Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:43 AM

663 posts, read 774,685 times

Advertisements

Savings: $71 000 (no retirement savings, roth ira maxed out. Half in equities, half as cash)
(*Took out a $15 000 credit card loan 1% for 10 months to invest in the hot stock market)

House: No house

Debt: None

Car: 2002 Toyota Corolla (paid off given to me from parents)

Monthly Income: $2700
Monthly Projected Expenses: $1200

Rent: $310 (living in a ghetto neighborhood that is close to work)
Food: $150
Gas: $150
Insurance: 0 Parents paid for it
Cellphone: $30
Other: $600 (car repairs, going out, restaurant, etc)

Am I too frugal? Should I up my rent and live better?
Is that why I am still single?
What's your advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 04:16 AM

18,608 posts, read 33,176,623 times
I'd up my rent and "live better" if I wanted a nicer place to live, period, although maybe women and friends would be leary of visiting in a tough neighborhood.
If you think you're "still" single because you live frugally, you'll going out with the wrong people. By the way, there's no law that you must be married at 26, although one would think so, from the number of people who magically find someone to marry that year of age. (I work with a lot of people in that age range, and it seems they all marry whoever they're dating when they're about 26. Not saying these are particularly good marriages).

I think people should marry if and when they know someone they want to spend their lives with who shares that feeling, pure and simple. It's not about a number. "Marry in haste, repent in leisure." After all, numbers and addresses and costs of living can be negotiated with someone, whereas connection cannot.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:27 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,672,029 times
I don't think you're single because of frugality.

That said, I think it's impressive that you have saved so much 4 years younger than me.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:04 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,645,220 times
Is the 15K to invest in the market for the long term and ignore the noise, or to try your luck at a few individual stocks/speculating/trading?

I'm 'assuming' you want to jump on the train and try your luck at the 2nd option (since you mentioned the 'hot' stock market....just a word of wisdom, the overwhelming majority of individuals actually lose money, or woefully underperform people who invest w/an AA to their risk tolerance in low cost/tax efficient investments, and avoid the noise...

Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 AM

11,409 posts, read 7,722,387 times
Is there room for advancement in your job? Your income is rather low, but adequate for a single person living a frugal lifestyle. If you ever plan to live in a better area, buy a new car or have a family, I'd concentrate on how you can grow your income.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:53 AM

13,715 posts, read 30,999,856 times
You aren't too frugal unless you are miserable. I am very impressed with your savings at this age and modest income.

I wonder why your gas expenses are $150 if you drive a Corolla and you live close to work.

If your social life is not hurt by where you live, and you do not feel unsafe, then you may not want to do anything.

But you do WANT to have a social life at this age. Just don't stay at home all the time and play video games. Get out - meet people - while being sensible with your money.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 PM

663 posts, read 774,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Is there room for advancement in your job? Your income is rather low, but adequate for a single person living a frugal lifestyle. If you ever plan to live in a better area, buy a new car or have a family, I'd concentrate on how you can grow your income.
It is IT sector so I'd like to think there is room for advancement heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You aren't too frugal unless you are miserable. I am very impressed with your savings at this age and modest income.

I wonder why your gas expenses are $150 if you drive a Corolla and you live close to work.

If your social life is not hurt by where you live, and you do not feel unsafe, then you may not want to do anything.

But you do WANT to have a social life at this age. Just don't stay at home all the time and play video games. Get out - meet people - while being sensible with your money.
My gas expense is high because I do alot of activities heh.
e.g. driving to rowing practice, driving to gym, etc.

I don't feel unsafe in the neighborhood but I don't think girls would want to see my place lol. The inside is clean but the neighborhood is pretty crap.

I haven't been able to bring a girl home yet...

Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,973,240 times
You won't know if where you're living is an issue until you bring a girl there.

My girlfriend would never move in with me living in a bad part of town... But that is not a reason not to date someone.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:06 PM

706 posts, read 1,304,828 times
I want to know why you took on credit card debt to invest. I think that is potentially dangerous. I remember trying to catch a falling knife during the Enron implosion with some energy stocks and got heard badly.

If you don't need to take the risk, don't. That would be my advice.

Also, get a nicer place you tightwad ha ha. Just playing. But seriously, no lady friend is going to want to come back to a dangerous apartment.

Even the worse neighborhoods I know have rent above $600. Where in the world do you live??

Old 05-20-2013, 03:38 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,174,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post

Savings: $71 000 (no retirement savings, roth ira maxed out. Half in equities, half as cash)
(*Took out a $15 000 credit card loan 1% for 10 months to invest in the hot stock market)

House: No house

Debt: None

Car: 2002 Toyota Corolla (paid off given to me from parents)

Monthly Income: $2700
Monthly Projected Expenses: $1200

Rent: $310 (living in a ghetto neighborhood that is close to work)
Food: $150
Gas: $150
Insurance: 0 Parents paid for it
Cellphone: $30
Other: $600 (car repairs, going out, restaurant, etc)

Am I too frugal? Should I up my rent and live better?
Is that why I am still single?
What's your advice?
That doesn't make sense to me.

Otherwise, you are doing great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance