Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 PM

133 posts, read 494,217 times

Advertisements

hello.

Due to a divorce and child support payments, I racked up about 17K worth of credit card debt. My plan is to borrow from my 401(k), and pay it back in five years. My understanding is that this won't trigger any penalty or taxes, provided that the entire balance is paid off in full. I can afford the monthly automatic reduction in my paycheck.

Is it possible to negotiate with my credit card holders to reduce the balance and: a) not have it considered a "charge off"; b) it not harm my credit any; c) the forgiven amount not be considered taxable income? All of my credit cards are current, and I am not behind in any of the payments.

Any help would be appreciated. If I have to pay off all the credit cards in full, I will, and I will make sure not to get into this position again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 10:11 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
a) It won't be considered a "charge off," but it will be noted on your report that it was a settlement.
b) It probably depends what your credit is like now. I settled a couple years ago and my credit rating has only gone up since then, but it was in the toilet before that. If your score is fairly high now you will probably get dinged short-term.
c) You'll receive a 1099 for the amount discharged. If you don't have the assets to pay the debt in full at the time you can file a form 982 to exclude the discharged debt from your income. They don't require any supporting documents so even if you do had the assets available you might be able to get out of paying taxes on it if you don't mind gambling on a possible audit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance