Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 02:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,841,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
you couldn't spend that on a house unless you were making at least $700k captain. cmon...how do we NJ folks afford these things? of course, we're all making a cool million per year.
we are all mega billionaire in nj.

i triple couponed this morning at path mark. i got 2 squeezable grape jellies for 50 cents a piece! that 36 cents a pound!! next time though i will be better prepared and show up with dozens of coupons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,136,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
tell that to the lady i bought my house from. she sold it to me for about 90k less than she paid for it.
Oh yeah? What does a capital loss have to do with my comments about dividends? Confused again...I suppose.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:52 PM

929 posts, read 2,096,058 times
Default Not so.

Quote:
if i am purchasing a TV this evening that costs $500, and a merchant is willing to let me purchase that TV on credit for 0% for 12 months, i have no financially sensible reason to pass that up. maybe i'm too lazy to make the monthly payment, or fill out the paperwork to get the credit. but that doesn't make it financially more intelligent, just makes it lazy.
It does if something happens unexpectedly in your life that keeps you from making the payments. We never know what is down the road. We assume that everything will be fine and we will continue to make more money. It's not always the case.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:48 PM

They claim that they actually have the money, but are taking out loans to buy their candy bars because apparently taking out debt to buy candy bars benefits you financially so long as the interest rate is no more than 3~4%.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,841,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Oh yeah? What does a capital loss have to do with my comments about dividends? Confused again...I suppose.
yeah, im trying to figure out where you got this concept of guaranteed 3-4% dividend from owning a house without debt. care to help me out?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:51 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,455,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
It does if something happens unexpectedly in your life that keeps you from making the payments. We never know what is down the road. We assume that everything will be fine and we will continue to make more money. It's not always the case.
you're assuming i don't have the money to pay for the TV out of pocket, and that i'm hoping i will be able to make the payments. i have the money. if something happens, i'd pay off the debt first. the money is spent, it's not for me to use elsewhere. that's the whole point.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Actually you do have financially sensible reasons to pass it up, you just don't think they apply to you. But you are phrasing this oddly, taking out the loan takes extra effort not the other way around, so why would taking out the debt be the default position? It shouldn't... So the question is, as I've been asking, how does taking about debt to purchase a consumer good improve my financial picture?

Its funny that you guys keep talking about being too lazy, yes, one is lazy if they don't apply for every loan someone waves in their face.

A loan for a measly $500?

but you're ok with your credit card that you had to apply for. it's the same thing. a best buy credit card or your american express credit card. same thing. no different. you use your grace period, i use mine. the debt improves my financial picture because i hold onto cash to earn interest instead of parting with it. sure, it's only a small amount. to you, it's not worth it. i never said that not taking out the loan takes extra effort. i know applying for credit takes a few minutes. apparently, you read and write much slower than we do.

just bought furniture for my master bedroom 8 weeks ago. bought it from a place out of state that is delivering it free, and didn't pay sales tax because they are out of state. they had 6 months, 0%. didn't even know they did until we were about to pay him. took my wife less than 5 minutes to write her name, address, and SS#, plus household income. it's through wells fargo. standard agreement. 0% for 6 months, then goes to a ridiculous rate of 19.99%. no "accrued interest". i'll make the payments for 5 months, then in month 6, slap the total due onto it. done and done. money earns interest in the meantime.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
They claim that they actually have the money, but are taking out loans to buy their candy bars because apparently taking out debt to buy candy bars benefits you financially so long as the interest rate is no more than 3~4%.
you take debt to buy your candy bars too. you just follow a term of no longer than 30 days. don't try to pretend like you're not using debt too, just because your mental capacity can only handle 30 days of foresight at a time.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, im trying to figure out where you got this concept of guaranteed 3-4% dividend from owning a house without debt. care to help me out?
naturally, the house goes to the bank and picks up some money for you. then gives you your dividend. your house never did that for you? i thank my house all the time. but i don't like the bank he uses very much. the only give me small bills, in old iraqi currency.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
but you're ok with your credit card that you had to apply for. it's the same thing. a best buy credit card or your american express credit card. same thing. no different.
Yes, I'm okay with the credit card, primarily because I like the benefits that a credit card provides. But in terms of time spent, I only need to apply once and can keep the card for many years and never have to apply again.

Quote:
they had 6 months, 0%. didn't even know they did until we were about to pay him. took my wife less than 5 minutes to write her name, address, and SS#, plus household income. it's through wells fargo.
Pay who? The deliver guy? Since when would you pay the delivery guy?

Its funny the way you guys think about risk/reward, you are doing things that have huge potential downsides (the prole taking your application does something bad with the information) to make very small gains. It really doesn't make much sense and its difficult to see how someone with money would do this sort of thing.

Also, I should remind that you claimed just a bit ago that you have no debt for your candy bars, yet now you have a loan for a big fat chocolate bar.

Quote:
you take debt to buy your candy bars too. you just follow a term of no longer than 30 days. don't try to pretend like you're not using debt too, just because your mental capacity can only handle 30 days of foresight at a time.
I handle everything on a net-30 basis, I find it easier to deal with everything on a monthly basis rather than pay here and there throughout the month for things like groceries. Technically this is debt, but it operates just like cash. A 6-month, 12-month, etc loan would not, it would distort your cash-flow.

And yes, my mental capacity is very limited, I'm not a super-human like yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance