Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:31 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,443,662 times

Advertisements

I didn't do gross, but I just checked and I'm saving about 2/3's of my income each month? Granted I have dipped into my savings for my recent house expenses

Wow I'm saving that much...no wonder I never have any money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 01:08 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,129,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its funny how people vilify "processed foods." most of them have no clue what they are talking about. "processing" doesnt do anything to harm the healthiness of food.
Except of course that it usually does.....

Our digestive system didn't develop around processed foods as a result many of these foods have negative consequences...

Old 04-08-2011, 01:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,824,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Except of course that it usually does.....

Our digestive system didn't develop around processed foods as a result many of these foods have negative consequences...
except that is doesnt. processing is usually just changing the form of the food so they can make it into some final product. it has little to do with changing the nutritional composition of the foods.

"Foods that undergo slicing, dicing, cutting, chopping, cooking, mixing, grinding, smoking, drying, packaging, canning or other procedures that alter the food from its original state."

Old 04-08-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
except that is doesnt. processing is usually just changing the form of the food so they can make it into some final product. it has little to do with changing the nutritional composition of the foods.
When people talk about processed foods they aren't talking about a food that has been cut, sliced, etc, under that definition every food is processed the minute you bite it. Instead they are talking about foods that are transformed via some industrial process, for example talking raw sugar and creating refined sugar.

Processing foods often changes the way the foods are metabolized, this is not to mention that most processed foods are packaged with chemicals to increase their shelf-life.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
When people talk about processed foods they aren't talking about a food that has been cut, sliced, etc, under that definition every food is processed the minute you bite it. Instead they are talking about foods that are transformed via some industrial process, for example talking raw sugar and creating refined sugar.

Processing foods often changes the way the foods are metabolized, this is not to mention that most processed foods are packaged with chemicals to increase their shelf-life.
how are they transforming the foods? what chemicals are added?

Old 04-08-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
how are they transforming the foods? what chemicals are added?
Is this a serious question? I mean you really don't know about preservatives? I already mentioned a common food that is "transformed", that is refined sugar. The process used to create refined sugar is extensive and strips all the nutrition from the raw sugar to create a highly concentrated sucrose product. The end product is metabolized much different in the body than the original unprocessed ingredient.

Cane sugar mill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-08-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Is this a serious question? I mean you really don't know about preservatives? I already mentioned a common food that is "transformed", that is refined sugar. The process used to create refined sugar is extensive and strips all the nutrition from the raw sugar to create a highly concentrated sucrose product. The end product is metabolized much different in the body than the original unprocessed ingredient.

i know preservatives are used, i think people refer to them as "chemicals" to try to make them sound bad but utlimately the nutritional profile is not significantly changed by their addition. the same with refined sugar. its sugar when its natural, its sugar when its refined.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:26 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,537,721 times
Quote:

I think you are fighting a losing battle here.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,964,238 times
Quote:
its funny how people vilify "processed foods." most of them have no clue what they are talking about. "processing" doesn't do anything to harm the healthiness of food.
Well it depends on what your definition of processed is.

1. Anything which lots of weird unrecognizable ingredients isn't good for you
2. Canned or frozen food with lots of added sugar and salt isn't good either
3. Processing grains and removing all of the fiber isn't great either (rice, wheat, oats)
4. "Processing" but throwing in a bag and freezing or cooking and canning with few additives is a safe form of processing foods.

Unfortunately, #4 is the least common type of process food consumed.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
the same with refined sugar. its sugar when its natural, its sugar when its refined.
This is entirely vacuous, "sugar" is a general term. In the case of refined sugar the refinement process strips all the nutrition from the raw sugar cane, what you are left with is sucrose. Now, the sucrose in the raw sugar cane is no different than the sucrose in refined sugar, but that doesn't change the fact that you strip all the other nutrients away to derive a pure sucrose product. Furthermore as stated, the two aren't metabolized in the same way.

Anyhow, your claim couldn't be further from the truth. But you are free to believe and think whatever you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance