Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:30 PM

198 posts, read 484,508 times

Advertisements

In the past I've always paid additional money each month against my 30 year mortgage. However the ever growing budget deficit in the United States and Europe has caused the Central Banks to turn on the printing presses. Many economists and financial analysts I follow believe this is going to end badly in massive inflation and/or the collapse of the dollar. The odds of that 30 year mortgage being "inflated away" or wiped out by a dollar collapse sometime over the next 20 years is looking more and more likely.

Given that, I'm now wondering if throwing extra money at a 30 year mortgage is a bad idea. That same money can be used to by hard assets such as gold or commodities which are capable of keeping up with inflation.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else begun to question the wisdom of trying to payoff a low interest rate 30 year mortgage given the US and world debt situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 08:49 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBOSCH View Post
Many economists and financial analysts I follow believe this is going to end badly in massive inflation and/or the collapse of the dollar.
So, which whack-jobs on the internet and/or talk radio do you follow?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:50 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Which ones do you think are what-jobs? (Just curious)

Old 02-04-2012, 08:52 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
In the past I've always paid additional money each month against my 30 year mortgage. However the ever growing budget deficit in the United States and Europe has caused the Central Banks to turn on the printing presses. Many economists and financial analysts I follow believe this is going to end badly in massive inflation and/or the collapse of the dollar. The odds of that 30 year mortgage being "inflated away" or wiped out by a dollar collapse sometime over the next 20 years is looking more and more likely.

Given that, I'm now wondering if throwing extra money at a 30 year mortgage is a bad idea. That same money can be used to by hard assets such as gold or commodities which are capable of keeping up with inflation.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else begun to question the wisdom of trying to payoff a low interest rate 30 year mortgage given the US and world debt situation?

Suze Orman says not to buy gold (I caught her program a few days ago on television, I had insomnia).

Dave Ramsey says to pay off all debt including the mortgage, save, invest and have an emergency fund and a minimum 3 months expense saved as well.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:32 AM

198 posts, read 484,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I've actually heard this theory from quite a few investors and/or financial advisors. Among them:

Jim Rogers
Peter Schiff
Nouriel Roubini
Steve Cordasco
Marc Faber
Porter Stansberry
Jason Hartman

I too listen to Dave Ramsey but find his message a bit unsophisticated. Take a hard look at the US debt situation, it's too large to paid off by any other means than to inflate it away by printing dollars. For that reason I question if its still.a wise choice to use today's dollars to payoff low interest fixed rate debt.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:45 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Well the signs on the horizon right now show deflation more than inflation as a worry for at least the next 5-10 years .

With certain commodities sucking what little descretionary income out of our pockets we have ,anything we buy is at the expense of not buying something else .
There may have beeen massive amounts of money printed but its sitting in bank reserves and not in my hand ,your hand or anyone else i know.

We are all buying this instead of that and not this and that and thats deflationary.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:56 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,010 times
FOOD prices... it's like a steep roller coaster going uphill. Now add the severe droughts of TX, which will have a serious effect on beef prices. This winter Midwest farmer fields are lacking snowfall. That means they will start the spring planting season in a drought.

You want to beat inflation? STOCKPILE FOOD!

Old 02-05-2012, 06:30 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
all it means is we risk slowing down because with no raises and high unemployment we will all have less money to spread around for other stuff.

inflation is when we have more money to spend at the same time everything is going up so we buy this and that ,not like now where we buy this or that.

Europe will need lots of capital from their central banks and raising capital involves selling other stuff. selling is deflationary as well......

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-05-2012 at 06:54 AM..

Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 AM

890 posts, read 1,849,730 times
Quote:
I too listen to Dave Ramsey but find his message a bit unsophisticated. .
That's probably because the people who NEED his advice are as well....at least when it comes to managing their money.

Of course there are exceptions - some just have bad luck, especially in the housing market.

And it's not a knock on those who find/found themselves drowning in debt. I've paid my share of stupid tax.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:05 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
Quote:
I too listen to Dave Ramsey but find his message a bit unsophisticated.
Well, I have a finance degree and worked (briefly) in investment banking and I think personal finance for 99% of the country IS pretty unsophisticated and should be. Heck most multi-millionaires, my parents among them, should imo just have basic investments and no debt.

But back to your original question. We're working on paying off our mortgage. I figure I owe it, I want to get rid of it, I'm not going to play the what if game. I'm not emptying out my retirement funds to pay it off but I'm putting a lot extra on every month. But, I do believe that inflation is coming, I'm just not sure when and I'm not going to be burdened with a big mortgage waiting for it. Many of those same economists have been predicting inflation for 5-10yrs, that's a lot of interest paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance