Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2007, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,048 times

Advertisements

I had a couple of delinquent payments and collection accounts a couple of years ago when I had lost my job. I paid all them in full and everything was cleared up...so I thought. My first problem is that Charter Communications (a cable company) has put a collection on my account in the amount of $33. Can they legally report $33 on my credit report, I read a few years back that the amount had to be at least $100, but I am not sure. But regardless of that I know I do not owe them $33, I paid them off in 2005 but I am not sure that I can find my paper work to prove that, but right now that is the only current negative item on my credit report and I want it off. I just disputed it so I guess now I will just have to wait, but I am curious to know if they can even put that on my credit.

And secondly, I paid off these two collections, one for Verizon and one for Sprint. They both are on my credit saying paid charge off, but both still say open. I disputed it and said that it should say closed because I paid them off over a year ago. Is it suppose to say paid charge off or should it say collection paid in full? And why would it still be showing as open? I have filed disputes with all three credit agencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 10:28 PM

166 posts, read 615,731 times
If you paid these bills prior to them being reported to the credit bureaus, then you can dispute them with proof of payment and have them removed.

I would get a copy of all three of your reports and dispute them quickly though. Also, check to see who the creditor is. Likely, if this is an old debt then it has been purchased by a third party collecting agency who can add charges and fees to your debt that you hadn't signed to upon the original agreement or purchase.

Good Luck!

~A much former bill collector, trying to repent~

Old 12-05-2007, 08:26 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,384,159 times
If something is sent to collections, it's a "charge off" isn't it? Even after it's paid, I think it still shows up as a "charge off" since the original creditor was never paid.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:30 PM

166 posts, read 615,731 times
If the account has not been charged off at the time of payment, it should not show up on a credit report. This is because the creditor will close the books on the account. Further transactions such as reporting the delinquency won't take place.

However, if the original debt is "settled" then it more than likely will show up on a credit report. This can happen any time up to nine years after the settlement. Usually, a lawyer or small collections agency will purchase the old, charged off & settled debt for pennies on the dollar. Then, they add their own terms and conditions to this "new" debt - such as monthly non-payment fees etc. The debt you once settled for 50% is now 60% larger than the settled balance it's a snowball.

And it's also hook, line, and sinker. Once this debt is on your report, you're likely going to pay it. And it will stay there for another 7 years.

The best advise is to move forward. A $33 debt will not actually hurt your credit. It's explainable, and most all lenders will look right past it when reviewing your credit. It's when they start to see four or five or six $33 debts that you couldn't or didn't pay that they will think twice about lending to you.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:36 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,150,178 times
als4281
You can try disputing the cable but you may need to provide the proof that the $33 was paid.
As far a the "wording" on the Verizon and Sprint once the account has been charged off (180days) it will be listed as a "charge off" so when you paid it became a "paid charge off".

I have to disagree with you Not Iowa. Unless you meant to say "the account should not be reported as charged off if it was paid before 180 days at which it would be charged off"
If the account was over 31 days past due it will show up on the credit report.

Now as far as settlement if someone "settles" a past due or charged off account it can not be "sold" because the debt has been settled. This will report as "charged off settled or even just "settlement account"
Old charged off account can be sold but not settled ones. If all of a sudden someone starts getting collection calls on a settled debt all they need to do is provide the settlement letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance