U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 06:05 PM

7 posts, read 40,711 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about it?
Do you feel marked down? Useless?
That is how I feel right now.

I just got my first judgment and I am beside myself.

My coworker was telling me that many people have judgments on their record and that it's not a big deal. Well, I've always prided myself on being by the book, but an unscrupulous landlord & lawyer have ruined mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 06:29 PM

9,224 posts, read 17,223,285 times
Judgements only show up on your credit report if you don't pay them. If this is a real situation and not a made-up "discussion starter" (if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and all that) then it's certainly too bad that everything turned out this way, but it's far from the end of the world.

Reality check: The 16 year old brother of my daughter's friend was killed a couple of weeks ago when a tractor rolled over on him. He's not going to recover from that, ever. And neither will his family.

You, on the other hand, will be fine. Nothing has been damaged except your pride.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:50 PM

Thanks for your response duster.
I started 2 discussions because this is really weighing on me. I'm not a troll.

I know that there are worse things in the world, i.e. death, but that doesn't mean that the current situation I'm facing, a real injustice I might add, doesn't hurt.

Anyway, I thought judgments continue to show, whether you pay them or not, for at least 7 years? No?
Do you have a judgment?

Old 07-18-2013, 06:59 PM

Courts don't report to the credit reporting agencies, creditors do. All a judgement does is tell the world that the court decided that you owe somebody some money. As long as you pay the money there's no reason whatsoever for a judgement to show up on your credit report.

But the key is to pay it immediately. If you delay beyond the timeframe for payment established by the court the entity you owe the money to can report it to the credit bureaus and it will indeed be on there for several years even if you pay it off.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 PM

And to answer your question, yes, I do have a judgement. And no, it is not on my credit report.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:05 PM

I hope you are right duster.
I plan to pay it ASAP, even though writing that check will hurt because it was unjust.
Anyway, thanks for your answers.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:57 PM

5,587 posts, read 5,288,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Judgements only show up on your credit report if you don't pay them.
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Courts don't report to the credit reporting agencies, creditors do.
Wrong again.

Neither the courts or the judgment creditor reports a judgment. There are people who earn a living by searching through court records for unreported judgments. When they spot a judgment that is still within the reporting period, paid or not, they will sell the judgment info to the CRA's and the CRA's will report it. That's probably why your own judgment wasn't reported, the judgment records searcher missed it.

As for any disputes to the CRA's about judgments, the judgment creditor cannot verify any judgment dispute. The courts will not verify judgment disputes. The CRA's lie and claim the courts verify, but actually the CRA's get their verification from data miners like Lex/Nex, etc.

To the OP, IMO, your lawyer sounds like a real slug. It sounds like she did as little as she possibly could to earn the fee that she charged you.

Once you pay the judgment you might try to have the judgment vacated (and please use a different lawyer). It would help if the judgment creditor would sign a paper agreeing to vacating the judgment. If it's vacated then it must be removed from your credit reports.

And/or

Get a copy of the recorded judgment. Look it over for anything that is wrong, compared to what is reporting on your credit reports. Say for example the dates or the amounts that is showing on the judgment is different than what is showing on your credit reports. Also, if you pay the judgment and your credit reports are still showing the judgment is unsatisfied with a dollar amount ....... then dispute that with the CRA's.

DO NOT send in a copy of the recorded judgment or any paperwork you have showing that you'd paid it!!

Google the term - Why Chat's Credit Confusion and scroll down to his Special Purpose Letters to find the sample template letter - Delete Incorrect Judgments From Reports , Guide To Deleting Judgments
And follow his steps exactly.
Everything on his site is free to read and use. It's a read only site so if you have any questions about how to handle the steps/letter, then go to creditboards (which is also a free site) and ask your question in the Credit Forum. Everyone on that site is well aware of all of Why Chat's letters and information, and Why Chat also hangs out on that site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or