Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 1,637 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I’ve been lurking on City Data for a long time. I’m not big on posting. But this has me freaked out enough to make an account. I’m hoping you can help! My debit card is locked in a safe in my room. I have never used it—EVER. Not even at an ATM. I keep it for emergencies. But the other day two fraudulent charges appeared on the card for over $100 each. My bank has closed the card.

My question is: How’d someone get my debit card info?

Literally nobody has access to the physical card. I live with my 80 year old grandmother. Hardly a candidate for theft. The key to the safe is on my person every time I leave the house. I had my information in a (supposedly) secure password app. Was that my downfall?

Thank you for any help you can give! 😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 06:12 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,705,241 times
Card data can be stolen from the issuers or some third parties that have the info.

Are you certain they were card transactions, and not simply bogus withdrawals from the account?

Old 05-17-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Card data can be stolen from the issuers or some third parties that have the info.

Are you certain they were card transactions, and not simply bogus withdrawals from the account?
Thank you! I appreciate your time and input. They were definitely transactions. Two charges at Walmart. If the card data was stolen from the issuer or a third party does that mean my particular bank is unsafe? Or is that pretty standard for banks these days?

Old 05-18-2019, 09:41 AM

456 posts, read 346,922 times
I also had a debit card compromised even though I had never used it. We suspect it was a transposition of numbers while entering a charge or just a random hit on the card information.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
I also had a debit card compromised even though I had never used it. We suspect it was a transposition of numbers while entering a charge or just a random hit on the card information.
I didn’t know random hits could happen. Thank you! I feel better knowing I’m not alone.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:12 AM

106,175 posts, read 108,140,134 times
it can be a random error .... we had a debit card charge against our account for a monthly amazon prime charge ...someone keyed in a wrong digit and it ended up being our account number ... it was quickly reversed when we reported it .

Old 05-20-2019, 03:44 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,007,608 times
I've had this happen - I assumed someone got lucky with entering random numbers....

Old 05-20-2019, 09:21 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,764,204 times
Check to see if granny has new shoes.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:42 AM

17,478 posts, read 15,059,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I've had this happen - I assumed someone got lucky with entering random numbers....

The numbers on cards follow a pattern.. I am not POSITIVE of the pattern, but I assume it's a checksum.. If you know the pattern and how to calculate the checksum, then you have half the data you need. The second half would be the expiration date, which.. That could be hit via trial and error.

Every time a Visa card I've had has been replaced and a new number issued, it's incremented by 8.

The card went from ending in 7080 to 7088 to 7096

No other digits changed. I presume, had I been issued another card before closing out that bank account, it would have been 7104

If you had the ability to submit cards, you could tell whether the card was active or not.. If you found it was active, then you know you just have to hit the right expiration.

so, it's POSSIBLE.. Not saying this is what happened, but possible that you had a previous card with the bank that the number was exploited.. They saw it was inactive, so tried the next number that would have been issued, saw it was active, and just finally got the right expiration on it.

Would make more sense than being totally random hit. But, that's not saying a random hit couldn't happen.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:26 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,932,322 times
Pretty common. Our bank (TD Bank) just stopped our debit card and issued a new one at the branch office on two occasions. On one occasion there were actual fraudulent charges that were refunded without a problem, on the second occasion I caught the fraudulent pending charges looking at my bank account online, and the card was stopped as soon as I called. Unlike another bank I dealt with prior (Chase, who told me to wait and they would investigate and eventually refund any fraudulent charges - right, while the thieves drained my account and all my checks bounced), it just took a call to 24 hr cust. service line and my word to stop the card, and a 15 minute visit to the branch office to get a new card. The person at the branch office said this was pretty common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance