Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 02:13 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,105,180 times

Advertisements

The most I can recall spending for a dinner for two was about $150 at Different Point of View in Phoenix. Took my (now) wife there shortly after we started dating for her birthday. Well worth it for the bonus points, and the dessert later on was nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 02:33 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,657,763 times
This was over a decade ago, but it was $550 for 3 at Charlie Trotter's. Great thing was that shortly before I'd done the "guest chef for a day" thing as a gift from a relative that they won at a charity auction (basically I stayed in the kitchen, did a few menial tasks, watched the chefs do their thing and then got the equivalent of a full meal and then some back there), so the staff treated us like royalty and gave us a full tour of the place afterwards, including the kitchen where some of the chefs gave us some extra items to take home. It was an experience.

That said, my wife was not a fan and complains about it to this day "we spent THAT much money on WHAT? These tiny little tastes of things! There was hardly any food!"

Old 03-18-2015, 02:43 PM

19,945 posts, read 9,504,933 times
$275.00 for a dinner for two (including tax, but not including tip), and it was not even that good! Just steaks, salad, one side, a bottle of wine, and no dessert. Everything was a la carte.

Usually, we spend about $100-$125 for that kind of meal.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:21 PM

579 posts, read 779,593 times
$300 pp, 41 Degrees in Barcelona.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:50 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,443,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
THEIR SLOGAN is "LET US WOK YOUR DOG "
Lol. I agree that Mr. Chow is a bit of a joke (to me at least).

1) You won't be handed a menu. Your waiter just brings out food for you and the table. If you insist, maybe you can get an actual menu and order but I've never done so.

2) Food will show up and you'll like it (unless you're like me and find the food low quality). If you're still hungry, the waiter will bring out more dishes.

3) You will be offered champagne or sparking wine and offered refills if it ever goes empty.

4) You will be offered wine, etc.

5) You will never be told the price. If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. If you insist, maybe they'll tell you how much things cost.

6) After your meal you'll get a bill. For us it was around $840 for 3 people. With tip, we left $1000.

It turned out that each flute of sparkling wine that they were walking around with was $35 per pour.

It turned out that the chicken skewer in peanut sauce (yes, the thai food appetizer) is around $10 per piece.

It turned out that most of the main dishes were around $100.

etc.

You will see celebrities though. Lebron James was sitting at the table next to us. We were in NYC.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:59 PM

649 posts, read 572,924 times
We're not big spenders, the most expensive meal I've ever had came to about $125 for two of us at The Melting Pot and this is without alcohol. We've gone three times in ten years just for a special treat.

We also had a $100 meal for two people at Ruth Chris but we had a $100 gift card. I would have been highly upset if I paid cash for the meal. For what we got I don't think the dinner was worth more than $30. I was highly disappointed with the food and service (and I have really low standards.)

Old 03-18-2015, 08:00 PM

18,503 posts, read 15,322,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
Lol. I agree that Mr. Chow is a bit of a joke (to me at least).

1) You won't be handed a menu. Your waiter just brings out food for you and the table. If you insist, maybe you can get an actual menu and order but I've never done so.

2) Food will show up and you'll like it (unless you're like me and find the food low quality). If you're still hungry, the waiter will bring out more dishes.

3) You will be offered champagne or sparking wine and offered refills if it ever goes empty.

4) You will be offered wine, etc.

5) You will never be told the price. If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. If you insist, maybe they'll tell you how much things cost.

6) After your meal you'll get a bill. For us it was around $840 for 3 people. With tip, we left $1000.

It turned out that each flute of sparkling wine that they were walking around with was $35 per pour.

It turned out that the chicken skewer in peanut sauce (yes, the thai food appetizer) is around $10 per piece.

It turned out that most of the main dishes were around $100.

etc.

You will see celebrities though. Lebron James was sitting at the table next to us. We were in NYC.
I don't know, I like Mr Chow. I don't know what you guys were ordering, but I don't remember ever spending more than $300 or $350 per couple there. It's been a long time since I have been there.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:55 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,702,932 times
Our largest bill came to $60 for 2 people, which to us is a lot as normal price is $10-20 eating out. We both got water, as always. Was a steakhouse, very good!

Old 03-23-2015, 07:45 PM

935 posts, read 3,456,816 times
$75/pp for a 3 course meal at a Bistro I used to work for.

I'm a mild foody--a bit of a novice, and I keep it in check. I found that its possible to locate up and coming chef's by looking at local food awards. You can get an excellent menu for a good value. My former boss has a great talent for marrying unique flavors and was building his restaurant from the ground up in an out of the way (off main street) location.

There is a place out in Geneva, IL, Bien Trucha, that has been getting some good press and the lines form 90 minutes before opening (no reservations). Some of my favorite eats have been like this.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:27 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,975,021 times
$560 for 4 at Mama's on Maui last year. Excellent!!'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance