Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:36 PM

85 posts, read 92,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I sympathize with Bay Area rents and home prices. But you need to take off your rose colored glasses about the standard of living in the 1950s. It wasn't nearly as good as you're making it out to be. People were content with less in those days.
Like people in the Bay Area now? content sharing studios with 5 other people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 11:36 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,067,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus One View Post
Name another place on Earth that has cool weather, jobs, and doesn't involving uprooting my entire life.
Ok, then stop complaining that you're miserable. Everyone makes tough choices in life. Nobody has it all.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:38 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,120,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
That's why I don't have 401K yet because I feel like I need a bigger increase to balance everything out. I plan to get 401K in about a year or two once I am out of debt and have a bigger salary.
I don't know your income and monthly expenses of course, but I would rethink this plan^^ and seriously look into contributing to your 401K right away. Does your company provide any matching contributions? If so, I more strongly encourage you to consider contributing up the full matching amount.

One of the smartest financial decisions I ever made was contributing to 401K from the very beginning.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:41 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,812,805 times
Quote:
Years ago, when I was in high school, my family was poor, we couldnt afford a phone nor A/C, I shared a room with 3 other people. For lunch, I had peanut butter and jelly sandwich for years, because I couldnt afford to purchase even a burrito. Sound like you have a very sheltered life.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:42 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,664,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I don't know your income and monthly expenses of course, but I would rethink this plan^^ and seriously look into contributing to your 401K right away. Does your company provide any matching contributions? If so, I more strongly encourage you to consider contributing up the full matching amount.

One of the smartest financial decisions I ever made was contributing to 401K from the very beginning.
I second this excellent advice.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:42 PM

403 posts, read 474,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post

I will consider talking to the lady in HR about it and may consider sometime in 2016.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
So I should wait around like a vulture to inherit?
That wasn't suggested, either explicitly or implicitly. Grown ups assess reality, however unpleasant. Then they take action and make tough choices.

If they value cool weather above all else, then they accept they might be living with parents or in a small apartment the rest of their lives.

Or they find ways to earn more money by getting a better job, a side job, or starting their own business.

Or they decide to move where the cost of living is cheaper, and they accept that the weather won't be as nice. There are other places in the U.S. besides Texas, by the way.

What grown ups don't do is complain incessantly about how unfair things are (and to a degree, I agree with you--but you can't change it), or how much better things were in the past (which probably isn't true--and even if it is, it does nothing to help you in the present).

Life is short and complaining just wastes a lot of time and energy.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:45 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,812,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by te3t View Post
I will consider talking to the lady in HR about it and may consider sometime in 2016.
If you contribute to 401k, you lower your tax, therefore you might want to raise your deduction numbers, you get to bring home more.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:45 PM

85 posts, read 92,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Years ago, when I was in high school, my family was poor, we couldnt afford a phone nor A/C, I shared a room with 3 other people. For lunch, I had peanut butter and jelly sandwich for years, because I couldnt afford to purchase even a burrito. Sound like you have a very sheltered life.
Not everyone who doesn't make 200,000 a year should live like that.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, like that. Number of people per household was much higher in the 1950s than it is today.

Hyperbole is annoying and not appreciated.

You're either willing to put up with the high rents & home prices in the Bay Area or you're not. Decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance