Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 09:58 AM

531 posts, read 1,079,632 times

Advertisements

Hello -

Any recommendations on tax planners - someone who is good at tax laws and help the clients plan well. Did not help to get the CPA who does taxes. So looking for someone in that niche.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 10:13 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feng21 View Post
Any recommendations on tax planners -
someone who is good at tax laws and help the clients plan well.
A good CPA should be able to do that well.

Quote:
Did not help to get the CPA who does taxes.
Was this an actual CPA or just a tax preparer?
In any case, you're on the right trail; you just need to be pickier.
You'll also need to expect to pay more for their time than what the tax form guy charges.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:04 AM

531 posts, read 1,079,632 times
He was a CPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Was this an actual CPA or just a tax preparer?
In any case, you're on the right trail; you just need to be pickier.
You'll also need to expect to pay more for their time than what the tax form guy charges.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:54 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feng21 View Post
Hello -

Any recommendations on tax planners - someone who is good at tax laws and help the clients plan well. Did not help to get the CPA who does taxes. So looking for someone in that niche.

Thanks in advance.
What sort of "tax planning" are you talking about? In general, CPAs are pretty knowledgeable on tax issues, but it depends on the tax issues you're dealing with.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:08 PM

460 posts, read 779,018 times
What were you expecting that the CPA didn't hep you with?

Old 10-14-2013, 04:25 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
I have not found that to be the case. I am beginning to think that simply no one is willing to provide true tax advice to folks in the middle class - there's probably not enough money to be made.

Quote:
And that's the rub: It begs the question whether the cost of true tax planning is higher than the benefit thereof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
What sort of "tax planning" are you talking about?
I cannot speak for the OP, but I suspect the desire is for someone who will help with restructuring finances to substantially reduce tax exposure, both now and through retirement.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
My CPA also has a Master of Science in Taxation... he is genius!

Old 10-14-2013, 08:38 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I cannot speak for the OP, but I suspect the desire is for someone who will help with restructuring finances to substantially reduce tax exposure, both now and through retirement.
Well, if you're typical "middle class" (working at a job for a company, maybe own a house, have limited savings outside of a 401K and/or IRA) there's not a heck of a lot one can do. Most of one's income is wage/salary income. You can max out pre-tax savings opportunities, but even there one has to assume that their effective tax rate in retirement on distributions will be about the same or lower than it is on their contributions. It might make sense to do a Roth rather than a regular IRA if one has the option, depending on an individual's circumstances. If there's a company match, a 401(k) contribution to company match almost always makes sense, and if one's earnings aren't terribly high then there's the retirement saver's credit to give a bit of an extra incentive to save.

Qualified dividends and LTCG are tax-preferenced compared to interest income if one is saving outside of a qualified plan, but often people want much of that savings in non-volatile investments. Plus, with any planning, you don't want to let the tax tail wag the investment dog.

It's not that "the rich" have BETTER tax options (as in lower tax rates overall), but rather that they have more complex issues to deal with and more assets that can be deployed in much different ways. Granted, this is a "such problems one should have" issue (Oh noes, I have to worry about estate taxation! Darn that ten figure net worth!), but the point is that if you're "middle class" your federal tax liability often isn't terribly high and there isn't a whole lot you can do to minimize that more. Also, any planning should likely focus more on investment planning than on just "taxes".

Circular 230 Disclaimer - I don't claim to know a darn thing about taxes or investing. I Am Not A Financial Planner and This Is Not Advice. I could be as dumb as post and completely wrong on everything I type. Talk to a real tax and/or financial advisor. The IRS doesn't care what strangers on the intermawebz told you when you file a tax return.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:38 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
there's not a heck of a lot one can do. Most of one's income is wage/salary income.
This has been my conclusion, at least so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance