Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post

Why even say something like this?

You know exactly why we pay so much in income tax, most people earn their income through W2's not through an owned business.
I say it to explicitly point out the fact that people are positioning themselves in a manner that holds them back financially. I'm just opening up different perspectives to get people thinking. No harm done, right?

My philosophy is a lot of people paying little tax. Not a few people paying lots of tax. If everyone had more take-home, they'd be able to pay off their debts quicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 12:46 PM

940 posts, read 972,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I say it to explicitly point out the fact that people are positioning themselves in a manner that holds them back financially. I'm just opening up different perspectives to get people thinking. No harm done, right?

My philosophy is a lot of people paying little tax. Not a few people paying lots of tax. If everyone had more take-home, they'd be able to pay off their debts quicker.
Right but there are other ways of saying it. You come off like a complete pompous ass, like you are smarter than us. While that may be true, it might not be. And even if it were, it's not like you are smarter, you just chose a different route, by owning your own business.

I have owned businesses in the past. They didn't make a lot of $$ but they paid the rent. Lots of "business expenses" covered that were paid with pre-tax dollars. It was nice. It's not like you pay less in tax and get to keep the money, if you are paying less in taxes it's because you have expenses. Yeah, you technically can write off your business lunches, but you have to spend the money in order to do that.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:47 PM

377 posts, read 671,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Similarly, my decisions to start a family (and how many kids) would very much be based on how many I could afford to have. I would never have 3 kids on $50k.
Me neither...I said FAMILY of 3, not 3 kids... That would include myself.
And I was married with a great dual income...no one anticipates being made a single parent.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:37 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,518,412 times
Quote:
Definately. When you have entities, everything is tax deductable. And you actually end up spending more, create jobs, and hire people. You also open up the opportunity to residual income.

Also, if you're maxing out your 401k to $49k, you probably already have entities (businesses).... since it's unlikely that an employer would be that generous. If they are, then you are one lucky individual
I'm not employed, but we set up our retirement to match ourselves...in the end, it's all my money, but it's funneled back through the company in the form of a match.

Now what the heck is an entity? Can you be more descriptive?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,518,412 times
Quote:
I already did. Max out 401k to $49k, and funnel income through entities. I understand that some people make most of their income on W2, and don't have too many options. I guess that's a decision that they made.

35% tax rate... rough... I mean, that's fine if you make a really really high income... but seems a bit much if you're making less than $300k
It's a bit much regardless of your income.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's a bit much regardless of your income.
I agree.

Sorry, by entity, I mean anything with a tax ID different than your SS.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,095,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
For once I actually agree with you Alpha.......

My dad used to say, "A guy's actions influence his attitude every bit as much as his attitude influences his actions."

In other words, once a person sets a goal and begins working toward it, the more faith he has in his ability to make that goal a reality.
Your father is a very smart man. I'm sure he did well.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,382,408 times
To the OP: there's actually some truth to that statement. Education, hard work, and determination are what is key to landing a high paying job in today's technologically dependent society.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:24 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,095,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
To the OP: there's actually some truth to that statement. Education, hard work, and determination are what is key to landing a high paying job in today's technologically dependent society.
Networking yourself is what will get you a good job.

Oh...and those other things won't hurt.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:41 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,616,823 times
Quote:
I'm not sure... I can only figure out how to put $54k away per a year. $49k 401k limit and $5k IRA limit. Double that if you're married (which I'm not).... but that's still under $220k.
Well only $54k/yr into a tax shelter, but you can of course put as much away as you want into simple savings accounts right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance