Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 01:49 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post
I understand your point and agree.

However saving 150k a year please. If he was making that kind of money why is he surfing these fourms.

I smell bs on that one
Why would there be any link at all between what you like doing and your ability to save.?

we save a big amount but that has nothing to do with the fact i am a big contributor on the city data financial forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
like i said earlier ,you are only going to get those replying for the most part who are active savers and have the money to save.

it is like fidelity released a study the other day .

Feb 14 (Reuters) - U.S. workers who stayed put in the same company 401(k) plan for the past decade saw the size of their accounts quadruple to an average of nearly $200,000, despite major stock market turmoil, Fidelity Investments said on Thursday

that is a quite a different story then the 60k average retirement account you hear about,.

Retirement balances of 401(k) faithfuls quadrupled in past decade | Reuters
Agreed. Millions of people don't save anything or a very small amount. I can barely save $100 a month.

The people who see this thread and save are probably looking at their 401k's and trying to stretch every penny just to say "we save 3k a month". Were humans....exaggerating is quite normal especially when it comes to money.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:56 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
36 single
I have a good job where people think I probably earn $100,000/year, but in fact I only make half of that.
CA is expensive.

Save $5,000/YEAR for IRA
save $300/month for a new car
save $300/month for emergencies/vacations.

No loans/or any CC debt. Just mortgage.

Everybody male who saves more than $3,000/month - feel free to contact me

Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,681,949 times
Quote:

However saving 150k a year please. If he was making that kind of money why is he surfing these fourms.

I smell bs on that one
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Lol

Agreed. How much does this person make to save between 125-150k per year.

I don't know anyone who saves half of their salary...perhaps a third. So does the poster make 375k- 450k household income minimum. I also call BS.

Are you the CEO of a Fortune 500? If not BS.

Just did some calculations. Even at saving 125k a year for 35 years. He is 30 so let's say he retires at 65.

That is 4.3 million! Let alone the fact that your money is going to grow in a 401k! That is a low estimate too.

BS

I'll tell you this, I find myself blessed.... but I have a tough and stressful job.

ER physician and my wife is a pharmacist.

Combined we make approx $420/yr not counting 401K contribution from my company of approx $40K/yr. Had she been full time, we'd hit close to $480/yr.

At 420/yr, we probably net approx $22-24/mo. Our expenses including cars and student loans and insurance including life and disability and vacations and gifts and food are approx $9.5K (not including apt rent or upcoming mortgage).

So, add that up and you will see how I got my numbers, there is no overbloating with this one.

Like I said, I paid my dues, and I have a very stressful job.

Btw, we have a flaw... since we started late, we have really minimal assets. So maybe in 5 years, we'll be much better off... hopefully our lucky streak continues.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:03 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Yeah, there are a bunch of people on here who say they are saving more each month than my husband and I make, combined. We net about $4k/month. Of that, we save/invest around $1800-$1900 each month, on average.

$832 to fund 2 Roth IRAs each month (haven't upped it for 2013's increased limit yet, so will make a $500 extra investment in each account this year sometime, which is about what I"ll be getting back in taxes, so I'll be a net zero there).

Another $100 or so in hubby's 401k each month.

Hubby and I increase our bank savings by around $900/month as well

Old 02-15-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
I'll tell you this, I find myself blessed.... but I have a tough and stressful job.

ER physician and my wife is a pharmacist.

Combined we make approx $420/yr not counting 401K contribution from my company of approx $40K/yr. Had she been full time, we'd hit close to $480/yr.

At 420/yr, we probably net approx $22-24/mo. Our expenses including cars and student loans and insurance including life and disability and vacations and gifts and food are approx $9.5K (not including apt rent or upcoming mortgage).

So, add that up and you will see how I got my numbers, there is no overbloating with this one.

Like I said, I paid my dues, and I have a very stressful job.

Btw, we have a flaw... since we started late, we have really minimal assets. So maybe in 5 years, we'll be much better off... hopefully our lucky streak continues.
Assuming your not lying or anything....I stand corrected.

Can't blame us though. I don't know anyone who makes even 100k a year let alone over 400k?

So you make 22-24k a month! My GF doesn't make a whole lot more than that in a year.

Good for you though. You get what you make out of life.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:16 PM

758 posts, read 1,639,161 times
I'm almost 34 and married, but I'll just post what I save.

$220 403B
$150 other retirement
$250+ into savings

So I guess that is $620 per month. Wow. That seems like more than I thought. But the $220 is pre-tax.

I make just under 50K per year. I'm trying to bump up my savings amount, while paying down student loans faster. Usuallly ever couple of months I bump up my savings account by $5-10 per month. A lot of months, I also have 'extra' in my checking account, too..which could count as savings.

My hubby does similar on the retirement, but no standard savings.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I'm almost 34 and married, but I'll just post what I save.

$220 403B
$150 other retirement
$250+ into savings

So I guess that is $620 per month. Wow. That seems like more than I thought. But the $220 is pre-tax.

I make just under 50K per year. I'm trying to bump up my savings amount, while paying down student loans faster. Usuallly ever couple of months I bump up my savings account by $5-10 per month. A lot of months, I also have 'extra' in my checking account, too..which could count as savings.

My hubby does similar on the retirement, but no standard savings.
You don't save together?

I thought all married people did this.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:51 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Default My turn

The wife and I are 55. We save approximately 1.2k a month. That would also include a matching from both of our employers. We have 2 pensions not counting SSA to compliment that so our take home pay when retired will be more than we make now.

I am quite impressed with some of the figures people are tossing out there. I like the fact that people are thinking ahead and taking matters into hand. If you don't you could end up like my dad who lives on a minimal SSA. His wife adds about half his to the mix. I know they struggle mightily. I want to make sure I do not end up like that. I also hope that my daughter will not struggle either.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:

I smell bs on that one
what should he be doing? banging supermodels and driving around in his ferrari? people who make a lot of money also do the same boring stuff that anyone else does.

im guessing you get a lot of high numbers because 1. this forum probably has more savers than other forums and other americans and 2. people who dont save much probably dont post so only savers are posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance