U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,014 times

Advertisements

I do my own record keeping for my 1st year S-Corp. I use credit cards (which I pay off) to purchase most things so that I can track what I've bought.

For example, let's say I go to Office Depot and buy pens, pencils and other office supplies. I'm using the credit card statement as my paper trail incase I ever get audited. I don't keep itemized receipts. I know it would be wise to do so but I haven't for the past year.

Does the IRS consider the CC statement as sufficient recordkeeping? If ever audited, would they disregard these deductible expenses because I only have the CC statement to prove I spent the money?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 05:56 PM

120 posts, read 239,689 times
Yes and no. I hear it depends on two things. How good your rep. against them is, and if they want to be a ball buster (most are). Therefore, according to the KGB handbook. You need two things to prove a deduction. One, an invoice or receipt. Two, proof of payment for said deduction. I keep both. Furthermore, I keep a digitized copy of my return, bank statements, credit card statements, invoices, etc. as well as a hard copy. After completing my return, I load all documents in my handy dandy Neat Machine and scan away. It's then stored on a separate drive for backups. I also keep all the files in a folder in my filing cabinet.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:41 PM

245 posts, read 526,356 times
You need to establish two things: 1) You've incurred the expense (proof of payment) and 2) The expense is a deductible business expense.

A credit card statement supports the first item and not the second. Office Depot sells many items, including tablets, backpacks, school supplies, PC games, TVs, and other items that may or may not be tax deductible.

If you are audited, the IRS will ask for a receipt, packing slip, or some other document to see what you've purchased.

If you're missing a few receipts, you should be okay. But for big ticket items, I'd keep very detailed records. You'd probably keep the receipt for warranty purposes anyway.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:36 PM

19,616 posts, read 21,789,367 times
No, a credit card statement is almost never sufficient proof. It might work for a parking garage. Sign up for an account with your office store and they'll generally email you receipts or even store them electronically for you. Live and learn.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:13 PM

41,111 posts, read 24,494,818 times
When I started my business I was like you and tried to keep my books. I finally changed that. I am now paying a bookkeeper and established a good relationship with my CPA who I can ask these types of questions. This is the best money I spend. I can't do it all perfectly and it's always best to pay a professional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance