Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:17 AM

19 posts, read 65,340 times

Advertisements

Near my home there is two gasoline stations right next to each other. One is a Liberty Station and it sells gas for $2.11 a gallon. Right next door is a Shell Station that sells gas for $2.31 a gallon. I notice that the Shell station is always busier even though their gasoline is 20 cents more expensive.

I have to assume they go there because they think a brand name gas station sells higher quality gasoline. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 08:21 AM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Interest View Post

I have to assume they go there because they think a brand name gas station sells higher quality gasoline. What do you think?
I think your assumption may be wrong. Assumptions usually are.

Since you're retired now, how about sauntering over and asking them directly?

Old 07-19-2016, 08:38 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
It might be the location of the gas station. Even if directly across or near the more expensive station, if its difficult to enter and exit due to traffic patterns, etc, many will choose the more expensive one for the ease of negotiating getting in/out. I'm a bargain hunter, but sometimes other factors come into consideration. If getting in/out requires me to make awkward turns, involving extra time and frustration, I might just consider paying more for he convenience. However, I would seek out a cheaper gas station for regular use and just go to the more expensive one on an occasional basis as needed.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:43 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Gasoline is a fungible product. The tankers that deliver to different stations can be filling up at the exact same bulk tank. There are additives some brand names might add, but a bottle of "Lucas" gas additive used sparingly will more than compensate when needed. The one reason to avoid stations - especially those with low traffic - is that the gas in the underground tanks is a little more likely to have water in it. The ethanol in summer blends acts like dry gas, but the gas can still be problematic. I go for the busy station with the least expensive gas.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:05 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I wouldn't. But that's just me.
My car doesn't require it, I used only premium for a very short while…but then just rethought it.
I'm particular about my oil changes and other car maintenance. I don't abuse the vehicle. It runs fine.
I just got tired of spending more for gas. That's really all there was to it.

I use the cheapest gas I can find.

As for paying more for "brand name gas." Where I live, the two major grocery chains have "gas points" programs.
So you might see me filling up at Shell, but I'm getting .10-.20 cents a gallon OFF the sign price, because of gas points.
And I'm single, so don't spend that much on food. If you''re a couple with two kids, you could get 200 gas points every time you shop…COUPLE THAT with a day of the week 5 cents off regular promotion. And that the cheapest gas you'll find anywhere.

I know couples who will take BOTH CARS and fill up using gas points AND fill up only on 5 cents of Thursday. One person will fill a car, then they switch and fill the other car on ONE pumo purchase.

If I didn't have those points NO WAY I'd be getting Shell gas.
I don't have a BJs, Costco or Sam's Club membership, so I'll have to make due with gas stations like Xtra, Crown, Liberty, Free State, etc.
The problem in my area is that stations like Exxon-Mobil, Shell, Texaco, etc seem to have the area all sewn up.
The ONE cheapie station we had just became yet another Exxon-Mobil.

Last edited by selhars; 07-19-2016 at 11:15 AM..

Old 07-19-2016, 11:15 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
If your area participates in a store w/gas points, Shell is teamed up w/Giant - if people are getting more off/gallon, it's worth it to them.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:38 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Interest View Post
Near my home there is two gasoline stations right next to each other. One is a Liberty Station and it sells gas for $2.11 a gallon. Right next door is a Shell Station that sells gas for $2.31 a gallon. I notice that the Shell station is always busier even though their gasoline is 20 cents more expensive.
If given a choice and the prices were similar, I would choose a Top Tier station.
Retailers

Old 07-19-2016, 12:47 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,082 times
Most people use named brand gas because of the credit cards they issue and that they no longer have to carry cash and can get gas at several different location in your area or even in the country.

I use a Phillips 66 card because I can get in, buy gas and be gone in mins and I can get gas 24/7 even when there is no one there. If I need gas when I'm out of my general area I always look for a Phillips 66/Conoco or 76 station because they all use the same card.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:56 PM

472 posts, read 473,764 times
I never use no brand gas in my car. I only use top tier. If I have to pay more it's worth it to me for knowing the quailty of product.

If I was driving a Hyundai I wouldn't care as much but would still stick to the cheapest quailty brand.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:40 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
For me it's about location. I've been going to the same 76 station for over 25 years. They are by far not the cheapest, but they are the most convenient for me. I've heard that the gas at the independent stations is the same stuff, but I'm wary of those claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance