Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 11:15 AM

58 posts, read 141,101 times

Advertisements

Good news is, I got a job offer over Skype to move to Oklahoma.
Bad news is, I am stressing out!

First of all, I am currently living in Hawaii and I am 23 years old. I just grad from a college last year.

Yesterday, I got a job offer in C# Programming, over Skype. It's a 8 month contract for now, but possible extension. That's fine with me also, since I want to move around.

I was gonna buy a plane ticket, and take a cab from the airport to my new apartment (which I haven't found yet). Looking for one that's really close to Oklahoma, Midwest City.

Anyway, my biggest concern right now is, how to get around. I heard that In OK, you definitely need a car to get around. I have a car in Hawaii, it's a 2011 Mazda 3. Only 15k miles. Shipping it to OK would cost me $1.5k.

I need opinion on what you guys think I should do.

1. Ship the car from Hawaii to OK. After 8 months, if I get another job in, let's say, Cali. I'll just drive my car from OK to cali. Simple and easy. However, if I wanted to go back to hawaii for couple months to stay with my parents, I wouldn't know where to keep my car or what to do with it.

OR

2. Should I buy a car for like $2k? I'm sure they won't be that reliable but try to keep it running it for at least 8 months, and then re-sell it when I am moving out of OK.

I don't know if I can get a lease, not sure how that works.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? on this whole process?

what ever tips/tricks you guys can throw at me, I would really appreciate it. This is my first time moving so yea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 12:03 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Go with your item# 2 plan. Shipping the Mazda means that money is gone, and do you want to pay to move it again later ? Wait til you find a more permanent job to ship it somewhere. A 2K beater will still have some value after 8 months. And you have a car in HI when returning, etc.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:18 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times
No no! don't do it! You my friend are living the dream of many (including yours truly) of living in "paradise". don't give it up!

Old 01-22-2014, 12:21 PM

58 posts, read 141,101 times
Thanks reed, I guess that may be my choice. Leasing would not be worth it?

Thinking-man, once you lived in this so called "paradise" for over 11 years. It's nothing special anymore. Same old boring things, over and over. Very small island. Great for vacation, TERRIBLE for living.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:10 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
Thanks reed, I guess that may be my choice. Leasing would not be worth it?

Thinking-man, once you lived in this so called "paradise" for over 11 years. It's nothing special anymore. Same old boring things, over and over. Very small island. Great for vacation, TERRIBLE for living.
i guess you'd know better...as i never lived there. I've been to Honolulu, Maui, and Kauai and i think i'd enjoy life there...but then again, i've never had the experience of actually living there....i may then feel as you do.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:04 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc1 View Post
However, if I wanted to go back to hawaii for couple months to stay with my parents, I wouldn't know where to keep my car or what to do with it.
This statement is important. Are you moving to the mainland to start a new professional life? Or are you kinda playing around thinking you'll work a bit, then go back to Hawaii when the waves are big?

If you are going to OK to work, then ship the car. Then you won't have to buy a beater to get around. That beater could cost you as much as shipping your Mazda if the beater breaks down. Then you have wasted several thousand $$. If you really hate being away from Hawaii, then ship the car back when you move back.

If you are a good programmer, you won't have trouble finding work. You might like Texas better than OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance