Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 06:02 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

I'm reading a lot of horror stories about Bank of America on this forum. I'm a Wachovia employee (turned down by B of A) and it is really interesting to read these. Just share here about your B of A horror story and to keep this fair share any Wachovia horror stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 07:29 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
I hate Bank of America. They are just a big evil cabal in my view. Apparently I am not the only one either. Clark Howard led a boycott that cost them $50 million:
Bank of America loses $50 million from customers upset by false arrest - Boing Boing

Old 12-01-2007, 07:33 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I do business with Bank of America and have for more then 10 years. I have found it convenient how I can find a location about anywhere, near where I live AND when I am home with family.

HOWEVER, I am a little put off that (according to a news story) they are willing to issue credit cards to people who are not in the US legally. People with NO credit history etc. In the end, people who are using FALSE paperwork to live and work here, are going to be given credit cards which they will default on and it will filter down to the legitamate customers to pick up the slack and thats not right.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:19 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
People with NO credit history etc.
I'd just like to say.. BoA was the only place that would allow me to start building my credit. I learned young that credit was important in today's society. However, starting credit is very hard business... I'm actually thankful BoA issued me my student-BoA Credit Card.

On the flipside, it only has a $600 limit...

I've banked with BoA for almost 4 years now... and I've never had a problem with them. Their policies might upset me.. but at least around here, they have the best customer service people over any other bank I've entered.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I'd just like to say.. BoA was the only place that would allow me to start building my credit. I learned young that credit was important in today's society. However, starting credit is very hard business... I'm actually thankful BoA issued me my student-BoA Credit Card.

On the flipside, it only has a $600 limit...

I've banked with BoA for almost 4 years now... and I've never had a problem with them. Their policies might upset me.. but at least around here, they have the best customer service people over any other bank I've entered.
Capital One and most credit unions will give you the same card and probably for better terms.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:21 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
I love Bank of America. They offer a lot of services that other banks simply just can't compare with and they always get what they need to do done efficiently and quickly.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:59 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
I worked for BOA on and off (some contract) for over ten years. They are a good company with all the upsides and downsides of a giant corporation. All of my business expenses ran through the bank with no problem. I did choose to do my personal finances through other institutions (brokerage and CUs) and would probably not choose any of the large banks for that purpose.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I do business with Bank of America and have for more then 10 years. I have found it convenient how I can find a location about anywhere, near where I live AND when I am home with family.

HOWEVER, I am a little put off that (according to a news story) they are willing to issue credit cards to people who are not in the US legally. People with NO credit history etc. In the end, people who are using FALSE paperwork to live and work here, are going to be given credit cards which they will default on and it will filter down to the legitamate customers to pick up the slack and thats not right.
I've been with B of A for years, too. It is convenient. I like their online banking a lot, but I'm also put off by their practices in recent years... They keep advertising on yahoo as we speak mortgages with no SS number whereas at the same time do a hard pull on our credit reports when opening a checking or a savings account with our own money! I've read the SS question is totally bypassed if you press the Spanish button...

I had an unpleasant experience lately, which was handled very well and quickly by them, but then again it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Of course, the way everything's done... it can happen with any bank, I suppose. At this time I write one check a month and it happened to be stolen and my account number used on another washed check. Turns out you can cash anything you want when using ATMs. None of the information on the check matched mine (it was even a business name) other than the account number and it happily went through. Apparently nobody ever checks it unless a problem occurs. Obviously, the headache of closing the account, opening another one, linking various other services and accounts to the new one was mine.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:32 PM

60 posts, read 163,235 times
I currently bank with BOA and Chevy Chase Bank and Chevy Chase services just doesn't even compare to BOA. BOA is like your Target--anyone can use it, and Chevy Chase is like your Lord & Taylor. I run my CDs through Chevy Chase, but I keep selective checking through BOA. And an ongoing student account there.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:30 PM

673 posts, read 2,717,078 times
We are in the process of transitioning our business account from BofA to a local credit union. The credit union has multiple branches, managers who know business clients, much cheaper services, much better services. For example, this credit union doesn't float deposits.

Even though we banked at BofA for 15 years, we were nobodies every time we walked in - and especially when we had a specific need. The true test of any relationship is in times of need.

The last straws for us: 1) BofA put a hold on a cashier's check, 2) BofA started charging our employees to cash checks. BofA is just not how we choose to do business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance