Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:47 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times

Advertisements

I know a single parent who is in need of a car (quickly). The problem is that her credit isn't so hot, so the only options she has are car lots who want to offer her a loan at 28% interest. She got a credit union to offer her a $5,000 loan (at 21% APR), if she puts at least $2,000 down and the car has less than 89k miles. You guessed it. Not only are decent cars like that hard to find, but she doesn't have the $2k.

Does anyone have realistic alternatives? BTW, I am already very familiar with Dave Ramsey's suggestions for buying cars. I don't think it is a viable option here. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 06:11 PM

106 posts, read 363,830 times
Your friend doesnt even have $2,000 to buy a used car?
She will need to ride the bus for a few more months.
It would be CRAZY to get a loan at 28%, but then again, that's what people that don't pay their bills deserve to get in life.

In the near future, when your friend does accumulate the money, lets say $2,000, she should buy a car that costs less than $2,000, a toyota or honda, nothing fancy. Because, thats all she can afford.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump View Post
It would be CRAZY to get a loan at 28%, but then again, that's what people that don't pay their bills deserve to get in life.

In the near future, when your friend does accumulate the money, lets say $2,000, she should buy a car that costs less than $2,000, a toyota or honda, nothing fancy. Because, thats all she can afford.
This may come as somewhat of a surprise to you, but MANY single parents pretty much live from paycheck to paycheck. Its can be a very tough life. Has she made some bad choices? No doubt. But she is where she is. Needs a car in a town that is not public transportation friendly. A car is a necessity, and with a young child, dependable transportation is a must. I'm just looking for different options to help her. Thanks for your input though.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:59 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
How about your look for a really, really cheap car. Maybe post on facebook and ask all your FB friends if they know of a reliable used car.....

Old 02-04-2012, 07:24 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
look at saturns

Old 02-04-2012, 07:34 PM

441 posts, read 885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump View Post

There are more causes for poor credit than just "not paying her bills": what if she's a young or maybe even teenaged mom who's just starting out? What if she's just come off of the back of some medical emergency? Or was a victim of identity theft?

It's not possible to assume she is in this situation just because she hasn't paid her bills.

OP, I'd like to reiterate - has she checked the usuals - family / close friends who can loan her the money? Maybe a church has a benevolence fund she could request to use?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:38 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Well, op...if she's so upstanding, why not loan her the money yourself?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
Check churches, they usually have things with donating cars. Problem is I think that stuff usually goes to parishioners.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:18 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Does anyone have realistic alternatives? BTW, I am already very familiar with Dave Ramsey's suggestions for buying cars. I don't think it is a viable option here. Thx.
I used to listen to Dave Ramsey on a regular basis. His advice to people in her situation is usually to find somebody to give or loan her a car until she gets on her feet. When he lost everything he drove a ratty old borrowed Cadillac for awhile himself.

Finding a freebie car for someone who truly needs one isn't nearly as hard as it sounds. There are lots of people who keep an extra car around just as a spare because they don't see it as having any value to sell when they get a new one; many of these folks would probably be happy to cut the expense especially if it means helping somebody out.

Churches are a good place to start as some of them have ministries set up for that sort of thing, but intense networking is your best bet. She doesn't happen to be near southeast Iowa, does she?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, op...if she's so upstanding, why not loan her the money yourself?
I have actually considered that, but am interested in looking at all options. I don't believe that giving someone a car is always the best option. I'm mainly asking to see if others come up with an option I hadnt considered.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance