Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 06:31 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times

Advertisements

I.m sure everyone by now who has a credit card linked to checking account has received a new "smart chip" card.
Was supposed to be safer, right? Longer time at cash register, yep.
Anyone else now being forced to enter in their PIN number as well, so all sale tranactions are now debit card type, and will probably be extra fees associated as well.
How is this safer for the consumer, having to type a PIN in every time? More hassles: anyone concur?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 06:51 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I haven't had that problem.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:51 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
I get charged 25 cents every time I punch in a pin, so I just refuse to.
I tell them it is a credit transaction, and stare until they push the necessary button to make it a
credit transaction. So mine always goes through without a PIN.
I think if it is self serve you just press that one button up top, and it will go through as a pin.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:52 PM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
i have always had to enter my pin # with my old card .. got my new smart card and the first time i used it i did not have to enter the pin # .. kinda shocked me .. anyone can use it without a pin ,, it works both ways though ..

Old 01-16-2017, 06:55 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I get charged 25 cents every time I punch in a pin, so I just refuse to.
I tell them it is a credit transaction, and stare until they push the necessary button to make it a
credit transaction. So mine always goes through without a PIN.
I think if it is self serve you just press that one button up top, and it will go through as a pin.
You get 25 cents per PIN entered?!

Get a new card!

Old 01-16-2017, 06:59 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I don't have debit cards, just credit cards.
I have never even been asked - chip or no chip - to enter a PIN.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:00 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
The Pin turns the Credit Card Transaction into a Debit Card Transaction.

The fees to the merchant are cheaper on Debit then on Credit cards so they push you to do Debits.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
I only use credit cards and pay all balances off at end of month. I refuse all debit cards being pushed on me by the bank. IMO you aren't as protected with a debit card, costs can be more, harder to finalize disputes etc..... I like that I am dealing with someone else's money until I cut them a check for the balance at the end of the month. Plus earning rewards is a nice bonus.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I only use credit cards and pay all balances off at end of month. I refuse all debit cards being pushed on me by the bank. IMO you aren't as protected with a debit card, costs can be more, harder to finalize disputes etc..... I like that I am dealing with someone else's money until I cut them a check for the balance at the end of the month. Plus earning rewards is a nice bonus.
My debt card has the same protections as my credit card

Old 01-17-2017, 07:22 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
My debt card has the same protections as my credit card
If your debit card is compromised, the money is taken from YOUR personal account, not the bank's. Sure, you'll probably get it back - eventually. In the meantime, your account is short X number of dollars, and you may have been depending on those dollars being there to pay bills. (Most banks are pretty quick to refund the stolen money, but they are not required to refund it instantly, and may not if they have doubts about whether fraud actually occurred.)

I've recently had a checking account compromised by fraud, and several credit cards compromised by fraud in the past - believe me, the compromised credit cards were much easier to deal with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance