Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:19 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I don't know how you live, but my roommate and I each have our own rooms and that translates into a higher housing and utility cost.
Ok, fair point. If the couple would live in a studio apt then it would be cheaper than two singles each renting a room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Our food is more or less separate as well.
What is this mysterious food cost savings you and Lowexpectations speak of? I don't get why 1 person cannot consume half the food of two people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 07:33 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
such as....?
Auto insurance is one, health insurance could be two I am sure you could come up with many more if you took a bit to think about it

Old 12-07-2014, 09:25 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What is this mysterious food cost savings you and Lowexpectations speak of? I don't get why 1 person cannot consume half the food of two people.
Nothing mysterious about it - food packaged in smaller portions costs more per serving.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:30 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
I'd be financially better off if I hadn't paid 35 years' living expenses for a wife and two kids, but I'd be poorer in other ways.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:04 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I always read that the opposite was true. Married folks are one average richer than single folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
They are idiots also.

Past the "relationship" meaning in the article; there is more access to funds with two people than with one person. This is the basics of building wealth. A married couple making combine $150k a year will build more wealth than a single person making $75k a year, all other things equal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
That's rubbish. Splitting the rent and groceries alone saves alot of money. I sure wouldn't be wealthier if single.
Yep, pretty much most people are better off in marriage... especially if there are two incomes (and you are splitting the cost of housing, utilities, and similar expenses. Not to mention pooling financial risks and tax benefits).

But it's not a universal rule... while it's true of most people, it's not true of all. I think I am one of the exceptions. In my case, I used to be married to a spendthrift who wanted to "keep up with the Jones," have a bigger house than his friends, buy fancy new cars all the time, and thought nothing of getting more credit cards when the ones he was using were maxed out.

The day after the divorce was finalized, I was much worse off financially than I was the day before we married--I'd moved "backwards" during the marriage and was at the lowest point financially in my life (even post college with my student loan debt). It took me years to dig out from the debt he built up for both of us and start rebuilding my finances... which I am happy to say I am doing Now I'm back on track and my net worth is positive and am at an all time financial high in my life that keeps going up.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:11 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
The potential easily exists for a couple to be better off financially than if the individuals were single. Now of course, there is a spectrum in real life with tons of anecdotal examples and situations where there will be varying truth to this generality.

Still, being able to leverage the costs of necessities and basics across two incomes cannot be denied.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:29 AM

466 posts, read 644,173 times
They *believe* this (they are wrong) because savers marry spenders. Therefore half believe it's costing them to be in the relationship, the other half know the opposite to be true.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Auto insurance is one, health insurance could be two I am sure you could come up with many more if you took a bit to think about it
How much do you save on these?

I suppose I might also add that if you're married, you have the advantage of "household labor specialization" which could also save money, but I can't give numbers because I have zero firsthand experience when it comes to marriage.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Nothing mysterious about it - food packaged in smaller portions costs more per serving.
Ok, true, hence what I said in post #16. A single can get these savings too by buying larger packages and refridgerating leftovers, but of course many wouldn't actually do it - and wasted food is wasted food.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
The potential easily exists for a couple to be better off financially than if the individuals were single. Now of course, there is a spectrum in real life with tons of anecdotal examples and situations where there will be varying truth to this generality.

Still, being able to leverage the costs of necessities and basics across two incomes cannot be denied.
Some of the necessities and basics, not all. Having two incomes is only an advantage insofar as there are some costs for two that are less than twice the cost for one. This is really the crucial point - the savings, where they exist, are due to economies of scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance