Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:28 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
I've always been curious as a soon to be college grad considering continuing with an MBA in finance, about credit card trends in the US. In otherwords, are a lot of americans walking around with like 3-5 chase cards discover etc lol with HIGH credit lines like 20k+? Or is this a thing of the past (pre-recession)?

Also, what is a realistic limit to expect or ask for on first card. Ideally I'd like a limit no less (or more) then 10-12k. And 2 cards.
In college I had an Amex card with a limit of 28,000 dollars.

However, I suspect Amex got confused, since I had the same name and address as my dad.

I don't have that card anymore, I just have two credit cards, both with a 3,000 dollar limit that I never really get close to. They get paid off at the end of every month, and we just use them to build up the points and get some discounts at vacation time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I have a 22K Citibank MC that I received in 1998. I use it every month for the 1% rebate, but pay if off every month. Highest balance was $6,800 (for a trip) and paid it off the next month.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:14 PM

531 posts, read 758,590 times
Never pay much attention to limit. Care only cashback. Love AXP unlimited 5% back in supermarket and gas station.
AXP used to offer $75 annual fee with 6% supermarket. Now AXP cap it with $6000 yearly limit and we have to cut it.

Also, a well known secret is to buy prepaid CC in supermarket to pay other charges or tax bill.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:37 PM

131 posts, read 260,798 times
We have only three credit cards with limits of $25,000, $15,000 and $5,000. We also pay off our cards every month. And, until I was in my late twenties, I was always refused any credit cards I applied for although I have never had an unpaid or late debt (a more stringent time for the card companies).

I would accept the limit given and if needed (perhaps for a planed trip) then ask for an increase

Old 09-06-2013, 08:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I had a American express card co-signed by parents and gas card in college. My father made sure I paid them off monthly which American Express required then. By the time I got out of college I just had to transfer them when I got a job. The application required a minimum income and all debt listed and credit check even then. The gas card was just easy call since I had history. Every few credit cards then other than store ;gas and American Express. You also paid a yearly fee with American Express then.Dropped American Express later for no fee cards and still get offers . I have never had a interest charge as I still pay off monthly. and do most of my buying on them.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:59 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
I don't know who in the heck would want to spend $40K they didn't actually have. I don't know what 'most' people do but I am a single mother, middle aged and I have only ever had one credit card. I think it started with $1000 limit. Now it has $10000. But since I have had it so long (25 years) and my credit score is excellent, I'm sure it would take one phone call to get that increased.

Not sure why I would need to do that. Maybe a medical emergency? I very rarely carry a balance. If I can't pay cash for it, I generally don't need it. The only debt I have is my mortgage.

That said, i am coming off of two months of unemployment (no benefits) and my checking acct hit an all time low today of $237. Yikes! So the credit card is going to have to work for me until I get paid at the end of September!

Old 09-08-2013, 01:26 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, the Amex is good cuz it has no limit and is accepted very widely overseas.
We make a lot of our travel reservations with that when we go abroad.

Wish I could use the Discover for everything and keep raking in that cash back.
Do you shop at Costco? They have an American Express card with no additional fee (just the Costco membership) and good cash back.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:05 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Bumping this old thread out of curiosity - there were soany people who posted on this thread that they only use cash. Why on earth would you do that? I don't get it:

1. A card cannot be stolen. If someone takes it or you lose it you just call and cancel. The credit card company will cancel charges. Stolen cash is just gone.

2. Purchase protection. Extended warranties and price protection on everything you buy

3. Free insurance typically on your travel and rental cars.

4. Points and cash back on everything you spend. With cash you get nothing.

I just don't understand a single benefit of using cash over credit unless you just don't have the willpower to not overspend?

Old 01-13-2017, 09:03 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
A former colleague of mine told me his credit card limit got raised to $25,000 when his annual income was only about $23,000 or so. I was dumbfounded. I guess if they have issues they can just get another taxpayer bailout, right?

On the other hand if someone is making six figures (or close to it), I'd expect this kind of limit to be commonplace.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:14 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,078,730 times
I'm not sure how or why some people have such high limits. I have two credit cards and the highest limit is $12,500 between the two (the other is $9,500). One of those cards (the lower limit one) is a Discover I've had for over 20 years and started off with a $500 limit when I was 18. The other is a Cap One Venture I've had for about 5 years. I used to have an Amex Blue that was in both mine and my exes name but we closed that account after a divorce. I have around an 800 credit score and make 6 figures. Granted, I don't use the cards very often, but still...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance