Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 02:00 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,785,776 times

Advertisements

I know there's a thread somewhere about this but it couldn't find it.

Is anyone familiar with the following companies and if so, your opinion?

Identity Theft LifeLock

Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 07:01 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
I have had limited experience with Pre-Paid legal. It is an expensive coverage for what you get unless you really need frequent legal advice/papers, say you are an owner of rental properties, etc. Most insurance companies offer some kind of identity theft coverage for a LOT less money. Check with your insurance provider first.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:35 PM

Thank you but which insurance? Home owners?

The other day I went to a meeting through my company and they were teaching us how to prevent identity theft and a rep. from Prepaid was there. She said it's $35 a month and you get business services, identity theft coverage, will created, living will, legal services if you're in an accident, legal document review and trial services if needed. I was considering doing it for one year and have my will and living will done and also use the business services. Hopefully I won't need the other stuff but for $420, I thought it might be worth it. I would just like to get a couple opinions first.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:24 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,153,674 times
I have been using lifelock for about 6 months. When I tried to open a bank account online it didn't let me. i guess it was the lifelock protection. I also don't receive anymore preapproved credit solicitations. They put a fraud alert with all 3 credit bureaus automatically every 6 months. So far I am happy with them.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:07 PM

Good to know, thanks.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:03 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Thank you but which insurance? Home owners?

The other day I went to a meeting through my company and they were teaching us how to prevent identity theft and a rep. from Prepaid was there. She said it's $35 a month and you get business services, identity theft coverage, will created, living will, legal services if you're in an accident, legal document review and trial services if needed. I was considering doing it for one year and have my will and living will done and also use the business services. Hopefully I won't need the other stuff but for $420, I thought it might be worth it. I would just like to get a couple opinions first.
We had our will, living wills and a trust set up for much less then $420. That is the catch they use to pull in people. It might be more expensive in your area to do a will but keep in mind, they farm those things out to lawyers from who knows where and the chances of you talking to the same lawyer that drew up your will is slim. It is kind of like a HMO for medical care, you go to a clinic but never see the same doctor twice.

As for checking into your insurance company, yes, it will most likely be on your homeowners insurance. Ours costs $25/year. We can't pay for a will or anything like that but it is good financial coverage if we have an identity theft issue.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:07 AM

Thank you so much. I had a feeling it was something like that but it did sound good, all in one pkg. I need some business legal advice, so I thought it would be worth it but maybe not.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:52 AM

786 posts, read 1,178,312 times
My insurance company just sent me a note asking me if I wanted to add identity theft coverage to my homeowner's policy for $25 per year.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:43 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,856,170 times
CTR36 wrote;
Quote:
I also don't receive anymore preapproved credit solicitations. They put a fraud alert with all 3 credit bureaus automatically every 6 months
Both of which are something you can DO YOURSELF, for FREE.

golfgod

Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,172,231 times
Angie's List just had an article about LifeLock a few months ago in its newsletter. In general, the tone of the article was unfavorable. People were paying big bucks for things you can mostly do yourself, and there were quite a few unahppy customers who felt like they got no or poor service when they DID have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance