Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:41 PM

268 posts, read 383,491 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was under the impression that having little to no credit card debt makes it easier to get a mortgage since it translates to low debt-to-income ratio.

But recently I came across some internet articles/posts which imply that even if all the credit cards are paid off (i.e. zero credit card debt), your credit limits impact the ratio!
Here is just one of them:
How Much Home Can You Afford?

So, if my credit card debt is ZERO, but my total credit card limit is, say, $50k, the mortgage lender figures out the minimum monthly payment on a potential $50k cc debt, which will of course dramatically increase my debt-to-income ratio???

Is that correct?

Thanks
DrD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 04:48 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Interesting article. Still, one's income and their lack of debt, will have significantly more impact on one's ability to secure a mortgage, than the amount of one's 'credit limit' (which doesn't really mean much in the context of one's ability to repay a mortgage).

For example, would a college student who acquires a dozen credit cards, each with a $5K limit, be considered a better risk than an employed person who has one card with a $50K limit?

Old 10-21-2014, 11:19 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,770 times
First off... I wish people would come up with more creative names for their articles. I'm pretty sure I've seen that same title over 50 times already.

I don't trust that article though. They use a lot of "here's a 'fact' so you should fear this unrelated 'fact'" type logic.

I can't say with certainty that lenders don't factor in the potential minimum payment. I can say that if the lender I used did that, it would have dramatically hurt my ratios to the point where I don't think I could have gotten my mortgage.

Beyond that, I can say say that this guy in particular seems to be making stuff up and I wouldn't trust him at all.

His article reeks of "I know some way to calculate ratios that you didn't think of so be afraid and make sure you listen to me."

I wouldn't worry about having credit cards with no balance on them. If those were really a risk, no one would be able to get a mortgage since those are actually typically the people with the highest rates available.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:31 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD76 View Post
Is that correct?

Thanks
DrD
No.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:48 AM

Thank you very much thelopez (as always ) Jeo and jghorton.
I am hoping that the article is incorrect.
I will, of course, check with my lender when the time comes, and if it turns out to be true, I guess I will call up the credit companies and lower my limit!
Thanks everyone
DrD

Old 10-22-2014, 11:01 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
It doesn't really make sense for mortgage lenders to deny someone simply due to their limit being high.

To do so amounts to saying "We won't give you the loan, because you could spend too much money on the cards and consequently not be able to pay us back".

But that's true whether you have credit limits or not. Even if you have ZERO credit lines, you could overspend to the point that you can't pay the mortgage. For instance, you just got paid and have $3000 in the bank, mortgage payment of $1200 is due in one week. You withdraw $2500 and spend it on drugs and hookers. Then you can't pay your mortgage!

Is this really different from being unable to pay the mortgage because you overspent on credit cards?

The real question is, under what conditions is the risk of being unable to make a mortgage payment due to out-of-control impulsive behavior a bigger or a smaller risk?

Old 10-22-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
It doesn't really make sense for mortgage lenders to deny someone simply due to their limit being high.

To do so amounts to saying "We won't give you the loan, because you could spend too much money on the cards and consequently not be able to pay us back".

But that's true whether you have credit limits or not. Even if you have ZERO credit lines, you could overspend to the point that you can't pay the mortgage. For instance, you just got paid and have $3000 in the bank, mortgage payment of $1200 is due in one week. You withdraw $2500 and spend it on drugs and hookers. Then you can't pay your mortgage!

The real question is, under what conditions is the risk of being unable to make a mortgage payment due to out-of-control impulsive behavior a bigger or a smaller risk?
I agree! Thanks Ncole!

Old 10-22-2014, 07:30 PM

416 posts, read 871,479 times
Quote:
Is that correct?

Thanks
DrD
No. Conforming underwriting standards use current debt, not projected possible debt.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Quote:
Thank you very much thelopez (as always ) Jeo and jghorton.
I am hoping that the article is incorrect.
I will, of course, check with my lender when the time comes, and if it turns out to be true, I guess I will call up the credit companies and lower my limit!
Thanks everyone
DrD
I wouldn't lower my credit limit. I'd check with various lenders.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:53 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
It is about "available" credit that can be slightly damaging to some people. I think it really depends on the persons income, credit history, etc. If you have a flawless credit history of making payments, having $50k in "available" credit on, say, credit cards, shouldn't be too much of an issue if your debt to income ratio is low.

However, if your debt to income ratio is "close" to being acceptable, and then they see you have FAR more "available credit" than you could possibly manage, it could raise some red flags.

That is why they say not to keep too many credit card accounts open. I have 3 cards with zero debt, and a total limit on them that is less than 5% of my yearly income.

Seeing this article does make me realize I should probably close my two I don't use, with high interest rates and crappy rewards program, and get one better card to go with my current "good" card (mostly just as a backup type card)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance