Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 655 times

Advertisements

My daughter is applying for a mortgage and needs to write a credit explanation letter. Her only "bad" credit is more that 7 years old from the date of delinquency or the last date of activity. What is the law I can quote regarding the 4 year statute of limitations in California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 09:49 AM

18,550 posts, read 15,626,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub2008 View Post
My daughter is applying for a mortgage and needs to write a credit explanation letter. Her only "bad" credit is more that 7 years old from the date of delinquency or the last date of activity. What is the law I can quote regarding the 4 year statute of limitations in California?
You are confusing two different things. The statute of limitations is the amount of time that a creditor has to file a lawsuit without the debtor being able to use the legal defense that too much time has passed.

This is different from the length of time a default/charge-off will remain on a debtor's credit report.

If the debt requires a letter of explanation, statute of limitations is not the answer. In case you didn't realize it, an "explanation" should be the debtor making a case as to why that default was originally caused by circumstances outside of his/her control that are unlikely to be repeated. In plain English, why did the debtor default in the first place? And why should the creditor believe that it will not happen again? This is what the letter should explain. Bolster with supporting documents. For example, if it was due to a prolonged illness, provide the pertinent medical documents; if it was a layoff, document that as well.

Last edited by ncole1; 04-30-2015 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-30-2015, 10:05 AM

22,639 posts, read 47,797,904 times
Quote:
Any quote regarding that is useless for the reason mentioned above).

Oh, and let your daughter get her own mortgage! Why are you even involved (I hope not to co-sign!)?

Old 04-30-2015, 10:21 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,280,517 times
Quote:
Unless I'm missing something it sounds like you are saying that her credit reports are reporting something older than 7 years. Yes? If so, she just needs to dispute as too old to report.

As the other poster mentioned, the 4 yr SOL is the time frame in which you can be sued.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:31 AM

2,709 posts, read 3,393,406 times
My Wife and I were in the same situation with a company that we bought an item from....changed our mind, and told them we would refuse delivery and return. Years later it shows up while trying to get a mortgage....ended up paying for the items we refused delivery on and getting a letter of satisfaction on the debt.....had to pay interest also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance