Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 05:29 AM

842 posts, read 2,589,588 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an affordable software that can help me to organize my monthly bills and generate a print out whenever I need it. I would like something where I can manually add a new creditor if there is no pull-down menu of that creditor. I do not know if Quicken does all of that, but I do not have any loyalty to any one software over the other .. just whatever works.

So, is quicken the best software available for keeping tabs and recording my monthly bill payment or is there another that I should know about? Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 07:29 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,020,449 times
Quicken will do that, you can manualy enter any bank/creditor if you need to.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:21 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,961,186 times
I use Quicken for our personal stuff and it has some great tools beyond just reports you can print. I've used it for years so can't really compare it against any other though.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:35 AM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times
I have been a Quicken user since the days of DOS.... it can do what you mention.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,445,832 times
I use Quicken also.

As an free alternative - if you have a Google account - you could look at Google Documents. Click on Spreadsheets, then click on Personal Finance.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:34 AM

76 posts, read 169,307 times
I have been using GNUCash for the last 6 or 7 years and have been able to do what you were asking about in the original post.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
I used Quicken for several years, they changed the format of it and I didn't like it as much so I went to Microsoft Money-HATED that one. I stopped using either and did it the old fashioned way for a couple years (keeping receipts and adding them up at the end of the year). When I started my business I got Quickbooks for that so I now use that for my business stuff and personal. It sure as heck is a lot easier then adding all the receipts at the end of the year . I still prefer the older version of Quicken. I am getting a "free" copy for next year with Turbo Tax so I may go back to that next year.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,961,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I used Quicken for several years, they changed the format of it and I didn't like it as much so I went to Microsoft Money-HATED that one. I stopped using either and did it the old fashioned way for a couple years (keeping receipts and adding them up at the end of the year). When I started my business I got Quickbooks for that so I now use that for my business stuff and personal. It sure as heck is a lot easier then adding all the receipts at the end of the year . I still prefer the older version of Quicken. I am getting a "free" copy for next year with Turbo Tax so I may go back to that next year.
I actually use both Quicken and Quickbooks. I tried to use Quickbooks for personal, but it was such over kill and I had a lot of frustrations. I do bookkeeping and have several clients and love Quickbooks in that respect.

I always hate having to upgrade because of new stuff! But eventually get used to it and end up liking it.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:48 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,266,924 times
I use Microsoft Money and love it

Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I actually use both Quicken and Quickbooks. I tried to use Quickbooks for personal, but it was such over kill and I had a lot of frustrations. I do bookkeeping and have several clients and love Quickbooks in that respect.

I always hate having to upgrade because of new stuff! But eventually get used to it and end up liking it.
Yes, it is overkill for personal stuff but since I have it I just started a new "company" and really only use the checkbook feature-so I can get my end of year tax reports really. We also track our rental property information on a 3rd "company" there. I have a 4th "company" which is a sports booster club for which I am treasurer. It is nice just printing off the P/L sheet for the monthly meetings .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance