Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:21 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago, I started receiving telephone calls wishing me condolences on the loss of a parent. Problem is, both of my parents are still alive.

Then I received a phone call from an attorney asking for my signature to sell some land in a state I have never visited as part of the settlement of this dead parent's estate. I asked him how he got my number. He replied that the funeral home gave it to him.

And now I'm getting phone calls from Sally Mae about my delinquent loan. I don't have any outstanding loans. I paid for college by working full time while attending full-time classes. [EDIT -- I just got off the phone with Sally Mae. The account is for someone with the same first and last name as me, but a different middle name. I was transferred to their fraud department -- and they couldn't find the records that the first operator found in a matter of a few seconds. "We'll do what we can." Yeah, sure. I totally believe that one.]

My name isn't exactly common. But it isn't exactly rare, either. Nobody has tried to open any lines of credit in my name. But I'll bet that happens soon...

Now I'm waiting for the next domino to fall. Any suggestions?

Last edited by ScoopLV; 04-21-2014 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 10:46 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Contact all 3 credit agencies (Equifax, Experian, and Transunion) and freeze your credit.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:50 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,452,603 times
I used to help people with this all the time. Not exactly identity fraud--we would call it "same name fraud"--the intentions were good, but you've been mixed up with someone else and end result is still a mess.

Yes, get copies of your credit report as advised above. Log every call or contact, and get clarification at the beginning of the call exactly who they want, then clarify that you are not that person, just a similiar name.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I used to help people with this all the time. Not exactly identity fraud--we would call it "same name fraud"--the intentions were good, but you've been mixed up with someone else and end result is still a mess.

Yes, get copies of your credit report as advised above. Log every call or contact, and get clarification at the beginning of the call exactly who they want, then clarify that you are not that person, just a similiar name.
I already have a freeze on my credit. And the calls I'm receiving (now that the condolence calls have stopped) are all robo calls. There is nobody to talk to. And when I call the bank/debt collector/Sally Mae, they say they're going to do something about it, but don't.

This is the second problem I'm having.

I have a problem with a deadbeat who used to have my telephone number. Completely different name. That's slowly getting better. The calls have abated from several each day to one every week or so.

Now I have a problem with someone with a very similar name either fraudulently using my telephone, or there's been some sort of clerical mix-up. The end result is the same. I have half a mind to obtain an unlisted telephone number. (I need to have a land line for reasons I'm not going to go into.)

Old 04-22-2014, 12:59 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Can you screen your calls -- caller id, or phone machine to leave messages on? At least you will know when to pick up.

I had that problem with the phone number, too. Had a heck of a time convincing creditors that Ernesto didn't live at this number, and NEVER had lived at this number. Even worse was getting them to tell WHY they were calling.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:27 PM

Agreed -- debt collectors mistakenly call my number, and then have the gall to act indignant when I try to find out WHY they're calling my number.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:38 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Agreed -- debt collectors mistakenly call my number, and then have the gall to act indignant when I try to find out WHY they're calling my number.

I would have an attoney send a letter to Sally Mae regarding the loan that is in default and make sure it is sent via USPS and has to be signed for. The letter should explain that you are not the loan holder and they need to have their paperwork straightened out by a specific date or all legal avenues will be pursued through the court system.

As far as the telephone calls go, screen your calls. If you do not want to screen your calls when you answer the telephone do not say hello immediately, wait until whomever is on the other end speaks first.
A lot of robotic calls are stopped if no voice is heard by the machine and that number is deleted by the system.

When debt collectors call, ask for their full company name, their name, their employee ID number, who exactly they are calling for and the reason for their call. If they choose not to give you all of the information you request, tell them you will be sending an office written request to quit calling your telephone number immediately. Send it return receipt so it has to be signed for and state in the letter you will be pursueing any and all legal avenues if they call again after being told numerous times the person they are trying to contact is not at your telephone number.

Then go to the "No call list" and put all of your telephone numbers on it, it isn't a perfect system but it does help cut down the number of telemarketing calls.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:40 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
1. Put a freeze on your credit report. That should require you to go through a verification process before any credit can be opened using your information.

2. Request a copy of your credit report to make sure everything looks in order and is how you expect it to be.

3. Put your number on the Do Not Call Registry. Do Not Call Registry

4. Keep a log of all the unsolicited calls and report them to through the FTC website.

5. Your phone probably has some kind of "block" feature. You can save unwanted numbers in your blocked callers list. I use mine just for the purpose of reporting when I receive an unsolicited call. The system really does work once your number is in the database.

Good luck to you. I hope it's just a mixed up name and nothing more sinister.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If they choose not to give you all of the information you request, tell them you will be sending an office written request to quit calling your telephone number immediately.

Send it to WHO? To what address? These people don't give any information. And if you ask them too many questions, they hang up. They're POS debt collection telemarketers, reading from a script and don't care that they're harassing someone. As soon as they have to deviate from their script, they give up and hang up. And their caller ID is bogus.

I don't know where you're posting from. But I live in the United States, where nobody needs to follow any sort of law when it comes to debt collection. In a decent, reasonable country, these companies would see jail time for what they do. Not here.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:31 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
I will try to explain it to you. A real debt collector will give you relevant information because they want to get paid. Their position is to say whatever they need to say to get you to send in money. The fact that you can't get that information means it's some type of scam.

Nevertheless, there are simple ways to stop it. I've had my identity stolen twice and I used to get the bogus scam calls.

1. Say to the person that you are interested in paying your debt but need information about the account in question. You will either get more information or a hang up.

2. RecordioPro offers a phone recording service for a relatively low cost. Sign up for it so you can record the phone calls when they come in (or do it some other way if you have that capability on your phone).

3. Go to the FTC.gov website I originally posted in my first response and register your number(s). It takes about thirty days for your number to be "officially" in the system, but ALL unsolicited calls can be reported and they WILL follow up on it. I have never received a call from any company after reporting them through the website. (Note: Legitimate debts collectors have a right to call between certain hours).

4. Your phone probably has some way to block phone numbers. Many cell phones and landlines have some kind of feature. You may have to find the user manual for your make and model online. Once you have it, follow the instructions to block the phone numbers. My phone allows the phone to ring once but then the blocked caller just gets a busy signal.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance