Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:33 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
That's strange... as a tenant, those expenses have been taken out of MY deposit every time I have switched apartments!

My landlord/landlady just spent the entirety of the months of June and July touring Europe. I don't get the impression they are doing too bad at all...
I haven't rented in ages but I thought general wear and tear was part of doing business. When the tenant left, if the apartment was "clean", as in not trashed, and the carpet wasn't filthy and stained or burned, fixing nail holes in the walls, repainting or touching up, doing a general clean and cleaning carpet was just a matter of course and not taken out of your security deposit.

The first place we left we got our deposit back in it's entirety, and the second place -- well, she was such a harridan we were lucky to get out with our sanity. Losing the security deposit was a given.... and we didn't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 10:55 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34
That's strange... as a tenant, those expenses have been taken
out of MY deposit every time I have switched apartments!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I haven't rented in ages but I thought general wear and tear was part of doing business.

When the tenant left, if the apartment was "clean"...
was just a matter of course and not taken out of your security deposit.
Duration of tenancy is the difference being experienced (I suspect).

If a tenant is in place long enough (5yrs as a minimum) then aside from malicious damage
or way out of line filth pretty much anything needed to 'make ready" is on the LL.
Or should be.

Of course some LL's have learned nasty tricks from unscrupulous PMC's
for all manner of ways to gig tenants for additional income.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:25 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,488,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The second piece of advice is to only rent to people with good credit. A persons credit record tells a landlord everything they need to know about a tenant. For every 1 person with good credit there are 7 or 8 with bad credit and a sad story about how their lousy credit is someone else's fault.
When it comes to tenants there are only 2 kinds of people, the ones who are responsible and pay their bills and the ones who don't. You are trusting a tenant with an asset worth in many cases hundreds of thousands of dollars, don't take chances.
^^^ This

Given a choice between someone unemployed, with 2 pets, but 800+ credit or someone steadily employed, with no pets, but a 600- credit score, I will take the 800 score every time. The person with 800 credit has life figured out. If they don't have the income right now, they still know where the money is coming from. If their pets do damage, they are prepared to acknowledge it and cover the repairs. It isn't about the score, though, it is the attitude toward debt. I actually don't care what the actual number is, I care what the report looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance