Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:44 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

How about THIS question:
Do you like to OWE -- or do you like getting a SMALL refund, or a BIG one? -- even though a big refund means you overpaid during the year.

Are you a bigger paycheck during the year kind of person? -- or do you use the tax refund as a savings option -- to get a big check in one lump sum?

I used to try to owe them a LITTLE BIT -- like less than 100.00. Then psychologically it started to bother me even to send them 50.00. The principle of it, that I was mailing in money when everyone else was getting thousands in refunds played with my mind I just didn't want to send in another red cent than they already got out of me

So for a few years now I've had it so I owe about 100.00 on one, and get about 1000.00 back on another. And that works for me.

It's enough so I feel like I'm getting a refund, but not so much that I feel like my paycheck is so much smaller than it should be, or that I'm just GIVING them money to waste during the year.

I must admit, I liked getting a BIG refund. I mean, with a refund of 3-4-thousand dollars -- I actually felt like I could do something with that as a lump sum....pay a bill off, pay for a trip, spend half AND save half. Versus 100.00 or less per pay check that seems to not be put to as good a use..it's more likely to just 'be spent'....although I do have dedicated savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 10:46 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
I like to keep as much of my money as I can during the course of the year, so I always wind up owing a couple/few hundred.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:52 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I used to do that, then it started to play with my mind? I know it shouldn't have. But seeing everyone else getting a refund when I was writing a check -- just BOTHERED ME!) And I know I had my money all year -- but THAT was gone -- and they were still going to get their's.

I'm still trying to think of a way to have the big refund and big pay check!
(My brother says do a small home-based biz on the side, for the write-offs.)

For right now, owing a little on one, and getting a bit on another, seems to give me the best of both worlds.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:06 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I used to do that, then it started to play with my mind? I know it shouldn't have. But seeing everyone else getting a refund when I was writing a check -- just BOTHERED ME!) And I know I had my money all year -- but THAT was gone -- and they were still going to get their's.

I'm still trying to think of a way to have the big refund and big pay check!
(My brother says do a small home-based biz on the side, for the write-offs.)

For right now, owing a little on one, and getting a bit on another, seems to give me the best of both worlds.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Owing as much as you can (without hitting the penalty limit), is the way to go, fiscally. "A tax delayed is tax not paid".
I can earn investment return on the money that otherwise would just be sitting in the IRS....
Do the math.

JMHO.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
I prefer getting a big check.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Owing as much as you can (without hitting the penalty limit), is the way to go, fiscally. "A tax delayed is tax not paid".
I can earn investment return on the money that otherwise would just be sitting in the IRS....
Do the math.

JMHO.
That is also MY opinion, and that of my husband.

Why let the government keep your money for a year when it can be put to use by YOU!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:17 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
I like to break even. We usually end up getting a refund from the feds only to send it to the state. I'm cool with that.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:21 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
For convenience, ideally they would owe me $2 or so. When I hear someone excited about a huge tax refund, I realize there is a part of the overall fiscal puzzle they simply are not understanding.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
I prefer to get a refund. Used to owe every year and hated to pay that. At today's savings interest rates I don't miss the earnings.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:30 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I prefer getting a big check.
I do to. Those checks are used to make an extra payment or two on the house or the car which saves me more money in the long run then I would have had if it's in an interest bearing account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance