Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 05:14 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,851,277 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 years old, 2 years and a few months out of school with a mountain of student debt (most is not in my name, but it's there and needs to be paid), ok salary at a good job. Thanks to my student loan payments I break about even on a monthly basis. Recently I lost my whole emergency fund and I feel like I'm treading water right now. I have very little in the bank, so I'm basically starting from scratch. I have a fairly good credit score and pay all my bills/CCs on time in full.

Because of this recent financial disaster I had to endure, I'm starting to take a greater interest in micromanaging my personal finances. I've set up my profile and budgeting on mint.com and I'm excited to start closely scrutinizing my spending habits.

What sort of books/advice/websites are out there for someone in my position? I want to learn how to sensibly and realistically be aggressive with paying off my car/student loans while starting to build my own finances. Now is the time that I want to start setting the framework that will let me be well off when I'm in my 40's (hopefully the student loans will be paid off by then!).

EDIT ADD: Notice I didn't post this in the Frugal Living forum. I'm certainly interested in living more frugally, but I don't want to hear 829304328543942340 people tell me I'm wasting money by not growing my own organic garden or that I should be living in an RV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 05:21 PM

917 posts, read 2,006,330 times
Check out suze orman's young fabulous and broke.

I say first focus on building up your emergency savings to at least 1000.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:46 PM

34,110 posts, read 83,064,731 times
Like most schools of management theory...
any of them is fine if (a big damned if!) they are actually followed through on.

The Orman book? sure why not.
The main thing you have going for you is the psychological change in you.
You *need* to make it work... so you will.

Stick with it!

Old 09-02-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
I say first focus on building up your emergency savings to at least 1000.
Thanks for the book suggestion! Thankfully I do have a little more than that in the bank, but not much more.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,446,885 times
"Debt-free Forever", by Gail Vaz-Oxlade (TV host of a few Canadian shows)

"Money isn’t rocket science—it’s discipline."

Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
Check out suze orman's young fabulous and broke.
I picked this book up last night. I haven't cracked it open yet but the blurb on the back makes it sound like it will contain some great advice.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:26 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,495,536 times
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

I don't really like his more advanced books on investing or personal finance but this book is pretty solid for building your mindset.

Also read some articles on www.wisebread.com

Old 09-06-2011, 10:17 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,283,209 times
Some good books I've read -- Jane Bryant Quinns Making the Most of Your Money. If you get hold of an older copy, the numbers are too small, but the advice is sound. Jane Bryant Quinn

The Wealthy Barber. Easy to read and understand -- really just a blueprint of what you need to do and set up.

And The Tightwad Gazette. Amy Dacyczyn does a lot of things that I wouldn't do (And a lot that I do) but she's creative as hell, and she has some really great mind set thinking in it. I'm rereading this now, and it's giving me the jumpstart to get back into some black belt frugality.

And when you want to get into the nuts and bolts of investing, Motley Fool and Morningstar are both good places to start to learn. And remember to take the quiz on how much risk you can handle in investing. I can't imagine as a young person you couldn't just jam everything into aggressive growth stocks, but if you can't sleep at night over that....it's not for you.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:00 AM

4,441 posts, read 8,141,278 times
I think this is a good start: Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan - daveramsey.com

1st step is to get your emergency fund fully funded again.

I'm 31 and have been living with this type of mindset since I started working. It's really paid off and I'm now on step 6. Step 5 I skipped over as I'm single without kids.

I didn't even know about that program when I started saving, but it's a good blue print. I haven't signed up for the program or paid any money into it, I just think it's a good game plan. Good luck to you!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I think this is a good start: Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan - daveramsey.com

1st step is to get your emergency fund fully funded again.
Dave Ramsey seems to have a good blueprint, but $1000 in emergency funds just seems way too little for me. I just got cleaned out to the tune of $5k thanks to this financial episode. My student loan debts are pretty large and will take many years to repay. I simply wouldn't be comfortable having only $1k in the bank for all those years . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance