Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:55 AM

5 posts, read 6,601 times

Advertisements

hey. i loaned money for someone (everything is notarized). he is not paing me back. what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 07:01 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,566,346 times
First. What have you learned from this?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:16 AM

yes, i never loan anyone anymore. i wish it wasnt so big of money. i know this guy is totally able to pay. good the papers are legal and notarized. but what to do now? lawer is too expensive.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:31 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,412,754 times
Small claims court?
You probably have to start with a letter, demanding payment. Go over to legal zoom dot com and type "small claims" into the search bar. That should give you somewhere to start.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 AM

its not small claim cos its bigger amount.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 AM

actually i m from Europe and i live in Europe. do you know if there is any company who buys that type of contracts and start dealing with it themselves? Its totally possibule to get the money from him. he owns good business and he is active in several other companies. ofcause planes fly every day and i could come to USA but i really dont want to spend any more my time and money for that matter.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,412,754 times
So you are in Europe and this person is in USA?
It's time to hire a lawyer. They may be able to get you compensation for expenses.

I'm curious. Do you know this person? Or is it some sort of scam you got caught up in?

Old 04-28-2011, 09:31 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,566,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hells gate porter View Post
yes, i never loan anyone anymore. i wish it wasnt so big of money. i know this guy is totally able to pay. good the papers are legal and notarized. but what to do now? lawer is too expensive.
Ok, I agree -- lawyer's tend to be expensive. Fortunately for you, that cuts both ways. We will get to why that is good for you a little bit below. btw, upfront -- I am NOT a lawyer, am just a guy on the internet, not qualified to give advice . . . yadda, yadda, on and on.

BUT I can tell you how I do my collections.

First, I guess you have asked him to pay, and let him know that you are placing him into collections?

Next, is there anything securing the loan (car, titled property, paper instruments, etc.)? We will want to set those claims and perfect any liens you may have in advance. There are some steps involved and often when folks see those start they will pay the bill.

Next comes a little more legal. I usually prepare an Original Petition -- the first papers you file with a court -- and send them a copy -- before I file the suit. When folks see they are really going to be sued, now most of the rest pay quickly. If not, then you file the suit -- in the highest applicable court available.

When I am doing this, it is usually all Pro Se (without an attorney). By the time folks figure out their own attorney will cost them tens-of-thousands -- because we are starting at a high level court -- and it is costing me nearly nothing -- they figure it is better and cheaper to pay me, and do so.

We can go in the further steps, but those listed above have some specific details to them. But to get more detailed, you will have to provide some detailed information -- to start with -- State you are in, amount of the debt, and related dates.

hmmm, wait a minute. I see some more detail added on the posts -- Europe v. whoever in a US court system. Not so good. How much are we really talking about -- in US Dollars?

Old 04-28-2011, 10:23 AM

Thank you for your answers. Its not a scam, i used to live with this man and i know him very well... too well... i loaned for his company,and i made an excellent deal with very big interests. in promissory note is also written that if anything happens to the company, this man is personally responsible to pay me the principal plus interests each month for 5 years. The principal had to be paid off last year, he didnt.
The amount i m talking about is little over 200 000 USD, i asked him only 70 000. Attorney in Honolulu asked $35 000. i m not going to pay that. and unfortunally there is nothing to secure the money, no car, no house. he has car and house and stuff but i cant just go and take it. He lives in Napa CA.

I need A-Team BA would show up to his house, he would pay:d

Old 05-06-2011, 09:22 AM

14,571 posts, read 23,113,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
So you are in Europe and this person is in USA?
It's time to hire a lawyer. They may be able to get you compensation for expenses.
Shouldn't even waste him time. Trying to collect debts across borders is generally an exercise in futility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance