Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 03:28 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times

Advertisements

I've never been married, much less divorced, and have only a cursory knowledge of divorce math. I've had an on-off FWB relationship with a former coworker. I may not have all the details straight, but hang with me here.

Background: They're in their 30s. Twins in elementary school. They moved states two years ago. She liked the new location and he didn't. He moved back to where they were originally from. The divorce is being processed in the former state. She cheated on him. I'm not sure who filed for the divorce. I think it was her.

She makes around $90k from her day job and has a small, internet-based business on the side. She telecommutes with an NYC based firm. If she were to lose this job (she was fired from her two previous jobs), there is no way she can make this in her local market. He makes around $50k. From what I could keep straight from what she told me, it sounds like they're in debt to the tune of about $140k-$150k together. Here's how it seems to break down.

1) $70k in student loan debt for someone. She went to a cheap public school and graduated years ago. I'm guessing it's hers, but I can't imagine how she managed to run that up. She says her parents and grandparents are both millionaires and will pay this off once the divorce is finalized.

2) About $55k in credit card debt. I guess this just piled up over the years. They didn't seem to have an extravagant lifestyle and both areas are fairly low cost. Who knows.

3) $10k-$20k of medical debt.

4) They have an older Altima and a newer Santa Fe. Both cars are paid off.

Here's what I don't understand.

1) She says he will owe her $37k over five years for "equitable debt payment." He barely earns half of what she does. She said about 65% of the debt was "hers." This makes no sense at all given their income and that she supposedly ran it up.

2) She hasn't asked for child support or alimony. I'm guessing the "debt payment" thing could be in lieu of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 03:39 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
The manual on divorce math was written by Lewis Carroll while he was feeling particularly pissy about Alice rejecting his advances. It is a cruel, heartless system, even when it's just about money.

Short form: unless you have access to all the financial records and court filings, you will never make it make sense. And even then, you'd only make it make sense according to law and the judge's interpretations.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Sounds like something akin to an "equity swap" which I have personal experience with. When I filed for divorce and my kids were little, I didn't want to have to move them out of their house - I just wanted my ex husband out of the house. So I proposed an equity swap, since we had a big chunk of equity in the house. Basically he didn't have to pay child support for a few years until what he WOULD have paid totaled his half of the equity.

This made it very easy on him to go back to school and get a master's degree, because basically he didn't have to pay child support. It made it harder on me because I wasn't receiving child support payments and had four school age kids. But at least we didn't have to move and give him half the equity in the house.

So maybe they just divvied up the debt they both owed. It doesn't really matter what he makes - if he owes the money, he owes the money. Why should she be stuck with his debts? Clearly they both ran up the debt, and the fact that she knows she owes 65 percent of it tells me that they've already figured out who owes what and worked out the payments and who is going to pay them.

What I don't understand is why or how she's not going to get child support. I could be wrong, but I thought that was mandatory in all states.

Doesn't sound like you're getting the full picture of all the financial details and to be honest, it doesn't sound like she owes you specifics at this stage in your relationship.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:17 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've never been married, much less divorced, and have only a cursory knowledge of divorce math. I've had an on-off FWB relationship with a former coworker. I may not have all the details straight, but hang with me here.

Background: They're in their 30s. Twins in elementary school. They moved states two years ago. She liked the new location and he didn't. He moved back to where they were originally from. The divorce is being processed in the former state. She cheated on him. I'm not sure who filed for the divorce. I think it was her.
The he should file a divorce for cause, instead of no-fault divorce.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:21 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sounds like something akin to an "equity swap" which I have personal experience with. When I filed for divorce and my kids were little, I didn't want to have to move them out of their house - I just wanted my ex husband out of the house. So I proposed an equity swap, since we had a big chunk of equity in the house. Basically he didn't have to pay child support for a few years until what he WOULD have paid totaled his half of the equity.

This made it very easy on him to go back to school and get a master's degree, because basically he didn't have to pay child support. It made it harder on me because I wasn't receiving child support payments and had four school age kids. But at least we didn't have to move and give him half the equity in the house.

So maybe they just divvied up the debt they both owed. It doesn't really matter what he makes - if he owes the money, he owes the money. Why should she be stuck with his debts? Clearly they both ran up the debt, and the fact that she knows she owes 65 percent of it tells me that they've already figured out who owes what and worked out the payments and who is going to pay them.

What I don't understand is why or how she's not going to get child support. I could be wrong, but I thought that was mandatory in all states.

Doesn't sound like you're getting the full picture of all the financial details and to be honest, it doesn't sound like she owes you specifics at this stage in your relationship.
I have no idea who ran what up. With that said, he seems to have much less of an ability to pay. The way I understood it when she told me about the child support, it sounds like she doesn't want it.

Once the grandparents pay off the student loans, they're both stuck with roughly $40k. She can barely make it on $90k in a reasonably low COL area. He's going to be in debt for the foreseeable future.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:27 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The he should file a divorce for cause, instead of no-fault divorce.
Depends on the state some are no fault so it wouldn’t matter who did what

Old 02-25-2018, 05:07 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
I would think the Judge would have a problem with a No Child Support agreement.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:03 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times
Quote:
Here's what I don't understand.
Quote:
I have no idea who ran what up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Short form: unless you have access to all the financial records and court filings, you will never make it make sense.
As I said. If your intent here is to discuss the range of possibilities left by the huge area of unknowns, have at it. If you're looking for some kind of absolute or considered legal opinion... I wouldn't hold your breath. These things turn on long chains of specific assessments and narrow judgment.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:36 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
As I said. If your intent here is to discuss the range of possibilities left by the huge area of unknowns, have at it. If you're looking for some kind of absolute or considered legal opinion... I wouldn't hold your breath. These things turn on long chains of specific assessments and narrow judgment.
And who's willing to give what just to make the madness end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance