Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 01:49 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times

Advertisements

All the stories in the news about the possible government shut down and the impact on federal government and contractors paychecks has really left an impression on me.

I have read that about fifty percent of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. That is scary, but I always assumed that was mostly young people making less than $25K a year. MOST Federal Government Workers are trained and educated folks making at least middle class incomes. And people over 30 years old have had time to save a rainy day fund and access to credit to use in case of an emergency.

If your paycheck was delayed for 1,2,3 months what would happen to you? Would you go hungry and become homeless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 01:54 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I could get by for about 6 months in savings (before I would need to sell "things" or tap retirement funds), but it would be very tight. No going out, frills, etc. The public library would become my entertainment.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:01 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
I've made mistakes and don't have 6 months worth of expenses saved up. I have barely 1 month at this point (but growing rapidly okay!)
I make decent income, but if say I was fired or laid off or my company blew up, I would not be out of work more than 1 month.
I haven't been out of work more than a few weeks since I turned 17, and even that happened only once.

And if I was in transition between jobs, I have ways of making money...side jobs, sell stuff, craigslist.

*edit I have a retirement account too which I don't take into account

Last edited by NARFALICIOUS; 09-27-2013 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 02:42 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
In immediate savings I could only get by for about 3 months.

But I could get by for about 2 years by tapping into my brokerage account.

This is assuming that both my wife and I lost our income.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:44 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I have read that about fifty percent of Americans live paycheck to paycheck. That is scary, but I always assumed that was mostly young people making less than $25K a year. MOST Federal Government Workers are trained and educated folks making at least middle class incomes. And people over 30 years old have had time to save a rainy day fund and access to credit to use in case of an emergency.
In many (most) cases it isn't a lack of income that's at the root of people's problems. It's that people live as if nothing bad is ever going to happen to them and, thus, therefore do not prioritize saving.

Now, I'm sure someone will come on this board and find an example to contradict what I've said....but I still say that in most cases, financial problems are usually a symptom of personal problems or a failure to plan.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
No change.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:23 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
I'd have less money in my checking account.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:36 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
All the stories in the news about the possible government shut down and the impact on federal government and contractors paychecks has really left an impression on me.

If your paycheck was delayed for 1,2,3 months what would happen to you? Would you go hungry and become homeless?
I'd join you in retirement.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:55 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:

If your paycheck was delayed for 1,2,3 months what would happen to you?
nothing, i have almost a year's worth of savings tucked away. and i am 24

Old 09-28-2013, 01:12 PM

28 posts, read 42,864 times
Realistically I would be fine but I would be pretty ticked off at having to dip into my emergency funds. I'm lucky enough to be able to save, but it really has taken a lot of time and effort!

Two years ago it would have been a different story. If I'd been hit by a bus and unable to work, I would have had to move back in with my parents since I barely had anything saved. So I really sympathize with people who are living paycheck to paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance