Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 12:47 PM

470 posts, read 468,890 times

Advertisements

I went to open a new bank account with a major bank recently and was denied because I had credit freezes with all 3 credit reporting agencies. I was able to unfreeze with 2 agencies but I hit a roadblock with Experian. I found out via recorded message that they require this to be done by mail now. I was unable to talk to a live person about this so I gave up. Experian wants several pieces of sensitive info via mail to get this file unfrozen. I felt uncomfortable sending it via mail. I suppose if I'm forced into it I'll have no choice but to send it via registered mail. I'm hoping the bank will accept the 2 agencies and forget Experian. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, is it just me or is it IMPOSSIBLE to speak with a live human being via phone at Experian? I researched this on the web and could find no number to call to get through to them. Their phone menu has no option for that.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 12:50 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,814,354 times
Follow the links here: https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-e...credit-report/

Old 09-01-2019, 12:53 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,355,332 times
Same problem. The bank I was using randomly picks one of the three. I was lucky and they program did not pick the one I could not unlock. Just tell the bank your problem.

You have to send the documents because they do not know if someone is trying to access your accounts so they can not rely on the online procedure. Send the data. They probably already know the numbers.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:10 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,940,956 times
I am 86 and when Lucent had a breach they offered free credit freeze,two unlocked years ago and one I could not unlock.
I do not know if it ever got unlocked.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:38 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Yes, I just went through it and it's a real PITA. Experian was the worst and I had to fax them my driver's license and a cover letter with other info before I could log in (even though I'd kept very detailed notes when I froze them all over a year ago so I had my password and PIN). I un-froze it, un-froze the other two, applied for a credit card, was accepted and then couldn't re-freeze with Experian or TransUnion. I did call Experian (sorry, don't remember how I got a human) and they wanted me to send MORE info. For some silly reason I was able to re-freeze it from TransUnion's site. I think the "un-freeze" on TransUnion was temporary so it should revert back.

I did a LOT of research before applying for this card (Costco Visa)- I have a Fidelity 2% cash back and non-renewed my AA Visa (that was a one-year churn to get the sign-on bonus). It will likely be a very long time till I go through this rigmarole again to get a new credit card.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:42 PM

I followed the procedures. Experian won't unlock my files until I mail them the info they want. I'm hoping the bank will accept the other two agencies and forego Experian. Experian is a pain in the rump to deal with. I got right through to Equifax and Trans Union but never could receive an actual human at Experian. I googled this and found that many other people have had the same problem. I don't think it's possible to speak with Experian anymore. Four years ago I had no problem with any of the agencies un-freezing my credit. I had to pay $10 per agency to do it but I still had no problem. Now they do it for free and I'm encountering problems. Experian wants me to mail them my social security number, my birthdate, my addresses over the past 5 years along with utility statements, and a copy of my drivers license. They haven't asked for my first born child yet and I'm wondering how that got past them.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:49 PM

Athena- I feel your pain. This is ridiculous. I can understand them wanting to verify identity but this goes way beyond that. I wouldn't have frozen my files except for the fact that my identity was stolen back in 2004. I've kept the files frozen ever since. I had to get a mortgage four years ago and managed to easily get my files unlocked. I'm still not sure why Experian is being so difficult. These agencies have a lot of power and it seems to me that they can set whatever rules they want. If anyone knows how to call them and get through to a live human being please let me know. I tried a website that supposedly will get you through to any credit agency but it didn't work.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:19 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
Four years ago I had no problem with any of the agencies un-freezing my credit. I had to pay $10 per agency to do it but I still had no problem. Now they do it for free and I'm encountering problems.
I think there's a cause and effect here. It's no longer profitable for them (I believe the law now requires them to provide this service at no charge) so they want to make it as hard as possible.

Bu the way, if it makes any difference, I checked my notes and the major runaround was with Equifax, not Experian. Hard to keep them straight. What I may do if I ever decide to apply for another card is to apply on-line, wait for the snail-mail letter telling me which bureau's credit records I need to unlock, and then doing only that one. That's how I got the Fidelity Visa. Sure lengthens the time it takes to get the card, though.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:16 PM

Athena- I think you are correct. Ever since they have made it free it seems very hard to do. All of these agencies have been sending me emails all week offering me services for which they wish to charge me for. It took me awhile but I was able to talk to human beings at Equifax and TransUnion. It went well once I was able to speak with someone. I never could get through to Experian. I'm hoping the bank will forego Experian next week when I speak with them. I'm not trying to borrow money from the bank. I'm just trying to set up a savings account. You wouldn't think this would be such a hassle especially since I've already got a credit card with this bank. I would like to be able to unfreeze my credit file with Experian because eventually I may have to. Currently it will take me two weeks via mail to get that done.

Thank you for your response!

Old 09-05-2019, 04:03 AM

106,777 posts, read 108,997,702 times
keep in mind freezing consumer credit does not stop someone from getting commercial credit in your name . commercial credit goes through the likes of dunn and bradstreet where there is no freeze .the internet is full of commercial loan horror stories .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance