so here's what I found. All are for $200 per day for 4 years of care and include riders for in-home care, 3% compound inflation coverage, and have a 90 day facility elimination period. Quotes are for annual premiums; monthly premiums will have a fee associated with them.

Policy 1: $1326
Policy 2: $1425
Policy 3: $1453
Policy 4: $1458

I also got the agent to give me the premiums for someone aged 55 and 65. I ran the numbers, with an assumption that I would use the care at age 75. The price differential was enough to make it worth buying NOW and paying much less for a longer period.
DON'T shop on premium alone. Who are these policies with-THAT is much more important. 20 years ago there were 1500 companies in the LTC market, today there are 30 and only about 3 that have 90% of the market. You want to be with one of those three for sure.

Also, 4 years of care does you NO good, you want at least 5 because there is a 5 year lookback for Medicaid in most states, some are 7 and some are moving toward 10. Having more than 5 years allows you to take advantage of the look back period and distribute your assets accordingly--legally. The average time spent in a long term claim is over 10 years. Most people start in-home a few days/week, then every day, then maybe all day/overnight, then move into a nursing home. My mom would have been on claim for 20 years.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:34 AM

78,746 posts, read 60,939,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Charles wrote;

So, your answer is to be a WELFARE CHEAT? How original. IIRC the look-back period on a house is no different than for any other asset, and something my wife was just looking at lately mentioned a 5 year look back. Regardless, if her funds run out (about 3 +/- years at current rate) the wife and I will pay it as her siblings are unable financially to do so and we are.
Just had this conversation with my friend. My parents scrimped and saved and drove old cars etc. and have amassed a nice retirement amount. My uncle working the same type jobs lived a much nicer lifestyle and has very little in assets.

So, tell me why my parents should now pay full price for the same care as him because they went without and saved? Nope, they should also avoid the huge asset drain through LEGALLY allowed means.

Personally, if they are going to have these social programs operate like this it should be pre-funded so that people pay thier fair share up front.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:36 AM

78,746 posts, read 60,939,328 times
Quote:
Yes it is indexed. As costs have been going up the past 5 years or so we are planning on getting another $50/day added to our policies-just haven't yet.

DON'T shop on premium alone. Who are these policies with-THAT is much more important. 20 years ago there were 1500 companies in the LTC market, today there are 30 and only about 3 that have 90% of the market. You want to be with one of those three for sure.

Also, 4 years of care does you NO good, you want at least 5 because there is a 5 year lookback for Medicaid in most states, some are 7 and some are moving toward 10. Having more than 5 years allows you to take advantage of the look back period and distribute your assets accordingly--legally. The average time spent in a long term claim is over 10 years. Most people start in-home a few days/week, then every day, then maybe all day/overnight, then move into a nursing home. My mom would have been on claim for 20 years.
Excellent points, I hope people read this.

Definitely never buy anything remotely LONG TERM from a company that isn't established, reputable and financially well managed.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,178,507 times
Quote:
DON'T shop on premium alone. Who are these policies with-THAT is much more important.
With all due respect, duh. I did NOT shop on premium alone. I DID consider the company, their financial health & ratings, history of rate increases, etc. The OP asked for some info, so I gave him some info. No need to make assumptions about my competence at purchasing insurance.

Quote:
You do not know anything about my personal financial situation, nor my insurance needs. Four years is suitable for my needs.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
With all due respect, duh. I did NOT shop on premium alone. I DID consider the company, their financial health & ratings, history of rate increases, etc. The OP asked for some info, so I gave him some info. No need to make assumptions about my competence at purchasing insurance.

You do not know anything about my personal financial situation, nor my insurance needs. Four years is suitable for my needs.
No, I don't know anything about your personal financial situation but it isn't about that, it is about getting enough care. Again, 4 years doesn't take you through the look back period an if you are not in a partnership state, having this long term care plan is a waste of money. If you are in a partnership state, you will be able to protect some of your assets but you may still end up on Medicaid-which doesn't pay for inhome care and you will be forced into a nursing home unless you want to pay out of pocket for the rest of your care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance