Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:53 PM

12 posts, read 21,623 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I am a Management Consultant that is serving the financial industry, and am nearly 30.
My husband (just married) decided to buy me a nice watch (as my old Swatch is not fitting my wrist anymore and the strape cannot go any smaller) as a Christmas gift. I really LOVE the purple omega ladies watch, the one with the diamonds around the dial case. I had my eyes on it since it very firstly appeared on the adverts.
Now, I have tried the watch on and it is actually quite classic without looking too blinky (especially with leather strape and being dark purple) but I am kind of worried about how appropriate it is to wear it to work - my theory is that if I have a nice piece I really love, I wear everyday and after few years it is really worth every penny of it. So if I can't wear it everyday, I will rather buy one that I can wear daily.
The second option is to buy the same model but the lower end one, without diamonds on the dial case but all else are the same, it is still pretty but it is not what I have my heart for...
It is a bit of a silly question I know, but it bothers me and I want to collect some views from all of you working in the industry... Would you naturally feel that your colleague is showing off if they have an expensive daily watch? (I don't always wear branded stuff, I kind of mix-match of designers and high street brands for my daily look -e.g. my current watch is a Swatch)

Opinons are welcome...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 11:17 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Generally speaking, for both guys and gals, diamonds on the face / bezel of a watch are not high on the "office acceptance factor". Funny thing too is that some watches, with price tags in the $20,000+ price range, could easily have diamonds (or other precious gems), but instead they tend to throw-on the fancy movements and very costly cases instead.

I think it probably has more to do with 'cultural norms' -- so many people have engagement rings that are crusted with lower weight diamonds that it makes the diamond laden watches kind of "special night out" jewelery.

I suppose the other side to consider is that when you are consultant the norms of your business / practice area are driven so much by client perception -- if you spend most of your days around literally "stars of entertainment" they might be totally cool with a consultant having diamond jewelery on everyday, but in the more conservative "manufacturing industries" the assumption is that any consulttant with "rocks" is over charging....

Old 10-29-2011, 11:58 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
"I want to collect some views from all of you working in the industry..."

I don't, but I would question the competence of someone wearing a Barney bling watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloon321 View Post
Hey everyone,
I am a Management Consultant that is serving the financial industry, and am nearly 30.
My husband (just married) decided to buy me a nice watch (as my old Swatch is not fitting my wrist anymore and the strape cannot go any smaller) as a Christmas gift. I really LOVE the purple omega ladies watch, the one with the diamonds around the dial case. I had my eyes on it since it very firstly appeared on the adverts.
Now, I have tried the watch on and it is actually quite classic without looking too blinky (especially with leather strape and being dark purple) but I am kind of worried about how appropriate it is to wear it to work - my theory is that if I have a nice piece I really love, I wear everyday and after few years it is really worth every penny of it. So if I can't wear it everyday, I will rather buy one that I can wear daily.
The second option is to buy the same model but the lower end one, without diamonds on the dial case but all else are the same, it is still pretty but it is not what I have my heart for...
It is a bit of a silly question I know, but it bothers me and I want to collect some views from all of you working in the industry... Would you naturally feel that your colleague is showing off if they have an expensive daily watch? (I don't always wear branded stuff, I kind of mix-match of designers and high street brands for my daily look -e.g. my current watch is a Swatch)

Opinons are welcome...Thanks!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:03 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
Two points ......

One, what you are talking about buying is not a watch but a piece of jewelry.

Two, nobody in the 'industry' cares what watch you wear.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
watch? sure.
flashy shiny bauble? no

hth

Old 10-30-2011, 05:40 PM

12 posts, read 21,623 times
"Chet Everett" - thanks, raised a good point there about "hiding the diamonds", I would feel much more comfortable if they were swarovski crystal, that would give just the same look.
Thanks for the others' attempted witty comments, as a woman, for a watch I know they have always been reliable brand that is enough; for fashion, probably not worth the time here.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:46 PM

152 posts, read 497,981 times
People notice you far less than you think. Sure they form an initial impression in seconds, beyond that they notice very little.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:30 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Wear what you want and only a few (shallow) people will judge you by a single piece of jewelry... especially of you wear it regularly.

My spouse has a skin reaction to metals other than gold so I bought her an Omega with a leather strap. After over twenty years of regular use (with several straps, batteries, and cleanings) she still treasures it for regular use and never mentioned anything but positive comments.

Congrats on your new watch.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:29 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Diamonds = no go. Way to flashy, imo. Maybe if they're really subtle...

Old 10-31-2011, 02:40 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
Diamonds on a watch are more appropriate for a "night on the town" rather than everyday work-wear. I really like watches, I sort of collect them but I have less than a dozen because the ones I like are fairly pricey.

Appreciate the design of the watch and the details that make it stand out but don't buy one just for the name. My everyday watch is a Rolex Submariner that I've had for YEARS and I love it! I've ALWAYS wanted a Rolex and when I started making good money, I indulged and bought myself one. After all these years, I'm sure I've gotten my money out of it and still looks brand new (and has a great resale value- about what I paid for it).

Get something more subdued for work, don't get anything ostentatious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance